VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 3.2 sounds well suited for a swap into a MK4, bringing a handfull of extra power and torque. How much trouble would it be to lift one of these engines from a Tourag or 3.2 TT and then install it into a Jetta/Golf? I guess the transmision would be the biggest headache?

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Re: So, how difficult would a 3.2 swap be? (VR6ix)

You could save yourself the headache and buy a R32. Swapped in for you by VW.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sooooooooo glad I use the Vortex. What with all this useful information, I'm sure to become a true Dub Enthusiast and invest money into Volkswagen cars and aftermarket parts.
How about: are the transmission mounting points on the 3.2L block the same as the 2.8L block?
'Cause VW won't be making any MKIV 3.2L Jettas any time soon.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Re: (VR6ix)

Quote, originally posted by VR6ix »
Sooooooooo glad I use the Vortex. What with all this useful information, I'm sure to become a true Dub Enthusiast and invest money into Volkswagen cars and aftermarket parts.

meow

·
Registered
5,735 Posts

How about: are the transmission mounting points on the 3.2L block the same as the 2.8L block?
'Cause VW won't be making any MKIV 3.2L Jettas any time soon.

The internet shouldn't be the determining factor of whether or not you become a VW enthusiast.
That being said, you do have a good point in that MKIV Jetta's would be pretty damn cool with the 3.2l VR6. I'm not sure about the tranny mounting points...you might try to post in the R32 forum (just b/c it gets a lot more traffic now)

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I won't base my enthusiasm for VW's solely on the Vortex.
Maybe no one (here) actually knows if a) the blocks are the same, or b) the blocks are interchangable into the MKIV chassis. Any possible swap would undoubtably use the Toureg engine.

There is no replacement for displacement.

·
Registered
263 Posts

This is my take on the situation because a) I don't know but b) I've been wondering the same things.
I doubt the mounting points are the same for the Toureg as for the Mk IV chassis but what you should be able to do is (if you already have a VR6) use the crank, rods and pistons in a 2.8l block. You would have to bore the cylinders to 83(?)mm. If you have a 24v 2.8 that should have you 95% of the way to an R32 motor. The only thing missing would be variable exhaust timing. If you are a 12v VR like me you would have what is basically called an ABT 3.2 as ABT first developed the long stroke crank that VW then bought to make a production stroker VR.
I've been thinking and realized I'd (or anyone with a 12v motor) have to use some aftermarket piston as the 24v pistons are not the same as 12v.

Modified by SilberArrow6 at 9:44 PM 1-21-2004

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked breifly with an Audi salesman today when I was checking out a yellow tt 3.2 DSG coupe. He seemed to think that the 3.2L block and the 2.8L block are the same, hence no problem mounting a 3.2 into a MKIV Jetta. I was all set to crawl under a Toureg and look at the block, but they only had a W8 inside the showroom.
I was thinking that the best way to get a 3.2 VR into a Jetta would be by swapping in the Toureg engine from a scrap yard (
). Then boost power through bolt-ons for the R32... if such parts would be compatible with the Toureg 3.2. Might be easier than boring out a 2.8 block, but that is another way.
Unless Audi could trade me a tt 3.2 coupe with a 6 speed for the Jetta... straight-up!

·
Registered
3,602 Posts

This would be cool. I'd be interested in doing a swap like this. Somehow I doubt that VW would bring over a 3.2l in the Jetta. But who knows.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Re: (DubGeek)

Quote »
I was all set to crawl under a Toureg and look at the block, but they only had a W8 inside the showroom

I thought there were 3.2 VR6's and 4.2 V8's, no 4.0 W8

·
Registered
44,112 Posts
Re:

Since the 3.2 is going into the Golf R32, wouldn't it be kind of implied that it will bolt right up to the A4 chassis? Or am I thinking down the wrong lines here since it will be 4Motion and a completely different frame?

·
Registered
263 Posts

I talked breifly with an Audi salesman today when I was checking out a yellow tt 3.2 DSG coupe. He seemed to think that the 3.2L block and the 2.8L block are the same, hence no problem mounting a 3.2 into a MKIV Jetta. I was all set to crawl under a Toureg and look at the block, but they only had a W8 inside the showroom.
I was thinking that the best way to get a 3.2 VR into a Jetta would be by swapping in the Toureg engine from a scrap yard (
). Then boost power through bolt-ons for the R32... if such parts would be compatible with the Toureg 3.2. Might be easier than boring out a 2.8 block, but that is another way.
Unless Audi could trade me a tt 3.2 coupe with a 6 speed for the Jetta... straight-up!

Reading this raises my optimism http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif It won't be long before someone explores this option. Wiring and ECU are my only major concerns. That and axles. Who knows what I'll do when the current lump craps out on me

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK my bad, there is no such thing as a W8 Toureg. All those V's and W's got confussing there. It is a V8.
I, unfortunatly, won't be able to try out this kind of swap for a while, maybe a long while. I think I'll wait to see what kind of parts become available for the 3.2, but overall it seems to be a better path than sinking money into 2.8 specific parts right now.
I wonder where the R32 3.2 gets the extra power from, and how different the two ECU's are. I, for one, am pretty much clueless.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Programming and plumbing are the key differences between tehm, I'm sure. The R32 has a very well developed exhaust and the TT 3.2 even more so. I doubt there was as much development in the Toureg exhaust. The same is true for the Eurovan VR6s in both 12v and 24v. They are tuned for more torque over a broader lower rpm, and less so for the top of the rev range. There should be very few if any physical differences between the 2 motors.

·
Banned
12,815 Posts
Re: (SilberArrow6)

I thought the 3.2 in the Toureg was a longitudinally mounted engine, even though they are the same block as the R32 3.2? Also, I thought ABT does a 3.1L stroker engine?
Just curious about the details myself.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Re: (Daemon42)

ABT only made their stroker crank for a short while originally. Rumor had it that VW bought their crank and developed the Beetle RSI from it. I've heard that for years but of caurse I have no proof. If they have begun producing a stroker again then they may be making the same crank again or another on, I'm not sure. They could be using a smaller bore for that 3.1l. I remember that the ABT motors used to be a hot comodity a few years ago.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts