VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the outer joint snapped on the passenger side, I returned to try and swap the axle out here in Maine and it was so cold that I snapped the head off the swaybar link bolt. I can get that out with vise grips at some point. The REAL problem it the A-arm bolt snapped somewhere too and won't back out and can't be pulled out with a flat head. It just spins. So we think the backing nut that's welding inside the subframe broke free. So now I think I have to cut a hole behind where the nut is to grab a hold of it! And then weld a piece back over or the inside of my subframe could rust! WTF do I do? BTW getting it towed to a garage in the morning. It's too bad I can't weld, don't have a garage or an air compressor/welding skills. Any insight
?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Re: So I broke another DSS axle and worse... (black2001aww)

sorry for you headaches. should be easier to drop to the subframe and disassemble that way.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Re: So I broke another DSS axle and worse... (FreeStage3)

how did you break the axle?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: So I broke another DSS axle and worse... (FreeStage3)

Yeah we'll see, sux either way. I just ordered a Raxles, $420 2 day shipped. Leaving to have the car flat bedded out for $85 plus misc crap and time. Oh well, car has been acting TOO good for 6 months, I knew it couldn't be that good!

·
Banned
7,500 Posts

Quote, originally posted by black2001aww »
The REAL problem it the A-arm bolt snapped somewhere too and won't back out and can't be pulled out with a flat head. It just spins. So we think the backing nut that's welding inside the subframe broke free. So now I think I have to cut a hole behind where the nut is to grab a hold of it!

I have the exact same problem. Had to drill a hole in the subframe large enough to fish the nut around.
Going to have to replace the entire subframe eventually.
Those 2#$#@[email protected]#[email protected]# nuts rust up and sieze. Then shear off the tack welds when you try to break em out.
Word to the wise.. Soak those litte bastards in liquid wrench before attempting to remove them.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

A bad passenger side motor mount back in the day, went unnoticed and now this is the backlash. Hopeful the last axle I have to change (done about 6 or 7 use SEARCH). http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,910 Posts

·
Banned
12,870 Posts

You're the axle eating king. Worse than FreeStage3.
I've had the same problem with my subframe and the A arm bolt. I just left the hole that had to be cut open and painted it up with some black rustoleum http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: So I broke another DSS axle and worse... (VDUBNDizzy)

Bump for great responses. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: So I broke another DSS axle and worse... (Junk T.I.)

Quote, originally posted by Junk T.I. »

Broken motor mount, axles wrong length.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts