VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
'21 M2 6MT, '18 RS3
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or at least that's what I use to think of Audi, until now.
Some of you may remember a while back I was torn between an RS3 and M2 Competition, and ended up buying a M2C, which I love and am very glad that I got, but I never got over the RS3. Unfortunately, by the time I decided that I want an RS3 as well, I couldn't buy a new one anymore. I figured I missed the boat on this car, but as luck would have it, Toaster posted a few weeks back that he was considering selling his, and after we spoke, I had to have it. Bought tickets for me and my favorite co pilot and off we went.

Two plane rides later, we got there. 20 min later, the transaction was complete and we were on the road for our 16+ hr drive.

What can I say about this car that Toaster hasn't over the past few years? Its a monster, plain and simple. Noises are great and the speed is intoxicating. Very different feeling compared to my M2C. Speaking of which, I will say that the suspension of the M2C is much better set up, stock for stock. At triple digit speeds, the M2C is much more confidence inspiring, like you almost don't feel the speed. The RS3 you definitely do, and you better be paying attention. Other than that minor inconvenience, I'm very glad to have both, and both will be staying. Toaster is great to deal with, and God willing, I'll be buying other cars from him again, although the recent cars he's bought are way out of my current budget, so maybe not.... :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Those things fly, seriously slept on in the community. Simple Stage 1 or even Stage 2 will beat anything.

·
Registered
2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
3,943 Posts
I wish you many miles of happiness and safe driving. Very nice!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Those are the exact 2 cars I am looking at buying. If you could only go with one which would you choose? My heart says M2C, brain says RS3. Long term I think the M2C will appreciate, it looks better, and it has a stick, but the acceleration and noise the RS3 makes + 4 door practicality has me second guessing. I'm also guessing the Audi 5 pot will be more reliable long term.

·
Premium Member
'21 M2 6MT, '18 RS3
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are the exact 2 cars I am looking at buying. If you could only go with one which would you choose? My heart says M2C, brain says RS3. Long term I think the M2C will appreciate, it looks better, and it has a stick, but the acceleration and noise the RS3 makes + 4 door practicality has me second guessing. I'm also guessing the Audi 5 pot will be more reliable long term.
If I only had to have one, it would be the RS3. Its a better daily as its an automatic and 4 door, plus the suspension is softer which is good for our crappy roads. AWD should be fun in the winter too. The M2 is much more focused, better brakes, better suspension by a mile and ever since I turned off the fake engine sounds, it sounds much better and natural. Tuning potential is there, but with the crank hub stories out there, I'm not interested in tuning it until a solution that actually works is available. With the used car market what it is, I can get quite a bit more than I paid for the M2, so that has me thinking, but realistically, if I did sell it, I know I won't get another again, and I just don't want to not have it.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
First, nice. Glad to see this one sticking around.

Tuning potential is there, but with the crank hub stories out there, I'm not interested in tuning it until a solution that actually works is available.
Side note on M2 tuning potential. If you want big power, well then, yeah, play it safe. But, if you're goal is just some extra oomf, which is easy. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

First, the spun crank hub, actually means its working as intended. In the event of too much power (or however you'd like to phrase it), it is meant to spin and go into limp mode, instead of just blowing the motor. The cost to repair is expensive, but not bank breaking.

That said, after spending days reading/looking over things, the numbers tend to lean towards the DCT cars more so than the manual cars having issues. Anecdotal evidence also shows most instances of the hub spinning involved the use of the kick down button (underneath accelerator pedal), which immediately causes the most aggressive downshift possible.

My solution: get a tune that provides power levels of the CS/GTS (roughly 75-80 over stock), and don't use the kick down. Granted, there was more incentive for me because I also got the DCT and DCC tunes, of which a manual M2 has neither.

·
Premium Member
'21 M2 6MT, '18 RS3
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, and I heard the car is a bit scary too!

:p
You should see me with the mask off.....oooof

I like the shirt NYPD (y) (y) 🆒

RS3 some have some great sounding exhaust other just sound loud and drone--y
Wifey is in the NYPD, gotta represent(y)

First, nice. Glad to see this one sticking around.

Side note on M2 tuning potential. If you want big power, well then, yeah, play it safe. But, if you're goal is just some extra oomf, which is easy. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

First, the spun crank hub, actually means its working as intended. In the event of too much power (or however you'd like to phrase it), it is meant to spin and go into limp mode, instead of just blowing the motor. The cost to repair is expensive, but not bank breaking.

That said, after spending days reading/looking over things, the numbers tend to lean towards the DCT cars more so than the manual cars having issues. Anecdotal evidence also shows most instances of the hub spinning involved the use of the kick down button (underneath accelerator pedal), which immediately causes the most aggressive downshift possible.

My solution: get a tune that provides power levels of the CS/GTS (roughly 75-80 over stock), and don't use the kick down. Granted, there was more incentive for me because I also got the DCT and DCC tunes, of which a manual M2 has neither.
Happens to manuals too. A guy over on the bmw forum just had it happen to him on a bone stock car pulling out of a gas station. Plus, being a 2021, the tuners haven't figured out how to tune this ecu yet, so the only option is JB4, which I'm not sure if I'm a fan of. If I did tune it, I'd want the CS tune as that would make it what my F80C was stock, which is more than enough for me.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Happens to manuals too. A guy over on the bmw forum just had it happen to him on a bone stock car pulling out of a gas station. Plus, being a 2021, the tuners haven't figured out how to tune this ecu yet, so the only option is JB4, which I'm not sure if I'm a fan of. If I did tune it, I'd want the CS tune as that would make it what my F80C was stock, which is more than enough for me.
Not saying it doesn't, just seems more common (which still isn't a huge number) on the DCT cars. Anyways, yeah, JB4 is great for easy power, but in this application I like something a little more polished. Didn't realize there were still difficulties with the new ECU's. I'd definitely wait it out.

·
Premium Member
'21 M2 6MT, '18 RS3
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not saying it doesn't, just seems more common (which still isn't a huge number) on the DCT cars. Anyways, yeah, JB4 is great for easy power, but in this application I like something a little more polished. Didn't realize there were still difficulties with the new ECU's. I'd definitely wait it out.
I keep hearing that so and so company cracked it, the community gets excited, then silence.... and so I wait. Anyway, its not like its underpowered :giggle:

·
Registered
35,397 Posts
Congrats! That's awesome.

Reactions: Dandbest

·
Registered
12,283 Posts
Congrats. Toaster's perspectives of the 8V RS3 are what inspired me to ditch a five-month-old B9 S4 for one. Now on my second one after stupidly letting the first one go too early. Don't make my mistakes.

·
Premium Member
'21 M2 6MT, '18 RS3
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now that I've had the car for a few weeks.... I still absolutely love it. On E85 its a monster, but I hear so many horror stories of stations selling E85 that is really E30 around here, that until I get a test kit or a gauge to check it, I'll be sticking to 93 octane. Other than that, I washed the M2 and RS3 today, so happy to have both.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Interesting because I was between the two also ...and ended up ordering a CT4 Blackwing last month.
Comparison is due - if it ever gets here!

Reactions: GLI Dan

·
Premium Member
'21 M2 6MT, '18 RS3
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Interesting because I was between the two also ...and ended up ordering a CT4 Blackwing last month.
Comparison is due - if it ever gets here!
They're very different. The RS3 feels like a better GTI, which it is and its a good thing. Being a stage 2 car, its much faster than my stock M2C, obviously. The M2C handles considerably better, has much better brakes and is a manual, which is both a positive and a negative. The M2C feels more serious, if that makes sense. It takes serious speed to feel like you're going fast whereas in the RS3, you feel the speed and is more fun for daily driving.

·
Registered
25,929 Posts
That's a great pair. Maybe you should pickup a GLA45 just to complete the set of 2020 compact German hotrod: coupe, sedan, hatchback...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts