VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

341 - 360 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
I’ve not done any research on the bike carb conversion. The festiva community is generally against modifying these engines since swaps are so easy, but I’m stubborn. The B6T apparently turns these cars into an absolute monster, but I’m not after a monster, just a bit more zip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,387 Posts
Epic wheels. I also haven't seen a set of those for quite some time.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
“Like” :thumbup:

Fabbing a manifold doesn’t scare me and linkage requires a little tenacity and patience, but without knowing where to start on jetting is a bit perplexing to me.

I suppose since the displacement is so much higher and the rev range so much lower that it works out pretty well, size wise. :thumbup:

Good! The linkage was actually one of the more fun parts that I had to figure out, and you are right-on with the sizing.

At a basic level, carbs function by fueling for a given air flow. They fuel pretty well on motorcycle jetting because a 2.0L at 7k RPM is flowing a similar amount of air as a 1.0L at 14k RPM... Obviously it's not that cut & dry but conceptually that's the deal.

Also convenient is that bike carbs are very similar in size to our engine ports. My 1.8L is running on 36mm Keihins from a Kawasaki Ninja 750. Most VW 16v guys aim for larger 40mm carbs typically from 1000-1200cc bikes.

Motorcycles have a TON of aftermarket, and carb tuning and upgrade knowledge is readily available. They can get a little pricey if you have to rebuild them (four independent carbs) and I have learned the hard way that they are sensitive to sitting around with Ethanol gas...

Here's my (still incomplete) setup:

I’ve not done any research on the bike carb conversion. The festiva community is generally against modifying these engines since swaps are so easy, but I’m stubborn. The B6T apparently turns these cars into an absolute monster, but I’m not after a monster, just a bit more zip.
I wholeheartedly encourage you to look into it! I've always been a fan of the underdog motors (VW 8v enthusiast) as long as they have some redeeming qualities... In my opinion, it's also a lot of fun to wring out a little high-strung motor on a regular basis, than to have to drive around timidly with a motor that's too powerful...

If you want to go this route, feel free to shoot me a PM. I get on here every few days, and although I am far from an expert I would be happy to help!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
If you want to go this route, feel free to shoot me a PM. I get on here every few days, and although I am far from an expert I would be happy to help!
I’ll be sure to get in touch when the time comes! The car is most likely not going to get touched this winter unfortunately along with the rest of the cars, but eventually I’ll be able to get back to them.

·
Registered
1999 MKIII GOLF Mi, 2018 Sentra Nismo
3,758 Posts
Is this still thing going on?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #347
Is this still thing going on?
Car is in storage for the winter at the moment off my property. I’m hoping to start buying some engine goodies in the next year, there’s a guy working on a bike carb intake manifold for the B3 engine, and the Festiva store is now carrying a B3 header. Those along with a regroups cam should provide some extra zip, and I have a 5speed trans to swap in as well.

·
Registered
1999 MKIII GOLF Mi, 2018 Sentra Nismo
3,758 Posts
Nice thanks for the update.

·
Registered
82,894 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
This things kinda a ongoing joke amongst the Festiva people, has been for sale numerous times.

In Festiva news, I’ve sent the 13” Phonedials out for repair and refinishing, just waiting for the call to pick them up.

Who are you using to do the repair and refinish? I have to get my current winter rims, 98 Subaru RS Goldie's looked at once winter is done. 3 of 4 rims are losing a lot of air weekly as well as some cosmetic issues.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
Who are you using to do the repair and refinish? I have to get my current winter rims, 98 Subaru RS Goldie's looked at once winter is done. 3 of 4 rims are losing a lot of air weekly as well as some cosmetic issues.

Using AWRS in London, came recommended by multiple people. Will see how they turn out.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Looking forward to your update.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
Picked up the new wheels from refinishing/repair today. Bryan at AWRS in London, Ontario did a fantastic job! Now to find centre caps...

·
Premium Member
10,983 Posts
"made in west germany" is a neat touch on those wheels :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
Broke it out of winter jail today, then it started snowing on the way home...

On the to-do list: test for wheels, get hub centric rings, get spacers if needed, install mud flaps, install tach cluster, bit more low, install new bumpers, get custom seat bases made for the VW mk2 recaros, get and install a short-throw shifter, oil change, whatever else I can get into...

341 - 360 of 385 Posts