VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sitting here daydreaming about Porsches, and in my little google searches for White Carreras I found one at Porsche Of Anchorage, AK. Now, I had no idea there was even demand for Porsches in Alaska, let alone enough to support a freaking dealer franchise. So I looked into their website and scanned their inventory, and this is what I found...
2008 Carrera Coupe Carrara White /
Black Standard Leather 6-Speed Manual $79,600.00 -
2008 Cayenne Tiptronic Crystal Silver Metallic /
Black Leather Interior Tiptronic S Contact us -
2008 Cayenne Tiptronic Green Olive Metallic /
Black Leather Interior Tiptronic S Contact us -
2008 Cayenne Tiptronic Marine blue Metallic /
Stone Grey/Steel Grey Leather Tiptronic S Contact us -
2008 Cayman Midnight Blue Metallic /
Sand Beige Standard Leather 5-Speed Manual Contact us
They have five new vehicles....

Now call me crazy, but how in the world can a freaking stand alone dealer of highline performance vehicles survive on five vehicles, in Alaska, where I'm assuming nine months out of twelve the weather sucks?? It just seems completely random that this dealer exists in my eyes, so I figured I'd share it with you guys.
So, with this thought in mind, the idea of this thread is to talk about dealers that leave you all scratching in heads in wonderment that they actually exist in the first place, be it based on some geographic factor, complete lack of inventory or both.
Yes in case anybody actually cares heres the link to Porsche of Anchorage's website...
http://anchorage.porschedealer.com/
a pic of their dealer demo

Modified by RollingInDubs at 8:18 AM 1-11-2008

Modified by RollingInDubs at 8:20 AM 1-11-2008

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Re: So I found a Porsche dealer in freaking Alaska (RollingInDubs)

2 words:
Crab Fishermen.
Young guy jumps off the boat with a fat wad of cash... "Hell, why not buy a Porsche? I mean even after that, ill still have 15k to live off for the rest of the year!"

Modified by SebringMGB at 12:19 AM 1-11-2008

·
Registered
12 Golf 2.5, 99.5 Cabrio GLS
48,011 Posts

Looks like people driving the test vehicle are having fun

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: So I found a Porsche dealer in freaking Alaska (Super 180s)

Quote, originally posted by Super 180s »
So just because the weather's bad, you can't have a Porsche?

You can, but I would figure the demand for such a car would mimic that of an Arctic Cat Snowmobile in Miami Florida...

·
Registered
3,490 Posts

Quote, originally posted by RollingInDubs »

You can, but I would figure the demand for such a car would mimic that of an Arctic Cat Snowmobile in Miami Florida...

Why? C4s, Cayennes and Turbos are perfectly capable in the snow.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Re: So I found a Porsche dealer in freaking Alaska (Super 180s)

Are you saying you can't drive a Porsche in the snow???

·
Registered
23,418 Posts

Your 9 out of 12 months is an exaggeration.
Southern Alaska is not much higher latitude than Wolfsburg, and about the same as the most Northern Germany.
Inland, it is warm and dry most of the summer, with occasional "hot" spells.
At the cost, it may not get as warm, but it doesn't get all that cold, either.
If you can drive a Porsche in Northern Germany, you can drive one in Alaska! Add to that AWD and snow tires, and you are ready to go!

(it's only going to get better, too!
)

·
Registered
41,822 Posts
Re: So I found a Porsche dealer in freaking Alaska (feels_road)

Quote, originally posted by feels_road »
Southern Alaska is not much higher latitude than Wolfsburg, and about the same as the most Northern Germany.

Yes it is. At 61 degrees north, it's more northern than all the Scandinavian capitals as well, and it doesn't have the benefit of the North Atlantic Current, only the weaker/cooler Alaska Current. Their average high is only above freezing for 6 months.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Re: So I found a Porsche dealer in freaking Alaska (AKADriver)

Quote, originally posted by AKADriver »

Yes it is. At 61 degrees north, it's more northern than all the Scandinavian capitals as well, and it doesn't have the benefit of the North Atlantic Current, only the weaker/cooler Alaska Current. Their average high is only above freezing for 6 months.

I know all these people see pictures of porsches in snow so automatically all porsches are good in all snow.
When you get multiple feet of snow dumped on you during winter months, it doesnt matter if your porsche has AWD and snow tires, the ground clearance isn't there.

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
Re: So I found a Porsche dealer in freaking Alaska (AKADriver)

Juneau, Alaska is at ~58N. Flensburg, Germany, is at ~55N. Most of Scandinavia is North of Juneau.

Juneau's monthly normal high is above freezing on average almost every single month of the year, and getting warmer while we speak.

PS: Just for reference, Seattle is at 47N, Boston at 42. Most of Germany is above 48 to 50

Modified by feels_road at 4:58 AM 1-11-2008

·
Banned
2,722 Posts
In the summer it gets pretty hot. The high was 90 when I went there in 04.
Plus, Porsche sells a very capable SUV and awd cars. Whats the prob with selling them in ak?

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
My friends brother works there.
The same dealer group also owns the VW/Audi franchises too.
Its very simple. You want a V/A/P and you live in Alaska, you buy it there. Otherwise, you don't get one.
BTW, everything sells @ MSRP.
Once upon a time, VW had 2-3 stores in AK, until they closed like a lot of VW dealers in the 70's and 80s...now the one survives.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

Juneau, Alaska is at ~58N. Flensburg, Germany, is at ~55N. Most of Scandinavia is North of Juneau.

Juneau's monthly normal high is above freezing on average almost every single month of the year, and getting warmer while we speak.

PS: Just for reference, Seattle is at 47N, Boston at 42. Most of Germany is above 48 to 50

Modified by feels_road at 4:58 AM 1-11-2008

I guess AKA wasn't clear enough in trying to explain why latitude is not necessarily an indicator of climate. Rome, IT is about the same as NYC, and I'd hardly call NYC a mediterranian climate.
Ocean currents.

·
Registered
18,639 Posts

3 degrees of latitude is not insignificant on temperature, though, especially that far north.

26,006 Posts

Quote, originally posted by RollingInDubs »

I see it exactly the opposite. There's no where else to go up there if you want a Porsche. If you consider the radius of the area they service until you overlap with the next nearest dealer it's probably one of the best in the world. If you're in Alaska and want one, you're going to get it from these guys. Living where I do however, I will shop at every dealer within a 500 mile radius and get the best deal. I'd say when you look past the initial weather shock, it's a pretty good place to be.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
In fact, Porsche runs winter driving schools in Colorado and several locations in Europe. They certainly don't discourage snow use. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 83 Posts