VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I've mentioned it before, but my dad volunteers at the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum in Dulles, VA and apparently the museum receives so much cool stuff it's not getting inventoried and cleaned efficiently. The museum trained a bunch of their volunteers to clean and inventory items for display and even items that are already on display (they were rushed out onto the floor). Today my dad worked on one of these.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Napier_Nomad_II_Model_E._145,_1947.jpg

·
Registered
562 Posts
Awesome. I live just south of Dulles, but haven't been to the museum since I got married there in early '12.

I should be a docent there... I talk my wife's ears off about planes all the time.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. I live just south of Dulles, but haven't been to the museum since I got married there in early '12.

I should be a docent there... I talk my wife's ears off about planes all the time.
My dad is the same way, he's retired from the Air Force Reserve (25 years) and will go on and on about planes all day. He has thought of becoming a docent but he likes the job he has, greeting people kind of being where they need him to be around the museum. One of my parent's good friend is a docent, became one a few years back.

·
Registered
44,112 Posts
I'd get fired my first day for trying to have sex with the static displays.

And I don't mean the mannequins :(

·
Registered
562 Posts
Yeah, I need to know too. I'm about to either be jealous or REALLY jealous. :eek:
We didn't want an expensive "normal" wedding, so we decided to get an officer of the peace or whatever they call 'em these days.

I called Udvar-Hazy, and they said, "No weddings!". After a few minutes of trying to explain the wedding party only consisted of me, her, a referee, and a photographer, they were still adamant.

Then I said, "Well, we're doing this anyway, so I was just giving you fair warning." They said, "Well, just don't disrupt the museum patrons." "Uh, okay, we were totally planning on doing that, but fine."

So, as far as we know, my wife and I are the first and only couple to have an Enola Gay wedding at the museum :D

And now I realize I have been back since. Last Christmas my mom came out from Portland to visit, and we all went. Of course, I had low blood sugar as soon as we got there so we all went to the McDonald's inside. Holy crap, that place was crowded. Once we got finished with our food we proceeded to check out the museum. Then the 6 year old decided he didn't want to be there within 15 minutes of leaving the restaurant. Ugh.

·
Registered
44,112 Posts
Son. Of. A. ........

You win. Everything. All of it. The thread....the sub-forum......all of it.

Nicely done! That is badass! :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Son. Of. A. ........

You win. Everything. All of it. The thread....the sub-forum......all of it.

Nicely done! That is badass! :eek::eek::eek:

Why, thank you!

I most certainly did win... my wife is awesome. I'm a really lucky guy.

Oh, and I expect at least 1,000,000 internetz in my PayPal account by tonight ;)

P.S. My wife is the one who suggested Udvar-Hazy. When we were first thinking about where to do the deed, that was the first place she said. Was I going to argue about it? Hellllll no.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sorry, Hostile, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

That Nomad is craaaaaazy complicated. As an engineer, I have to applaud the ingenuity of that beast. Wow.

And I will be happy to post Horten pix once I get my sorry arse back over there.

My personal favorite is the Do-335 Pfiel... my rock-n-roll dream is to show up at Reno in one and watch Rare Bear and Precious Metal pack up and leave without even hitting the course.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Sorry, Hostile, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

That Nomad is craaaaaazy complicated. As an engineer, I have to applaud the ingenuity of that beast. Wow.

And I will be happy to post Horten pix once I get my sorry arse back over there.

My personal favorite is the Do-335 Pfiel... my rock-n-roll dream is to show up at Reno in one and watch Rare Bear and Precious Metal pack up and leave without even hitting the course.
:laugh: Word.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FV-QR

My dad cleaned and inventoried two more engines today.

Benz BZ 4S In-line Engine

Lawrance L-3 Radial Engine

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FV-QR

Dad also said that one more session and he'll be certified to work on full aircraft.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FV-QR

Yesterday, Dad completed his certification by cleaning this specially modified Bell H-13J with two other volunteers. He's now certified to clean/inventory entire aircraft.

From the SI website:
On July 12, 1957, Dwight D. Eisenhower became the first President of the United States to fly in this helicopter. The occasion was a simulated nuclear alert staged to test how quickly the Chief Executive and other government officials could depart Washington, D. C. and reach a safe haven outside the city. During 1957, the Bell Helicopter Corporation modified a stock Bell H-13J helicopter to meet the President's special needs. Technicians added all-metal rotor blades, special arm and foot rests to the right seat, and a frame-less, Plexiglas nose bubble heavily tinted to reduce glare and heat. Eisenhower's personal helicopter pilot, United States Air Force Major Joseph E. Barrett, flew the rotorcraft from the center seat and a Secret Service agent occupied the left seat.

An identical Bell H-13J, assigned the Air Force serial number 57-2728, usually accompanied the President's helicopter. This aircraft carried his physician and another Secret Service agent.

·
Registered
15,525 Posts
Yesterday, Dad completed his certification by cleaning this specially modified Bell H-13J with two other volunteers. He's now certified to clean/inventory entire aircraft.

From the SI website:

That is so freakin' cool.:thumbup::thumbup:

I tried to get out there when we were in-town over christmas - but time was short. Maybe in a coupla months i'll make a special trip with the 4yo, she loved it at 3, I could spend days there going from exhibit to exhibit.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts