VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
had some issues with my g/f's 96 golf today...was driving along and all of a sudden the oil buzzer/beeper comes on telling me that its time to pull over and turn the car off or else...
kinda odd cause i just checked the oil and it was good, so i pull over pop the hood and look around, oil level still good, but there appeared to be some fresh oil coming from the top of the sender ontop of the oil cooler...IIRC this is the pressure sender NOT the temp sender so I'm thinking that the pressure sender is bad and is sending the warning signal to the buzzer...and i remember having a problem that was sender related on my VR6...
but, i'm curious to see if anyone has had any oil pump problems, i don't ever recall hearing that oil pumps going out were a common ailment on the crossflow motors, but i figured i'd double check and see if anyone has had problems...if so i may delve a little deeper into the motor and put a new pump in for ish and giggles sake...

·
Registered
19,596 Posts
Re: (Fire32NJetta)

Quote, originally posted by Fire32NJetta »
replace that little sensor....and the one on the side of the head while your at it too....both of mine went.

should be about $14 for both at the dealership http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: (1SickWhtDub)

werd, any reason i should go ahead and check the pump pressure after this? and whats the easiest way to do that if i wanted to? and does anyone know what kinda oil pressure a crossflow sees? i know what the VR's are like, but not too sure on the x-flow....
thanks all for responses!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re: (Krautaholic)

Three questions:
1) What does the sender in the side of the head do? Is it a second pressure sender or something?
2) What is the single green wire on the left side of the oil cooler for? I'm talking about the wire that attaches to a round knob on the top of the cooler.
3) How about the other single wire to the rear of the cooler with the black rubber boot around it?
I understand that hydraulic dub motors run very high oil pressure, whereas solid lifers run less. Several VW mechanics have told me that, fully warm, 3-4 bar (45-60 psi) at idle and 5 bar (75 psi) or more at speed is not uncommon and perfectly normal in hydro motors.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Re: (andy839)

im getting the same exact thing on my vr6. Ill be driving, and the buzzer will come on, so i turn off the car and start it back up and it goes to normal.
I know the oil pressure switch is gone i can see the leak around it. Do i need to replace my oil pressure sensor?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts