VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Langley Wind Tunnel Components

The restoration folks at the Udvar-Hazy Center recently received some components of an early wind tunnel from N.A.S.A. Langley, VA. I heard that it will be put on display in the Boeing Milestones of Flight Gallery at the Museum downtown after the parts are inspected and refurbished. The metal dome is the prop spinner and the four prop blades are to the right of it:

To the right of the props is an old Sikorsky flying boat that was on the ground at Pearl Harbor. During the bombing a crew and a bunch of sailors, armed with rifles, took of to find Zeros to shoot down. They didn't have any success but it was not for the lack of having big cahoonas.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Photos Of The Graffiti

Apologies for not getting these Apollo 11 flotation ring photos sooner and apologies for the lack of clarity. Unfortunately, time has caused the graffiti to fade:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Full Engine

I was able to get the remainder of the engine cleaned with my cohort yesterday - it looks like new and has very few problems; a little lubricant leakage and a faint bit of surface on the thrust nozzle. Both problems will be fixed by the restoration staff.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Up Close and Personal - P&W X-35 Engine

Working on the engine yesterday. The practice for cleaning is to use a soft brush to disturb the dust and vacuum it when it is disturbed. For larger objects, like aircraft wings we use a cloth "mop" which we vacuum after each sweep:

On 4 August we are being trained to clean and inspect the SR-71, Blackbird. I can't wait for that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Apollo II Flotation Ring Graffitti

Apologies for the delay in updating my posts, but here are photos of the graffitti on the rings. I suspect that the graffitti was put there by thw crew of the U.S.S. Horton and/or the SEAL team that retrieved the astronauts from the capsule:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mr. Hostile's dad,

Did anything special happen at the Enola Gay today? :(

Ack. USS Indianapolis. How many people nowadays even connect the two? Not nearly enough, anymore.

·
Registered
2018 Atlas R-Line; 2019 330xi M-Sport
32,648 Posts
Delivering the bomb and then getting torpedoed a few days later (7/30/44)? I was actually referring to the passing of the Enola Gay's navigator (the last crew member), Major Dutch Van Kirk.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Delivering the bomb and then getting torpedoed a few days later (7/30/44)? I was actually referring to the passing of the Enola Gay's navigator (the last crew member), Major Dutch Van Kirk.

Oh no, I didn't see that bit of news :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Enola Gay

Nothing that I am aware of. What should I have expected had I been at the museum? Sorry for taking so long to respond but my wife had me busy redecorating.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tuskeegee Institute Stearman

I had the pleasure the pleasure of cleaning this old beauty a few months ago. The Air and Space Museum was asked to display it until the African American museum is opened and it will be put on display there. I was told that when it was
donated it did not come with the original engine so the Institute found an engine that was used on the Tuskegee Stearman and swapped it. I don't know how true that is but I would not discount it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
SR-71 Being Cleaned

The volunteer cleaning team the SR-71 on 4 August under close supervision of one of the restoration expertst. It was a blast:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Horton Restoration

I heard on Monday that funds for three of the people that were working on the Horton have been withdrawn so that had to leave the job. Unfortunately, that sort of thing happens with museums, especially those that rely on private funding and public donations. However, work continues on other projects such as Flak Bait.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Just found this. Wow is that a awesome job. Any new updates?:thumbup:

61 - 80 of 94 Posts