VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

261 - 280 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
23,253 Posts
Sweet idea! I’ll get the new trans mounts, mid supports and suspension bushings put in! Do you have an alignment rack (and know how to use it)? :laugh:
Good question on the alignment rack, I want to put shocks and struts on the Party Box. :laugh:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #262
Sweet idea! I’ll get the new trans mounts, mid supports and suspension bushings put in! Do you have an alignment rack (and know how to use it)? :laugh:
We literally had a 15k lb rack and a Hunter Hawkeye elite installed three weeks ago! Too bad we probably live nowhere near each other.

Ordered my tires on amazon last night, as we looked through our suppliers at work and go laughed at when we said we were looking for 13's. They are not great, but they will be fine for what I'm doing, plus I'll find a set of 14's if I need performance tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Local friend of mine has gotten into Festivas in the last couple years. I'd be surprised if he wasn't on the Festiva forums. He even picked up those same camber/caster plates for one of his.

I think I've seen at least one Festiva at a local Autox group, if not two. I want to say I've seen the white one on course.

Also, I saw your Caddy at the Greenville Cars and Coffee a few months back too!

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
3,701 Posts
Is his name John? Cars look familiar
Sure is!

I think I've seen at least one Festiva at a local Autox group, if not two. I want to say I've seen the white one on course.

Also, I saw your Caddy at the Greenville Cars and Coffee a few months back too!
I'm sure you have. He definitely takes them to the AutoX. From what I hear, he does pretty well in them?

I'm usually at Cars and Coffee every month. There's only certain ones that I end up missing (usually because I'm out of town at another show, haha).

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Sure is!

I'm sure you have. He definitely takes them to the AutoX. From what I hear, he does pretty well in them?

I'm usually at Cars and Coffee every month. There's only certain ones that I end up missing (usually because I'm out of town at another show, haha).
Yes, he's smooth on course. Maybe you'd be able take the caddy one day too!

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Good question on the alignment rack, I want to put shocks and struts on the Party Box. :laugh:
:) :thumbup:

We literally had a 15k lb rack and a Hunter Hawkeye elite installed three weeks ago! Too bad we probably live nowhere near each other.

Ordered my tires on amazon last night, as we looked through our suppliers at work and go laughed at when we said we were looking for 13's. They are not great, but they will be fine for what I'm doing, plus I'll find a set of 14's if I need performance tires.
Oh, I was definitely being facetious. I'm in southern Indiana close to Louisville and that's a hell of a drive. In winter. With a 50 year old tin can. :laugh: :beer:

The original (1978-81?) Ford Fiesta used 12" tires. The only reason it didn't smoke the competition autocrossing is because you couldn't get 12" tires worth a damn and 13s weren't optional, so any upgrade put you in a different class. :(

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #268
Sorry, too lazy to go through all the pages I've missed...

If Girlfriend a Wife yet?

Seems logical after car gifting....
Been a wife for over a year now, though 2019 will be 8 years together.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Got the car to the shop on the weekend, its home for the next few weeks.

My new tires from Amazon arrived today. We exhausted every resource we could trying to find 13" tires locally with no luck. They are a bit bigger than I would have preferred to go, but low-pro 13's are basically non existent unless you want Nankangs, which are junk in my experience. Went with 185/60R13 Federal 595's.

Mounted and balanced them after work, good to finally see rubber on them.

Couldn't resist rolling them up beside for a preview. With the added track width from the Aspire swap and rear camber adjusters, I believe these are going to require some fender work to fit without rubbing. We will see shortly.

The Miata brake booster and master courtesy of Rock Auto also showed up today. Once again, non of our local parts suppliers could find them. I wish I picked normal cars to modify...

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Ooh, I am excited to see the progress that you'll be making over the next couple of weeks!

Quick question: In the background of the tire mounted, what's the red air tank with the nozzle used for? Is that a safer way to do the rapidly expanding stretched tires trick?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #272
Ooh, I am excited to see the progress that you'll be making over the next couple of weeks!

Quick question: In the background of the tire mounted, what's the red air tank with the nozzle used for? Is that a safer way to do the rapidly expanding stretched tires trick?
It's commonly called a Cheetah, up here anyways, and it's used to inflate tires with a narrow bead onto a wider rim, large tires, or tires that are generally a pain in the ass to inflate. It releases 5 gallons of 150psi compressed air as fast as you can open the ball valve. It's quite loud, but it gets the job done.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #273 (Edited)
Earlier this week, a friend was nice enough to let me use his lathe to polish the spindles for the rear, since they looked pretty crappy

Installed the hardware in the spindles

Masked and painted the drums as well

With the Christmas holiday upon us, we are closing the shop for a week and a half. My boss agreed to let me bring the Festiva to work to swap over my brakes/suspension during our week off. Got started on it tonight after work.

Decided to start on the rear, here's the pile of parts.

Undercoat for days!

Old beam/brakes/struts out

Ready to install the Aspire beam

Custom made poly rear spring perches

Rear camber/toe adjusters installed on the backing plates along with new wheel cylinders

Backing plates and rear coils installed. I'll be getting a batch of hardware plated to replace all the rusty stuff, however I just couldn't get it done in time this time around.

Threw the races and bearings in a drum to test fit the rears. Unfortunately there are some fairly serious fitment issues with my choice of rims/tires. Looks amazing, but I don't think I'll be able to make it work without cutting the fenders and adding flares. Either that or going with a heavier spring rate to reduce the amount of sag in the rear. For now I'm just going to get it rolling and sort out the issues later.

I wanted to have the rear brakes done before I called it a day today, however I've misplaced my new brake hardware kit, and none of our suppliers could get us one today either, so I'll either have to go hunt for it at our old house or re-use the crappy old hardware.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
With the realization that the Gold Exims would not fit without fender work/smaller tires, I hopped on Kijiji in search of some new 13" wheels. Came across these Toyota wheels in 13x5 et45, so I made the drive out to Kitchener to pick them up.

In typical fashion of my life, I started getting pain in my right knee Saturday afternoon. By Sunday morning it was apparent I had gout again. Working on the car Sunday afternoon was out.

I had planned weeks in advance to work most of the day on the 24th. The leg felt ok enough, so I got five hours in today. Didn't get near as much done as I had hoped, but any progress at this point is good. My leg was none too happy afterwards...

Installed the NOS Ford brakeshoes. Had to reuse my existing hardware as I could not source a new set out till the new year.

Installed the new races in the drums, packed the bearings, installed the new grease seals on put on the drums. Finally installed the Southern US ebrake cable I purchased in 2016 to replace my broken one. Had to remove the rear seat and carpet, which sucked, but it's done now.

And that's it for the rear. I had saved the brake hardlines from the Festiva beam, but they don't fit properly, so I'm going to make up some new hardlines once I have the stainless steel flex lines made up this Thursday.

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
3,701 Posts
Installed the NOS Ford brakeshoes. Had to reuse my existing hardware as I could not source a new set out till the new year.

Is that upper spring installed right? I've never seen one that looked so out of place. Looks like you even had to twist it a bit to get it in.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #276
Is that upper spring installed right? I've never seen one that looked so out of place. Looks like you even had to twist it a bit to get it in.
I too thought the same thing, but according to the pictures I took when disassembling the beam for powdercoating, that's how it went.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
I too thought the same thing, but according to the pictures I took when disassembling the beam for powdercoating, that's how it went.
The new one looks like it's in more of a bind than the original. :/

I'm really sorry about the gout. :(

·
Registered
14,451 Posts
I'd love to hear how this thing handles now with the Aspire parts.

Chris

261 - 280 of 385 Posts