VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

8741 - 8760 of 8776 Posts

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,634 Posts
^ I would sort of expect somebody like you to break some stuff. I don't get anywhere near as much air... outside of the occasional table top jump line, that 'jump' in the post above is about my limit. Still though, the hardware on my recent Treks has been pretty crap. The mino link fell out of my Top Fuel on the first or second ride (I now clean the threads and loctite the suspension hardware), the rear derailleur hanger was really soft (maybe by design), and the front axle on my Crockett is starting to round. It's very soft and and has a shallow head. Hopefully it doesn't also snap.

The Top Fuel needed $40 worth of lower bolt, shock bushing, and nut. It seems fine now.

Anyway, looks like some good riding. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Nice 30 mile single track ride yesterday with some friends. Was supposed to be 50ish but the pace we were running through some of the trails pretty much killed my legs by the time we got around 25 miles in.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Big skateboard crash in early September.

First time on a bike since.

Felt so good.

Took my road bike in for a tune, and added a bunch of stuff over a month ago.

Probably can't ride anything without suspension for a few more weeks, but getting there.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Decent 27 mile mixed terrain ride on Sunday. I wasn't expecting much with eating like trash and being hung over from Halloween but ended up with a 17mph avg despite feeling like I was slowing to a crawl in some extra sandy single track sections. It was nice to see a decent moving average after feeling like I've been in a slump for a while.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
First weekday ride after time change. More of a screw around and drinking ride this time. Lots of hog holes and stuff...still fun.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Just about to tick over 3000 miles for the year, get blessed with a nice 70 degree opening week to November...and I finally ate **** for the first time in a long while :laugh:

Blasting uphill in the drops with a full head of steam, I railed a left through a T intersection at about 25 mph and mid-corner my front tire completely let go of the grimy, dusty asphalt. I slid a good 15-20 feet on my side before tumbing and smacking my right wrist/forearm/elbow on the pavement....which did stop me. All in front of a busy intersection in a ritzy part of town :eek::p

The road rash is more cosmetic and annoying than bad, and surprisingly my bike is totally fine: feet blew out of the clips instantly and it just kept sliding across the pavement on the thru axle/left pedal/left brifter like it was a motorcycle on the track :laugh:

The Strava clip is great. Like a cliff:

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
So we were under a tropical storm warning yesterday and I was going to skip our usual Wednesday Rona Ride but I was convinced to head out on the cx. Little gusty with pretty much a light drizzle and periodic stronger rains bit overall a great ride. Tail wind in one part got me a 30mph avg on a half mile segment lol. Ended up with about 28 miles. Need to lube the chain I guess.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Went for my coldest ride of the year last night. Buddy and I were 5 minutes late for rollout on the Wednesday night beer ride we do with a handful of other local guys and couldn't find their route, so we wound up drinking Hamms in the woods for a couple hours while looking for everyone else :laugh:

It's such a hilarious setup: There is a standing ride leaving from a location every Wednesday night, rain sleet snow or sunshine. We have a huge off-street path system out here connecting all the county parks/forests/towns, so the route changes from week to week in avoidance of the forest rangers who spot our lights in weeks prior. It's such transgressive adult fun :p

·
Premium Member
10,980 Posts
Went for my coldest ride of the year last night. Buddy and I were 5 minutes late for rollout on the Wednesday night beer ride we do with a handful of other local guys and couldn't find their route, so we wound up drinking Hamms in the woods for a couple hours while looking for everyone else :laugh:

It's such a hilarious setup: There is a standing ride leaving from a location every Wednesday night, rain sleet snow or sunshine. We have a huge off-street path system out here connecting all the county parks/forests/towns, so the route changes from week to week in avoidance of the forest rangers who spot our lights in weeks prior. It's such transgressive adult fun :p
Night rides make even the tamest trail super fun! :beer:

Speaking of cold rides. Didn't beat the weather this morning. Snow, 25 degrees and 40mph wind gusts. Hardly surprised I was the only car there when I showed up and left. It was hilariously fun to get the first tracks down with an inch or so on the ground.

Untitled by Nick Smith, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
^ That looks like a ton of fun.

Yesterday had a nice short single track ride with some friends I hadn't seen in a long time. Not a ton of trail damage from the storm. Weather was most excellent as well. Finally getting some breaks from this brutal FL heat.

·
Premium Member
10,980 Posts

Oh cool, the update lets you post Facebook videos! Here's another snowy ride I did the other day. They recently changed this trail to downhill, bike only on even calendar days. It's called Enchanted Forest and is one of the funnest rides on Denver's front range.

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,634 Posts
Nice. Enchanted Forest is a fun one. A downhill only schedule makes a lot of sense for that place... it definitely could get a bit sketchy with 2-way traffic. Did they do the same to White Ranch?

We don't have anything like that around here. Videos of riding 10-12mph on mostly flat, twisty XC trails aren't quite as interesting. Maybe I shouldn't have bought that gopro. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
10,980 Posts
Nice. Enchanted Forest is a fun one. A downhill only schedule makes a lot of sense for that place... it definitely could get a bit sketchy with 2-way traffic. Did they do the same to White Ranch?

We don't have anything like that around here. Videos of riding 10-12mph on mostly flat, twisty XC trails aren't quite as interesting. Maybe I shouldn't have bought that gopro. :unsure:

Yep! Longhorn on White Ranch is downhill bike only all everyday. There's also The Sluice out at Floyd Hill that's basically a bike park trail. Apex is now bike only, downhill from the top of Enchanted to the bottom of the Gut at Apex. It's a hell of a run top to bottom.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Been struggling to motivate myself and, with help of my wife, forced myself out the door yesterday to ride the park next to my hood. Ended up with about 27 miles mostly dirt with 14mph moving avg...which was shocking since I felt sluggish. Even got the #4 spot on a dirt segment despite all the hot damage and overall recent crappiness of that trail.

Hoping to get back into a routine this week. I was well on my way back into more strength training a couple weeks ago before I blacked out and faceplanted into the floor of my kitchen. Been taking it easy since.

Hope you guys can find time to ride this winter. Looks like it's getting cold down here this week.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Been cold for FL this week. Our usual Wednesday Rona Ride was in the 40s...so what better way to celebrate than a handle of Costco's boozy eggnog. Four of us killed it rather quickly then moved to beer. Total of 28 miles this time with my one leg cramping due to lack of hydration before and during. These rides prob don't help my riding performance but they are needed to keep my sanity these days.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Been cold for FL this week. Our usual Wednesday Rona Ride was in the 40s...so what better way to celebrate than a handle of Costco's boozy eggnog. Four of us killed it rather quickly then moved to beer. Total of 28 miles this time with my one leg cramping due to lack of hydration before and during. These rides prob don't help my riding performance but they are needed to keep my sanity these days.
Gah, brave man. Eggnog and bike riding are not a good match for me. Hell, really any dairy and riding aren't a good match.

8741 - 8760 of 8776 Posts