VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a lot of cars. He was out of town on business and needed me to pick up a car from the detail shop. But, I had to grab his A8 so I could drop that off in it's place.
Turns out it was his black Ferrari Mondial 3.2! Not my favorite model, but this one is the best Mondial I've seen; very nasty looking. It's black w/ tan interior and has color matched F355 wheels. FYI, the stock Mondial wheels do not do this car justice.
I love the feeling of getting into a totally strange car and figuring out how to make it drive. Figuring out that it was a dogleg 1st gear took a few seconds, figuring out the way the e-brake worked took a few more, the headlights, etc. The layout of the pedals is tight and offset to the center.
It really drives like a tight go-kart. The V8 isn't totally crazy, but it hauls ass when you need it. The 1st to 2nd shift is not straightforward, but I did manage to do that perfectly once. The sound is incredible. Now I know why people get giddy over mid engine cars.
I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
[edit] Why scroll down when you can see the car here?!

Modified by Diamond Dave at 4:31 PM 1-12-2004

· Registered
4,773 Posts
Re: So I drove my first Ferrari today! (KARMANN_16V)

i'm 6'4 and the last ferrari i worked on was tight quarters for sure. i would've had to start out in 2nd because my legs wouldn't let me get it into first. it was a 512M.
mondials are kinda cool, when i was young, i wanted my parents to get one because they had rear seats.

· Registered
7,624 Posts
Re: So I drove my first Ferrari today! (Diamond Dave)

haha nice. My uncle has two Dino 308GT4s. They are a blast to dive, I love opening up the throttle and hearing the air being sucked in to the vents like a vacuum cleaner. Not to mention I think the older Ferraris sound better cause of the throttle bodies. The reason why the pedals are like that is because that is where the wheel well is and gives a much better heel toe action. Ya they are a good time.

· Registered
7,624 Posts
Re: So I drove my first Ferrari today! (lsinlv)

Quote, originally posted by lsinlv »

Porsche 914-6; mid engine, dog-leg shifter...There is no substitute!

hehe my uncle has one of thos also. '74 bumble bee limited edition only 117 registered in the world.

· Registered
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Looking through the repair bill history.
$899 - 10qts motor oil, 9qts trans oil, filters.
$2400 - Windshield
$799 - one new axle
Why is it these cars have such low mileage again...?

· Registered
7,624 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Diamond Dave »

Why is it these cars have such low mileage again...?

Its also up to Ferrari they make a certain number of parts for certain cars when ever they feel like it. Say they make ten axles for a 512 TR and thats it for an obsurd amount of price, and won't make them for who knows....could be a week, a month, 3 years. I forget how much his jets cost for his carbs. But I know a small badge was around 200 bucks.

· Registered
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: So I drove my first Ferrari today! (Dan337)

Quote, originally posted by Dan337 »
Lucky man, Dave! I have a feeling my first drive in a Ferrari will be here:

Thanks Dan. I had to rush my drive today since there was a slight break in the clouds. I really wanted to wring this thing out today. Oh well, what to drive next.. The A8, Defender 90, or the Range Rover. Hmmm. Can't decide.

· Registered
2019 Golf R
2,261 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Diamond Dave »

Thanks Dan. I had to rush my drive today since there was a slight break in the clouds. I really wanted to wring this thing out today. Oh well, what to drive next.. The A8, Defender 90, or the Range Rover. Hmmm. Can't decide.

Defender 90, especially if you can actually get out into some BLM http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif The ride I got at the All British Field Meet at PIR's motocross track was amazing!
dc

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.