VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

8761 - 8780 of 8787 Posts

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,740 Posts
Gah, brave man. Eggnog and bike riding are not a good match for me. Hell, really any dairy and riding aren't a good match.
Yeah, that wouldn't end well for me. I'd surely puke. I also can't drink beer before/during a ride. Eggnog lattes, on the other hand... yes please. Drinking one right now, in fact.

Lately, my rides aren't that interesting. They tend to be 6:30 am or 8:30 pm, mostly road rides. One the other night was different though: a couple of punkass kids in a gold C230 pulled up to me (little traffic on a 5 lane 45 mph, I was in the right doing ~20, not even remotely in anybody's way), repeatedly yelling "pull over you ****ing idiot!" Strange, and I didn't. After a few of those, I told them that they were on video, and they took off. It's always dip**** 20 year olds that do this. It's rare, but it does give me pause, at least when it comes to night riding on main roads like that.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Lately, my rides aren't that interesting. They tend to be 6:30 am or 8:30 pm, mostly road rides. One the other night was different though: a couple of punkass kids in a gold C230 pulled up to me (little traffic on a 5 lane 45 mph, I was in the right doing ~20, not even remotely in anybody's way), repeatedly yelling "pull over you ing idiot!" Strange, and I didn't. After a few of those, I told them that they were on video, and they took off. It's always dip 20 year olds that do this. It's rare, but it does give me pause, at least when it comes to night riding on main roads like that.
Yeah mine have been dull, mostly the same ~20 mile loop. I don't even share them on Strava any more since I tend to just fit them into my workday wherever I can between meetings and I don't want anyone to bitch to someone about me doing a ride at 10am on a Thursday. Its been a while since I've been accosted though. It seems like the closer you are to a major city, the more hostile the drivers are, which is not what I would've really expected. I had a ride a couple years ago in the Southern Arkansas/ North Louisiana middle of nowhere where a pickup pulled up next to me and I was expecting the worst when they leaned out and cheered me on. They were probably making fun of me, but hey, not getting forced off the road or having **** thrown at me is a win in my book.

·
Registered
Lifted Prius, Lifted G37
12,740 Posts
No Strava?! Then why even ride???

I've only had a handful of negative encounters out here. The worst one was fairly far from town (out by Jordan Lake on some 2-lane side road). A pickup full of dickhead kids drove by yelling, stopped, turned around, and started to drive towards me in my lane (so on the wrong side of the road). Luckily a car or two drove by and they left. Not fun though. Most of the time, it's inattentiveness that worries me more. I've been run out of my lane more than once due to that. I agree that it's usually worse in an area with more population density. The more cyclists there are, the more annoying they are to traffic, and the more people there are to be annoyed. I get it.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Been cold for FL this week. Our usual Wednesday Rona Ride was in the 40s...so what better way to celebrate than a handle of Costco's boozy eggnog. Four of us killed it rather quickly then moved to beer. Total of 28 miles this time with my one leg cramping due to lack of hydration before and during. These rides prob don't help my riding performance but they are needed to keep my sanity these days.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I don't know how you drink and ride.

I did a quick 8 mile (each way) ride to a brewery, with out door seating last week. Took it easy and only had 3 beers and a shot, with plenty of water.

My legs, and lungs were totally shot on the ride home.

Even just one beer seems to kill my endurance.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I don't know how you drink and ride.

I did a quick 8 mile (each way) ride to a brewery, with out door seating last week. Took it easy and only had 3 beers and a shot, with plenty of water.

My legs, and lungs were totally shot on the ride home.

Even just one beer seems to kill my endurance.
Train drunk to race sober is the new strategy I'm going for. Although I don't race I seem to be getting faster on my sober weekday rides. ;)

We don't go too nuts all the time. On average it's 3-4 beers max over 35-40 miles with some spirited sprints and single track efforts. Decent way to let off some steam with friends these days.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Prob can't get outside this weekend. Went with a 60 min zone 2-3 followed by a 45 min zone 3-5 ride this morning. Feel great...need to do these more often.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,005 Posts
Damn you had a hell of a year!

Started mine with another snowy ride.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
74 mixed terrain miles on the cx with a friend yesterday. Pulled us in all the ****ty headwind stuff from mile 45 to 55 or so. I imploded at mile 60 and not sure how I made that 14 miles back ...was rough. Have an almost 300 mile long weekend bikepacking trip coming up in Feb so need to get a few more long rides in.

·
Premium Member
11,005 Posts
A bit worrying how dry the Colorado high country is but I'm enjoying some January laps under sunny blue skies. First ride on the new SB165. Absolute monster truck on the downs, a bit clunky on the climbs but that doesn't bother me much.
Untitled by Nick Smith, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Went down hard on my side in a parking lot TH evening. Hauling ass and completely missed I was coming up on a parking stop that was almost parallel to me. Guess once my frobt wheel hit it was game over and I was on the ground. Some rash on my arm but my knee and hip are feeling terrible. I think this just ****ed me out of my bikepacking trip next weekend. :(

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Planned on a short easy ride today to see how the knee and hip felt. Ended up with 30 miles and a handful of PRs. Stoked no issues during the ride. Bikepacking trip next weekend is looking good.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Planned on a short easy ride today to see how the knee and hip felt. Ended up with 30 miles and a handful of PRs. Stoked no issues during the ride. Bikepacking trip next weekend is looking good.
Look forward to seeing your trip report!! We just had a baby so not much riding going on over here.

8761 - 8780 of 8787 Posts