VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to replace my snub mount. I've been researching the DIY posts and videos here and on Passatworld.
The "normal" procedure involves removing the front end to gain access. I can probably do this, but I came across this tip on Passatworld:

"You don't need to remove the front end to replace the snub mount. if you unbolt the snub mount from the block, you can easily remove it. Then remove the bracket from the radiator support. replace your snub mount, then set the radiator support bracket on the snub mount, slide them into place at the same time, it will take a bit of maneuvering but it is doable. "

What do you all think?

Another question: I will need to raise and support the engine a couple inches to install the new snub mount. Is using a block of wood across the oil pan and a hydraulic jack a good, safe way to do this? Or is there a better lift point? Lift it from above?

Thank you.

·
Registered
373 Posts
In theory it sounds reasonable. Possible problems would be access to the bolts and trying to get the bolts started without cross-threading when re-installing, etc. If it looks like it would work you probably don't have much to lose since if you get stuck you can just pull the front out.

I don't have a V6 but I've supported other engines using the oil pan before with a wood block and jack. It shouldn't dent the oil pan and if you still have the motor mounts installed I don't see much danger for just removing the snub mount. Supporting it from above it probably safer but it's also a bunch more work unless you have a engine hoist readily at hand. Are you sure you need to lift the engine for this? It seems as if the snub mount isn't really strong enough to support the engine and is more of a side-to-size damper but as mentioned, I don't have a V6. Maybe the engine just needs a bit of wiggle room to get the bracket bolts started. In that case, I wouldn't hesitate to jack it up from underneath.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The snub mount foam rubber is totally gone. This caused the front of the engine to pivot down a couple inches to the point where the metal support rod for the foam snub mount is now resting on the bottom of the bracket that’s attached to the radiator. Metal to metal contact now. The bottom of my oil pan now contacts my Thor skid plate. None of this is good and is the reason I need to replace the snub mount soon.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I did this method the first time around and it wasnt bad. I did support the engine. I will be doing it again shortly and will just remove the front end. I dont think its worth the hand squeezing etc.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I cut down an allen wrench (8mm?) to remove the bolts on the engine. Not much room, but it works and is faster than removing the front end.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks. The snub mount foam rubber is totally gone. This caused the front of the engine to pivot down a couple inches to the point where the metal support rod for the foam snub mount is now resting on the bottom of the bracket that’s attached to the radiator. Metal to metal contact now. The bottom of my oil pan now contacts my Thor skid plate. None of this is good and is the reason I need to replace the snub mount soon.
I don't believe the snub mount is supposed to bear weight. It's just to prevent the engine from twisting much (note how it's off-center from the crank) and dampen some vibrations. If the rubber is gone and the metal is touching the bracket, I'd take a look at your motor mounts. If they're letting the engine sag, that may even be the cause of the snub mount rubber falling apart.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I had to adjust the snub on my son's 01.5 V6 Passat after putting in new motor and trans mounts. Since it's a manual, I used 034 rubber motor mounts and the idle is very smooth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts