VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bye truck

Welcome Jeep

Apparently I cant get away from the black and white, base model, 2 door, 4x4 truck world. This one, however, is manuel. I have owned tons of Jeeps but never a manual XJ. Ive already gone camping/light offroading with it and I enjoy the different driving experience off-road, so far. It is exceptionally clean inside and out. Needs a few dings pulled and chips touched up but it was extremely well maintained and it came to me with lots of really nice mods. 6" longarm kit, 33s, winch, locked front and rear. For those of you that followed my Dodge thread you know I get into some real shenanigans at times and this Jeep is only going to make things better...or worse, depending on your viewpoint. :laugh: Im going on a 5 day adventure starting this Thursday across Colorado with a group of people that are relatively internet famous/infamous so its going to be well documented and I will surely post updates here.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Internet famous. haha

Nice Jeep though. :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
An XJ Cherokee with the correct number of doors is always good looking. That one is especially nice. I did enjoy following what you did to the truck. Have fun with this one! :beer:

·
Super Moderator
6,962 Posts
This definitely looks like a good idea. :thumbup:

I've got a buddy with a killer first gen 4Runner that moved to Colorado a couple years back. His pics from his off-road camping trips are ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Nice! I would love a two door and a huge bonus is a manual! Looking forward to your adventures!

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Internet famous. haha

Nice Jeep though. :thumbup:
Youll see ;)

An XJ Cherokee with the correct number of doors is always good looking. That one is especially nice. I did enjoy following what you did to the truck. Have fun with this one! :beer:

This definitely looks like a good idea. :thumbup:

I've got a buddy with a killer first gen 4Runner that moved to Colorado a couple years back. His pics from his off-road camping trips are ridiculous.
I do love those 1st gen 4Runners but Im a Jeep guy.

Nice! I would love a two door and a huge bonus is a manual! Looking forward to your adventures!
Its my first two door XJ and first manual XJ, pretty excited.

Hmm, hood is popped on that dirt trail...is that a sign? :D

Nice buy. Is that a dual front shock system? What's it have for diffs?
Heh, well I wasnt having any overheating problems, I simply pulled over to air my tires back up before hitting the pavement which is right behind me. It did wind up being a forecast for what was about to come though. Once back in Denver I was cruising on the highway at about 70 with the A/C on full blast because its been in the upper 90s and the water pump let go. Luckily I was two miles from my cousins house that has a garage stocked full of tools. Saturday night turned into beer drinking and truck wrenching. The funniest part about this is two days prior we had it up on a lift at my buddies shop to bleed the brakes/clutch, recharge the A/C and give it a thorough once over. Its very clean under the hood and all appeared well, it also passed emissions that day. If the pump had let go two hours earlier I would have been 80 miles from nowhere on top of a mountain. :laugh:

As for the shocks, what you see is the bumpstop which is inside of the coil spring then the shock is just behind the spring, this is how the front suspension is stock on all TJ/XJ/MJ/ZJ vehicles. Diffs unfortunately are just D30 up front and Chrysler 8.25 out back. At least its not an ABS/Dana 35 setup.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
mmmmmm 2door Cherokees, nice buy, I wish they weren't made out of rust in my area. My family had a '91 Laredo 2door 4.0HO, Auto, Selectrac and I occasionally check the usual places to see if anything similar is for sale right now. That thing had the front door vent windows (smoker windows) and awesome vents on the back side windows.
It looked just like this

I can still hear the ignition buzzer and the sound of the starter motor.

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
9,891 Posts
Look forward to seeing the upcoming trip! Have fun!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
22,277 Posts
Loves me some XJ, especially 2dr. Trouble is they have mostly all turned back to sand due to rust.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Nice find, especially a base model. Be nice to those axles though, especially the front, with 33s and lockers. If you get too rowdy you'll have a bad time on the trail.

·
Registered
22,277 Posts
Nice find, especially a base model. Be nice to those axles though, especially the front, with 33s and lockers. If you get too rowdy you'll have a bad time on the trail.
Hey now! You are spoiling all of the fun. This thread will be void of content if you divulge all the warnings. :laugh:

·
Banned
2,591 Posts
TCL darling? That turd?
Try buying a Miata or something then come back with that subject matter. :D

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you have not found it already, Naxja.org is one of the better tech forums. I am vt98xj over there...

1 - 20 of 112 Posts