VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

8721 - 8740 of 8787 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,005 Posts
The wildfires out in the mountains here in CO are really getting intense. Ash falling from the sky, hard to breathe. Managed a few rides in the last couple days though. Hoped on the BMX and hit the Frisco Adventure park which an absolute masterpiece of a public park funded and maintained by the city.

Untitled by Nick Smith, on Flickr

Yesterday I went out to the usual weekend spot at Trestle Bike Park and was greeted by even more smoke and as the day went on a small fire not too far away really started to get bigger. The sky was black and the ash was falling like flurries at times. Really hope we get some rain or they get it under control soon. Made for a fairly epic looking day out there though.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Loaded up the bike for a shake down before sending it off to ID. Wanted 50 miles but I called it quits and ended up with 35. Annoyed by just a slight bit of thigh contact with the bag...going to try to space it back a little bit. Don't recall having that problem previously but this is also the first time I've had it stuffed to capacity.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,005 Posts
Found some moon dust in Vail today.

Also some aspen trees....which are starting to turn yellow at high elevations already :what:

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Last ride before Idaho was today. Was supposed to be pretty much all paved but made everyone do some gravel which was pretty soggy in spots with all the rain we had. Ate too much at our 65 mile food stop but felt okay once digested. Been pouring on and off all over the area all day but we managed only to get caught up in the heavy stuff once. Rest was just drizzling and overcast. Nice way to end a stupid hot month ended up with 118 miles.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
On labor day my son and I completed a tough 20 mile 4.5 hour mountain bike ride that was a fundraising event for the daughter of o good friend of ours. Our longest ride prior to this was 1.5 hours. it was pretty gnarly and exhausting but I was super proud of my son. He is 10 and was the only kid under 18 to attempt the ride.

The ride was through 3 different areas that were connected by gravel roads. It was an out and back ride. Between each area there was an aid station where we could fuel up. When we got to the last place to ride, all of the adults were blown away that my son was there. We did this on hardtails as well. We climbed a total of 3,000 vertical feet.

If anyone is curious and wants to check out the ride on trailforks, the ride started at Sleepy Hollow -> Hinesburg Town Forest -> Carse Hills -> Hinesburg Town Forest -> Sleepy Hollow. (In VT)

https://www.facebook.com/delsride/

IMG_9392

·
Registered
29 Posts
Woo-hoo!

On labor day my son and I completed a tough 20 mile 4.5 hour mountain bike ride that was a fundraising event for the daughter of o good friend of ours. Our longest ride prior to this was 1.5 hours. it was pretty gnarly and exhausting but I was super proud of my son. He is 10 and was the only kid under 18 to attempt the ride.

The ride was through 3 different areas that were connected by gravel roads. It was an out and back ride. Between each area there was an aid station where we could fuel up. When we got to the last place to ride, all of the adults were blown away that my son was there. We did this on hardtails as well. We climbed a total of 3,000 vertical feet.

If anyone is curious and wants to check out the ride on trailforks, the ride started at Sleepy Hollow -> Hinesburg Town Forest -> Carse Hills -> Hinesburg Town Forest -> Sleepy Hollow. (In VT)
That's a big accomplishment under any circumstances. Congratulations to both of you!

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
SnF 400 didn't go to plan. Left knee issues started about 50 miles into day one. Day one ended with about 120 miles under our belt with my heart rate and breathing out of control. Tool two hours to get back to normal. Camped...and all my water froze over night due to an unexpected cold snap. Even my eye drops were frozen which kind of sucks with contacts and dealing with all the dust and smoke.

Day two was our big climb up dollarhide to 9300'. Knee was still hurting but nothing crazy. Maybe 35 or so miles into day two knee pain went from dull to sharp. Oddly it was more painful spinning higher cadence on the flat or gradual downs than grinding up hills. I bailed around mile 50 in the town of Ketchum. Everything after that town made it very difficult for any sort of extraction should I need it...plus the pace was pretty slow and I couldn't risk getting caught up in Stanley at night where temps were said to be dropping below 20.

So...we ended up back in Boise. I decided to push the knee with the safety net of being close to town should I mess it up. Got in some great single track in town on Friday then we got shuttled up to Bogus Basin today to ride the trails up there then back to town. Was so much fun. My knee feels like **** after Bogus but totally worth it. Going to rest it up for a while and see how it goes. Might also ride again here before I head back to FL on Monday. Hate to waste the opportunity to ride these trails.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
We went to WV last weekend and did a family bike ride on the Greenbrier River Trail. I towed my 60lb dog in a trailer on a single speed hardtail. It was really nice, we only rode 20 miles of the trail together but someday I'd like to get back and do the entire stretch.

We rented a small pre-Civil War cabin
Marlinton, West Virginia by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
West Virginia by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

Marlinton, WV by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
Greenbrier River Trail by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
Greenbrier River Trail by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,740 Posts
That does look like a good ride. There are a couple gravelly rail trial rides in the NE that I want to ride.

I broke a new thing:

Rode over a medium root at speed, as one does on an XC bike, and *pop*. Hmm. Whatever. Felt fine. I kept riding it for a while, slowly coming to the realization the front wheel was much further out than normal. Everything else felt normal.

It's not even like I'm a large person or huck all the sends or whatever the cool words for jumping huge **** is these days. I'm old and scared of hurting myself. I think/hope it's just the lower bolt/bushing and not a tweaked shock eyelet or chainstays/lower swingarm. I dropped it off at Trek for a warranty consideration, which in hindsight, maybe was dumb and a waste of time. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Got invited to go out for a “long ride” this morning...met up with the usual guys and got suckered into going for 120 miles. Crushed my distance PR by a slim 50 miles.

Joke was on them; they were absolutely shelled and I was still putting in 1100w efforts 110 miles in

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Shakedown cruise about 70% loaded...bike actually feels pretty good! Rode about 14 miles on it, legs were sore from running an ultra marathon the previous day (but I think this actually helped loosen them up).

Fall 2020 by Geoff Potter, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Made my annual fall trip to Kingdom Trails in Vermont. The weather was pretty mixed so had maybe 6 hours the entire weekend to sneak in rides. With the wetness and leaves, made it real fun and sketchy.
For 2020, a massive part of the area has been closed off to bikes so they been building tons of new trails to make up for it. NewT was one of them and its was OK does not replace the fun of the 3 similar trails lost to the closures. But the best place to ride at Kingdom Trails is over at Moose Haven section - Almost 2 miles of multiple paths down and its just a blast.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Shakedown cruise about 70% loaded...bike actually feels pretty good! Rode about 14 miles on it, legs were sore from running an ultra marathon the previous day (but I think this actually helped loosen them up).

Fall 2020 by Geoff Potter, on Flickr
Niiiice! Maybe I missed it but what is the shakedown prepping for? Anything specific?

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,740 Posts
The pitfalls (dad joke!) of unofficial trails and lazy morons who build jumps the wrong way. Or, of me not paying attention. Oy.

I knew this stupid jump was there and typically avoid it, but I was off thinking about something else, not going fast enough... bailed mid-air and luckily avoided serious injury. Seriously though, fill that in. Get dirt from somewhere else. There's another trail around here with a similar jump, and some jackass put a rusty muffler in the pit. I removed it, only to find it back in there later.

·
Premium Member
11,005 Posts
That does look like a good ride. There are a couple gravelly rail trial rides in the NE that I want to ride.

I broke a new thing:

Rode over a medium root at speed, as one does on an XC bike, and *pop*. Hmm. Whatever. Felt fine. I kept riding it for a while, slowly coming to the realization the front wheel was much further out than normal. Everything else felt normal.

It's not even like I'm a large person or huck all the sends or whatever the cool words for jumping huge **** is these days. I'm old and scared of hurting myself. I think/hope it's just the lower bolt/bushing and not a tweaked shock eyelet or chainstays/lower swingarm. I dropped it off at Trek for a warranty consideration, which in hindsight, maybe was dumb and a waste of time. We'll see.
I broke quite a few suspension bolts on my last trek and had numerous others back out and sometimes fall out. Even torqued correctly it always gave me issues. I ended up zip tieing most of them.

I took my usual season ending trip down to Angel Fire New Mexico for a good send off to the lift access DH season. 3 days on the mountain, almost 90 miles of high speed chunk, big jumps, fun drops and loads of good times. First night I stayed at the resort lodge on mountain and the following I drove out to Taos. Bumped into quite a few friends I didn't know were going to be there which was awesome. Needed this after crashing out closing weekend on my local mountain :thumbup::beer:

8721 - 8740 of 8787 Posts