VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

so i completely fkd up!

2K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  jai5 
#1 ·
alright i got a good deal on a (after market)key less/alarm system so my plan was to get the thing installed today, but instead i learned that i am a complete douche
nothing was going right, all the wires blah blah, so i gave up and shoved all the wires up that i had cut from the previous remote car starter/key less that the PO put in. (BIGGEST MISTAKE EVER)
every time i went over a big bump i saw smoke come out and heard a spark noise...
the ignition and the ground wire was spliced and just hanging i guess it must have touched some metal or something
so now the result of my stupidity is this:
no headlights
no wipers
no heater/blower
no rear defroster
no parking lights(usually turn on when the car starts up, i now i have to switch them on)
everything else seems to be working fine(havent tested cruise control yet).
i think i may have burnt some wires and other things

EDIT:
VIDEO:
*note the keys are not in the ignition

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dLKxXDLLmC4
PIC of burnt wire behind light switch(cell pic)

Modified by jai5 at 7:14 PM 5-14-2007

Modified by jai5 at 4:01 PM 5-15-2007

Modified by jai5 at 4:05 PM 5-15-2007

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: so i completely fkd up! (IwishIhadaHonda)

Quote, originally posted by IwishIhadaHonda »
Have you checked the fuses yet?

will do that tomorrow, too dark and emo now.
i feel like smacking myself

#10 ·
Re: (jai5)

Quote, originally posted by jai5 »
the fuses are fine!!!

so now what do i do?

uhm...uhm...buy a brand new engine.It will make you happy for atleast a little bit
j/k man, I would go through and check all your wires that arent working and maybe its just burnt up wires or something.

#12 ·
Re: (iansjetta)

i think its my ignition switch, but...how do i know for sure that its not the ignition switch wiring behind the fuse box? or the wiring around the ignition
somehow the ignition wire and the parking light wire(both hooked up to the old system) hit the metal bar thing....
i know i saw smoke from the light switch, and i found one wire was sheered...fixed that up, and still the same

and the other time i saw most of the smoke come from the underside of the car...so is it the ignition switch for sure? or should i search around for burnt ignition switch wires

#13 ·
Re: (jai5)

Quote, originally posted by jai5 »
i think its my ignition switch, but...how do i know for sure that its not the ignition switch wiring behind the fuse box? or the wiring around the ignition
somehow the ignition wire and the parking light wire(both hooked up to the old system) hit the metal bar thing....
i know i saw smoke from the light switch, and i found one wire was sheered...fixed that up, and still the same

and the other time i saw most of the smoke come from the underside of the car...so is it the ignition switch for sure? or should i search around for burnt ignition switch wires

search for burnt shi7 and make sure no wires are exposed or too close to anything..... wiring on these buggers can be fickel

#15 ·
Re: (iansjetta)

Quote, originally posted by iansjetta »

search for burnt shi7 and make sure no wires are exposed or too close to anything..... wiring on these buggers can be fickel

another discovery!
if i flip the headlight switch and pull the highbeam once and and one more time but this time just hold it there, all my accessories turn on :S i got a video of it(uploading on youtube for giggles )

#22 ·
Re: (EasyThree)

Quote, originally posted by EasyThree »
You should check your second accessory wire. It travels from the back of the fuse box to the ignition. It controls just about all your accessories.
When I smoked a wire, that was the one. Had to replace the whole thing.

do u know what color of that wire?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.