VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not 4X4 related but figured someone here could be of help.

I've never driven in the snow ( I live near the coast in California so we are lucky to get a few drops of rain the past few years), and my cars are generally equipped with no-seasons. I'm going to be driving in snowy areas few times this winter and thought it would be a good idea to pick up Winter/Snow tires. Is there any issue by running them on dry pavement for an extended period of time? other than accelerated wear? I'll probably be on dry pavement for about 200 miles before hitting cold temps/snow etc.

TIA.

·
Super Moderator
11,632 Posts
They are also a bit louder than all seasons, but as said, they'll work fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You'll feel a difference in how "soft" the ride is (kind of feels like riding on marshmellows) if you are driving on Winters in 60 degree weather compared to 30 degree weather, but you'll be ok/won't have any major issues. They actually may perform better than your no-seasons in rain as well (just my personal experience).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same as everyone has said before, not a problem. But do keep in mind that you need to ride slower than normally, as you want to be able to come to a complete stop without hitting your brakes like a maniac.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
They wear much faster as temps go up, so don't use them in the summer. Braking distance is usually longer, as the rubber is softer and may skid easier.

Side story... I had a set of blizzaks on my old GTI, that were worn past snow duty so I used them up through the summer. Took the car to the drag strip one night with them, worn pretty low, down into the wear bar. I wen't ahead and used the water box just for fun, turned out to be a good idea. Something about the soft compound got nice and hot and sticky. Launch was much jerkier and I bogged. When I got back to the pit area, there was gravel stuck all around my tires like two big lint rollers. So next run I did it again, but gave it a bit more beans for the launch. Made my best run ever 15.0 at 97 :thumbup: not too bad for a 1.8t with a diode and ebay MBC.

·
Registered
22,278 Posts
I usually run my winters until the salt is washed away from the road to keep the crap off my nice summer wheels.

No noticeable wear or issues in doing so, sometimes that is until early May up here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts