VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I swapped wheels, and the TPMS error message was driving me nuts. I messed around trying to disable TPMS for 20-30 minutes last night, and i got both the light and the error message to go away!
Warning: Doing these modifications may cause damage to your car, and may negatively impact your warranty. Do at your own risk!
-To get rid of the light, disable TPMS in the Can Gateway's long coding.
-To get rid of the error message, go into the TPMS module 65, go to the output test, go through a few different tests until you see one that says "System Switched Off". Do that test, and then shut off the car, and remove the key. then exit from vag-com. After that, the error message didn't pop up again.
I got the idea from here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2947319

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: So, i disabled the TPMS error message! (Jetty!)

Quote, originally posted by Jetty! »
How would this damage the car?

well, my car still works fine, and it really shouldn't, but you are exiting the output test before it finishes...

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
I messed with the output thing the other night. I found CAN Gateway today and will disable it in there tomorrow and go from there.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can gateway will at least disable the annoying light. the warning isn't as bad, as you just have to hit "OK" on the mfsw and it'll shut off until the next time you turn on the car.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
That I know of, he hasn't received the warning in the MFD yet. <shrug>

·
Banned
21,195 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

i have to say i am really glad one feature i don't have is this....
it really seems like a pain in the azz http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
and i can't believe people actually tried to retrofit this feature in cars that don't have it,why bother...
i always keep my trusty tire pressure pen in the glove box just to be safe

·
Banned
7,439 Posts
For the average consumer who doesn't switch wheels every season, it's a good safety feature.
I, on the other hand, am probably going to be using this method once my 18's go on.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
That I know of, he hasn't received the warning in the MFD yet. <shrug>

it's weird...some people reported the error on the mfd, including myself, but others don't have the mfd error.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (D.Passat00)

Quote, originally posted by D.Passat00 »

it's weird...some people reported the error on the mfd, including myself, but others don't have the mfd error.

Sounds alot like the "some have it, some don't" service indicator.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

well it is a vw...varies widely.

Sorta like OEM tires. Different regions receive cars with different tires. I never understood why.
For example, my car has Continental ContiProContact A/S tires. In contrast, I've seen photos of other GTIs that had Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 A/S tires.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (Max Rebo)

Quote, originally posted by Max Rebo »
Sorta like OEM tires. Different regions receive cars with different tires. I never understood why.
For example, my car has Continental ContiProContact A/S tires. In contrast, I've seen photos of other GTIs that had Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 A/S tires.

heck, even in the same region, different tires are common. i have bridgestone re050 tires, but most others in the same area have continental sport 2 or whatever they're called.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts

I (rather, he) got the RE's on his car. I was hoping for the Contis, but I really like the RE's so far.
I was able to remove the TPMS from the CAN gateway yesterday and it removed the light. An autoscan now shows the CAN gateway with a fault code saying it's configured incorrectly, but a hidden code isn't nearly as annoying as the light.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

just a quick update...it's been about 6 weeks/1500 miles since i did this fix, and the tpms light and error message have not come back. i even took the car to the dealer to have them install lc, and luckily, they didn't mess around with the coding. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

just a quick update...it's been about 6 weeks/1500 miles since i did this fix, and the tpms light and error message have not come back. i even took the car to the dealer to have them install lc, and luckily, they didn't mess around with the coding. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Still no flashy-blinky-shiny light? If not, then... good.

I'm ordering new wheels in the next day or so, and I don't plan on spending $400+ for a new set of sensors. If the gub'mint wants to mandate these, then they should pay for them.

·
Registered
8,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (Max Rebo)

Quote, originally posted by Max Rebo »
Still no flashy-blinky-shiny light? If not, then... good.

I'm ordering new wheels in the next day or so, and I don't plan on spending $400+ for a new set of sensors. If the gub'mint wants to mandate these, then they should pay for them.

still no tpms error light or message.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.