Nice!! I'm glad you finally found an Aspire setup!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,567 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Started getting it ready for the upcoming season tonight. Due to other obligations (stupid expensive house renovations), I've decided to put off the Aspire swap for the time being and save for a big teardown this upcoming fall/winter.

Greasy

The only real rust on the car. There's a couple floor seams that have some rust peeking out, but I couldn't get good pictures

Interior is pretty clean. Some staining on front seats. Missing original floor mats. It will all be getting steam cleaned.

Dealer installed sunroof

The owner insisted the tapes that had been with the car for two decades go with it.

Stock brakes, so tiny!

Aspire brakes. Quite a bit bigger plus vented rotors

Aspire rear beam. Wider track and much larger brakes.

The former owners loved undercoating

Next on the list is changing all the fluids, servicing the brakes, dismounting and refinishing the rims and cleaning the interior.

·
Registered
34,494 Posts
I see more grease/oil/grime than undercoating. :laugh:

It saved the car though.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
You're so much more willing to drive for parts than I am. If I was faced with a similar situation (hell, if I had to drive three hours for those brakes) I would have bought an entire parts car. :laugh:

Can't wait though, I've always really liked Festivas.

·
Registered
752 Posts
So here I am, realizing that I love these cars. And I don't understand why. Either way thanks for the updates keep them coming. :beer:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
You're so much more willing to drive for parts than I am. If I was faced with a similar situation (hell, if I had to drive three hours for those brakes) I would have bought an entire parts car. :laugh:

Can't wait though, I've always really liked Festivas.
Problem is they don't exist where I am. There were literally six Aspires for sale in the entire country of Canada, the closest being 6-8 hours away in Quebec. Then I have to worry about insurance, car making it back home (I don't have a trailer).

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Did a quick cleanup and repaint on the stock 12" wheels. The previous owners had painted them with a brush while the tires were still on, leaving brush marks and paint on the tires. These are just for this year until I get the suspension swapped and the 13" Exims on

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
The beast is back on the road after new plugs, wires, filters, fluids, brake service, new front brake pads, v belt, wiper blades, cap and rotor, and clean and repack all the wheel bearings. Speedo cable fell apart when I removed it to refill the transmission. This is our only car at the moment, Our Volvo is dead currently and my Jetta needs a clutch which I'm currently waiting for parts...

My biggest pet peeve is dirty engine bays, and this one was exceptionally dirty, so first order of business was getting it washed. Let it soak in the purple castrol degreaser stuff for a couple hours then hit it with the pressure washer.

Before

After

I'll eventually pull the engine and clean it properly.

·
Registered
34,494 Posts
You got rid of all the "undercoating"!! Now it's going to rust! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Nah, no more winters for this thing. Chances are it will be restored some day anyways. I can't stand getting covered in greasy crud every time I'm under the hood.

·
Registered
14,456 Posts
Good work! It will handle and stop a ton better with all that Aspire gear.

There really is something special about these cars. They feel snappy, have lots of room for what they are and they are just flat out fun to drive.

Enjoy,
Chris

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I remember these rolling around new, back in the day, when I worked at a quick-lube shop. I also recall some pretty wild decal / stripe packages. It would be cool to recreate a period-correct scheme, if you restore it.

There were louder schemes, I believe. Not too many pics online.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
in :thumbup::thumbup:

81 - 100 of 385 Posts