VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
8,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it was slippery out and I lost control leaving a buddy's house... Spun around on me and backed into the gaurdrail and then slid across the cement part with the front. There's like 2 very small tire tracks where the ABS kicked in just before I hit the gaurdrail but other than that nothing... it was all sliding on ice. Everyone's ok (thank God). I'm a lil sore, and have taken prolly way too many pain killers today but I'm feelin pretty good. Now for the pics...
Before:

After...
Can't really see it, but that's a taillight and some other peices off in the woods and creek.

Drove it home after it happened, seemed to drive ok other than a little bit of wind noise... It's being taken to a local body shop tomorrow morning and I'll know later if it's totalled (which I'll be surprised if it's not). Now it's effin snowing and I'm back to walking to work again http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif
I'm prepared for flamage, so lay it on.

· Registered
446 Posts
Oh, I think you more than kissed that guardrail, maybe raped it woulda been a better description.

· Registered
2,637 Posts
Re: (euro3b)

Mega-bummer! Get well soon.
If you do end up looking for parts buyers, I could use that left taillight lens assembly, assuming it's in good condition; mine has a crack and a small hole in it (don't ask
).

· Registered
1,565 Posts
Damn bro that sucks, sry to hear that. It looks like it is most likely totalled, which sucks since you were one of the few passats here in the NW when it was time for cruises and all
. Glad ur ok, and let us know the status on your ride bro http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif.

· Registered
4,724 Posts
Re: (dubonaire_B4)

whoa! so glad you're ok!!!!!
the snow's been a bit crazy here...i had to have chains to get OUT of seattle today. seattle!
plus...now all the slush has iced over and i just busted my butt in the parking lot, but you know, it happens.

let us know what happens with your ride!

· Registered
10,197 Posts
Re: (lori_ceetee)

That snowfall in those pics is nothing... plus it doesn't even look that cold out. Here in Calgary is -40degrees with the wind chill and at least 10cm on the ground.
IIRC, the OP commented in his last thread how he's such good and safe driver. To me (from the description), it seems he choked and tried to brake rather than steering the car through the bend...

· Registered
8,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (1Point8TDan)

Thanks fellas... talked to the shop today, and they're totalling it. Which, I'm actually pretty happy about because I don't want to see it attempted to be put back together... I've always felt it's never the same if it's redone like that.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to bring this B5 on the PNW cruises... looks like I'll have to take one of the Mk1's http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Quote, originally posted by 1Point8TDan »
That snowfall in those pics is nothing... plus it doesn't even look that cold out. Here in Calgary is -40degrees with the wind chill and at least 10cm on the ground.
IIRC, the OP commented in his last thread how he's such good and safe driver. To me (from the description), it seems he choked and tried to brake rather than steering the car through the bend...

You're right, the snowfall is nothing. And guess what... there wasn't ANY when this happened, it was just icey. The snowfall (which, look on the internet, is pretty bad in this area right now...hell, look in the PNW forums) happened afterwards. And If there was an icon to flip you off, like there is on the DTM boards, I would use it right now.
So, because people have a tendancy that because I'm 19, I don't know how to drive... for the record: I talked to 2 of my buddies that were in the car at the time, and both said that they're glad I was driving, because they thought for sure we would have either went into the drink or rolled had some of their other friends been driving. One of the girls, (who, constantly comments on my driving when she's with me, BTW) said that she'd have no problem riding with me again. She's been in numerous accidents and rarely feels safe riding with other people. Talked to some other guys (mostly at work) that know my driving, and they said they're surprised I wasn't able to pull out of it. Believe it or not... I know how to drive, you putz. I'm not trying to show off, but just trying to deter you from running your mouth just because I post up the bad isht that happens to my car.

· Registered
181 Posts
Re: so my b5 wagon kissed a gaurdrail... (Saz2001)

Quote, originally posted by Saz2001 »
Aren't you the one who cracked his oil pan by taking flying lesson with your Passat?
No comment!

I don't know, but I just did that myself last night. Didn't know I had a problem until the oil light and stop motor light came on. Now I'm driving my 86 Taurus.

· Registered
1,595 Posts
Re: (rollercoasterracer)

Kissed the guardrail? I'd say you boffed it. Ouch. Glad you're OK. My car looked like that when I was installing my trailer hitch (which I see you have as well -- what brand hitch is that?), but that was intentional (and within the safe confines of my snowless garage).
IF.TOTALLED.THEN.B6_WAGON?

· Registered
8,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (sbachmeier)

Thanks guys

Quote, originally posted by sbachmeier »

IF.TOTALLED.THEN.B6_WAGON?

Negative... I think they're hideous and look like a mini-van, if anything I'd get another B5 wagon. BUT, neither is happening... now I'm just going to spend time & money on my Mk1 project instead of having to keep up on maintenance on a newer rig.
I really don't think I'm going to grab anything off the B5 before it goes to the auction... sorry guys. I did grab the Monster 'VW Passat' rubber floor mats though if anyone wants em

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.