VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Re: So, how difficult would a 3.2 swap be? (VR6ix)

You can save the hassle of dropping a new engine in and just buying and installing the R32 Vr6's 96.4mm Crank and Bore the Block and put some 85mm Pistons in. Thats should make your displacement 3282cc aka a 3.2l 24v Vr6.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Can anyone recite the 2.8L bore and stroke, and the 3.2L bore and stroke?
The big question would be: how much can the blocks be over-bored? How big could the VR grow with the VW 96.4mm crank?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Re: (VR6ix)

81mm Pistons with a 90.3mm Crank are the standard VR6
8*mm Pistons with a 96.4mm Crank
Im not 100% sure of what the r32 pistons are. PM a guy nammed Joshuamurray on the Tex he's works with building up engines.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Alright....Remember the Blue Jetta coupe? It had the 24v VR6. The motor bolted right up because VW kept the same mounting holes on the block. I even believe he used an 02A tranny. The tranny you have now will fit the 3.2, I'm sure of it. The 2.8l 24V VR6 is the same block as the 3.2l VR6. Swaps should not be too much of a problem on MK2-MK4.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Re: So, how difficult would a 3.2 swap be? (scottb15)

Quote, originally posted by scottb15 »
I say from looking at the pics of it it should be no problem.

Interesting, if I may ask, where's the R32 that came with it?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Re: (SilberArrow6)

Quote, originally posted by SilberArrow6 »
ABT only made their stroker crank for a short while originally. Rumor had it that VW bought their crank and developed the Beetle RSI from it. I've heard that for years but of caurse I have no proof. If they have begun producing a stroker again then they may be making the same crank again or another on, I'm not sure. They could be using a smaller bore for that 3.1l. I remember that the ABT motors used to be a hot comodity a few years ago.

They did use a smaller bore for the ABT engine. The ABT crank is 95.6mm, the VW 3.2L crank is 95.9mm.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Re: So, how difficult would a 3.2 swap be? (scottb15)

Quote, originally posted by scottb15 »
I say from looking at the pics of it it should be no problem.

well it looks like at least the passenger side motor mount is the same

·
Registered
11,855 Posts
Re: (SilberArrow6)

Quote, originally posted by SilberArrow6 »
The R32 has a very well developed exhaust and the TT 3.2 even more so.

Well - the ONLY difference in the two exhausts is the legnth. The TT's wheelbase is shorter and hence so is the exhaust. Other than that they are IDENTICAL. In fact, the only difference is the published numbers. Emphasis on the word published. The Touareg engine IS tuned to bring the torque curve down lower in the power band and due to differences in intake and exhaust etc. It was tuned this way on purpose.
The 3.2 block and 2.8 block are different but use the same mounting points. The 3.2 block is slightly taller if I remember correctly and hence sits slightly lower in the engine compartment due to this. Therefore the engine mounts would probably be different as well, but i'm not sure about that.
A 3.2 swap wouldn't be difficult at all, especially with the right ECU and wiring harnesses.

Modified by [email protected] at 3:58 PM 2-27-2004

21 - 34 of 34 Posts