VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
FV-QR

Google is going to be at the museum this week before and after hours to photograph the museum and exhibits for Google Street View.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
FV-QR

A recent email from dad.

The main foyer to the Air and Space museum downtown is being re-done and they have been taking aircraft down from the ceiling to move them around. The put a sign up saying that such-and-such and aircraft has been temporarily moved and replaced by Wonder Woman’s invisible airplane. The staff were amazed by the number of visitors who asked where the airplane was because they couldn’t find it.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
FV-QR

I haven't had any picture updates from dad but he is now in charge of all the volunteer cleaning crews at the museum.

·
Registered
15,525 Posts
I haven't had any picture updates from dad but he is now in charge of all the volunteer cleaning crews at the museum.
That's awesome.

I was just there yesterday. Tell him everything looks tidy, but the doors won't open to let me check out the restoration hangar from behind the glass. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)
FV-QR

Since this is public now I figured I could post some updates from dad. The story of this chopper is awesome and it's so cool they actually found it and restored it.

From a few weeks ago:
I got the chance to climb into the cabin and also to get a close up look at the rotor housing last Friday. My cohort, Nick, is at the top of the stairway:

http://www.wfaa.com/features/rowlett-coast-guard-vet-honored-by-smithsonian/39617811
And a few days ago:
I was working in the restoration hangar when the Coast Guard was putting the final touches on it. They let me climb into it and get up the ladder to look at the rotor assembly. They Coast Guard crew did an absolutely terrific job of refurbishing it – it looks like it just rolled out of the factory door. I hope to be at UHC when they hoist it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...hp_local-news_helicopter-710pm:homepage/story

·
Registered
602 Posts
Finally back home in loudoun before I move the family to the UK, can't wait to stop by and see the museum again, been several years since I was there

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
SOLO will be on the IMAX screen starting May 25th.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts