VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what this cop was thinking, it was still light out and he pulled me over becuase he thought my city lights were my headlights!! I have the pzwo duals . . man this just killed me, he said "you need to have your headlights on after sunset . ." well, it wasn't sunset and surely was still light out . . .then he proceeded to do a safety check on the car, checking all the lights and turn signals . . .well, guess that's what I get for having a euro switch! I know he was just doin his job but, what sunset means is pretty subjective if you ask me.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Re: so I got pulled over this evening . . . (fikusaa)

I've never been pulled over in my car and I have 5% tint on all windows... a big tint strip on the winshield with a bright red neuspeed sticker. Maybe its just my pizza sign...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: so I got pulled over this evening . . . (sbiggi)

quote:[HR][/HR]Maybe its just my pizza sign...[HR][/HR]​
LOL, well us 94er’s don’t have to worry about that little daytime running stuff! But I guess the lesson that I have learned here on the vortex is, turn my lights on at night fall!

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Re: so I got pulled over this evening . . . (scitekmike)

There was a post not too long ago about a poor guy in CO who got a ticket for not having his headlamps lit. Guess the cop didn't think DRL's count.
I think his name on the Vortex is 97Trek2.0

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well, since I have a euro switch, I don't have the DRL's anymore . . but I did see that post before. He thought that my city light's were the actual headlamps . . and I quote "did you trick out your headlights so thats all the light they put out?" He simply had no clue. And, it wasn't "night fall" yet, it was still light out . . you know that time when it's starting to be sunset but still light . . .it's all subjective . . .
The second half of the story is that I'm originally from Maryland and haven't gotten a CO license or plates yet . . so he charged me with "driving without a license" and gave me 3 points on the record . . .the lights were only a $15 fine so I think he just wanted to make it worth his while to pull me over so he hit me with the license . . .can't fualt him for that it's my own damn fault I haven't gotten them yet!

The whole DRL thing with the guy from the springs is just plain weird.

·
Registered
800 Posts

Was it State Patrol? They'll nail you for every little thing.... I've been pulled over doing a few mph over the speed limit and then he proceeded to bug me about no front plate and my windows being tinted to dark... grrrr
Sorry man.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts

why would he write u for not having a license? u have one it's just out of state? was ur license expired from MD? that makes no sense. dont pay that ticket, take it to court. unless there's something u left out, but that's not right.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Re: so I got pulled over this evening . . . (ebxgsxr)

quote:[HR][/HR]why would he write u for not having a license? u have one it's just out of state? was ur license expired from MD? that makes no sense. dont pay that ticket, take it to court. unless there's something u left out, but that's not right.[HR][/HR]​
I agree....3 points can hurt you if you don't pay attention to them in the future....plus your inscurance will rise....damn cops....

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: so I got pulled over this evening . . . (JollyRoger)

Yeah, it was a "statie." The thing about the license is that I should've gotten a CO one by now . . since I'm now considered a resident . . but I still agree, why he said I was driving without a license is a bit extreme to me. He could've slapped me with a simple fine and said you need to take care of it . . but he didn't. Either way, if I go to court I don't think I'll be able to do anything about the license . . so those points would remain on the record. However, if I just pay the thing they will reduce the points from 3 to 1. It all sucks in the long run, and I'm more mad at myself than anything for not getting a CO license when I should've. . . at least he didn't slap me with not having valid plates . . that would've been a $1000 fine!!
!!
Some cops are cool, some are by the book, some just do things to screw with you . . .I still wouldn't want their job . . they put their lives on the line everyday.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Some cops are cool, some are by the book, some just do things to screw with you . . .I still wouldn't want their job . . they put their lives on the line everyday.[HR][/HR]​
Thanks. Some of us are. If he did write you for the lights, check the state law about times that lights are required. My state's law says that headlights must be on 30 minutes after sunset until 30 minutes before sunrise. If your state law is similar, go to the weather channel website or your local TV station site and get the time of sunset, and compare it to the ticket. That should void that charge. Not that I'm advocating arguing a ticket, but if you were legal, then you shouldn't have been charged. And if you weren't cited for that, but you were cited for the other stuff, you could get all of it thrown out if the reason he stopped you was the headlights, because he would have no probable cause to stop you in the first place.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: so I got pulled over this evening . . . (vr6Cop)

Wow, thanks for the input and I'll definatly look into it. My girlfriend actaully suggested the same . . I didn't think about the fact that the reason he pulled me over could be overturned that it would effect the other citation.
Update: I just checked the weather channel site and it stated that sunset was at 6.27, and my ticket was written for 6.40 . . I'll have to check the state laws now and see if it's similar.
So, in your state, I wouldn't legally have to have the headlamps on until aprox 7 according to the above? I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.

[Modified by scitekmike, 12:43 PM 4-5-2002]

·
Registered
7,427 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Man what is up with cops in Colorado? Was there a memo or something?
[HR][/HR]​
Ya man, they have to put the new cover sheets on all their TPS reports

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: so I got pulled over this evening . . . (vr6Cop)

Ok, so I looked at the Colorado Handbook and the law states—"Colorado law requires you to drive with your headlights on from sunset to sunrist or when visibility is less than 1000 feet."
Do you think I have an argument here? Sunset was at 6.27, he pulled me over just before 6.25 and wrote the ticket at 6.40, when I was stopped there was plenty of light for a visibility beyond 1000 feet.
Its pretty close in time, I don't think I can really argue it just becuase of how subjective it is . . and my assumption is that the court will favor the cops judgement and not mine.
What do you think?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Re: so I got pulled over this evening . . . (cottageboy)

if you can somehow show them that you are "just visiting" they probably let the linsence go and you should check the local laws about lights and times normally its a half hour before and after

·
Registered
7,991 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]So, in your state, I wouldn't legally have to have the headlamps on until aprox 7 according to the above? I just want to make sure I understand you correctly.[HR][/HR]​
In my state, you are correct. But according to your next post...
quote:[HR][/HR]—"Colorado law requires you to drive with your headlights on from sunset to sunrist or when visibility is less than 1000 feet."
Do you think I have an argument here? Sunset was at 6.27, he pulled me over just before 6.25 and wrote the ticket at 6.40, when I was stopped there was plenty of light for a visibility beyond 1000 feet.[HR][/HR]​
Look at the specific statute in question. Sometimes the Drivers' Handbooks have erroneous information in them. I had a case where I arrested a kid for DUI after I stopped him late at night for having his high beams on while approaching me, and not dimming them. His attorney brought in the TN Drivers' Handbook and quoted where it said that it is a "courtesy" to dim headlights upon approaching other motorists, and asked that the entire case be thrown out based on lack of probable cause to stop him in the first place. I showed the judge the specific statue, where is stated that drivers must dim their bright lights within 1500 feet of approaching traffic. The attorney dropped the defense and plead guilty because the statue overrides the handbook. In your case, the law may be more specific, and it may even be in your favor.
Another thing to consider in your case: if you argue times, and the only time on the citation is 6:40, the trooper could argue that that was the time he pulled you over. Then you would have to subpoena radio records and log sheet records to see when he stopped you, which is a total PITA. And it probably wouldn't help you, because most troopers and large city cops don't check out on the radio or even write down on their activity sheet when they are on traffic stops, because it causes too much radio clutter and too much paperwork.
So, subjectivity may get you, unless there is a videotape of the stop, which would have the time of day on it, and show how the visibility was

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: so I got pulled over this evening . . . (cottageboy)

quote:[HR][/HR]Ya man, they have to put the new cover sheets on all their TPS reports
[HR][/HR]​
LOL!!! I love that movie!
anyway sunset at 6.27, pulled over just before 6.25, that's pushing it

but from some one who has been to court a couple of time here in CO (granted the springs not Denver) I find that they are pretty fair about things. I don’t know about the city/county that you were pulled over (where was it BTW?) Down here just for going to court you are offered a plea just for showing up. So usually you can get things reduced in points by 2 or so.
Good luck!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

It was actually up in Boulder . . I know it's pushing it, I don't have much of an argumnet unless like VRcop said, there was a video of the stop showing the amount of light outside.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.