VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

121 - 140 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
I love your girlfriend and I haven't meet her but this is the kind of gesture that makes her different. The car is very cute actually. Tell your girlfriend that she earn the recognition on this forum and thanks for posting this rare post, I love it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I love your girlfriend and I haven't meet her but this is the kind of gesture that makes her different. The car is very cute actually. Tell your girlfriend that she earn the recognition on this forum and thanks for posting this rare post, I love it.:thumbup:
She's certainly something special. She wants to pull the engine out of our aircooled bus this fall and bring it into the living room for a reseal this winter.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
To give everyone an idea of the size of this thing...

No recent updates. Been using it as my commuter car the last few weeks while my gf is driving my Jetta. Found a potential engine swap in the Montreal area, but finding parts to support the swap here in Canada is proving difficult, being further complicated by the fact the car is carbureted instead of FI. It looks like if I want to swap this thing I will have to rely on the members of the Ford Festiva forum to gather parts for me.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Well, I pulled the trigger on an engine swap today. A turnkey Mazda B6D engine popped up on the forum for sale last night, by this afternoon we had worked out a deal. For $300 I got the engine, modified harness, ecm, all sensors and a larger rad from an auto car. From 58hp to 100 for $300?, I'll take that.

The only issue is I have to drive to West Virginia to get it, but it's only about 8 hours away. I had pretty much given up hope of finding a donor car up here, and was starting to look at possibly importing a Mercury Capri XR2 from the states, but this solves that issue! Pick it up the last weekend of November.

·
Registered
83,230 Posts
The only issue is I have to drive to West Virginia to get it]
West Virginia?
Wow... I never saw Mazdas there.
Maybe it's in the panhandle... as that is very different from the rest of the state.
That engine was too top heavy (power wise) for the MX3 (had to rev the piss out of it to go), but should be a hoot in a light Fiesta.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
West Virginia?
Wow... I never saw Mazdas there.
Maybe it's in the panhandle... as that is very different from the rest of the state.
That engine was too top heavy (power wise) for the MX3 (had to rev the piss out of it to go), but should be a hoot in a light Fiesta.
The engine is coming out of a Festiva that already had the swap done. Guy I purchased it from does swaps in these cars on a weekly basis. This engine is out of his daughters car which was wrecked. Comes with everything to convert my carbed car to fuel injection. I'm quite excited!

·
Registered
34,494 Posts
I've always wanted to do what you're about to do. :thumbup: Should be a hoot!

·
Registered
83,230 Posts
The engine is coming out of a Festiva that already had the swap done. Guy I purchased it from does swaps in these cars on a weekly basis. This engine is out of his daughters car which was wrecked. Comes with everything to convert my carbed car to fuel injection. I'm quite excited!

That picture brings up a sad point.. crash safety.
Did she hit some overgrown weeds?
Interesting that it had a push bar on the front of it. :screwy:
But it's WV.... that explains it. :)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
That picture brings up a sad point.. crash safety.
Did she hit some overgrown weeds?
Interesting that it had a push bar on the front of it. :screwy:
But it's WV.... that explains it. :)
It's not a car I'd like to be in an accident in at all...

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Its been over four months in the making, and today my custom made shift knob arrived!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23,469 Posts
What's the motor swap status? I've been appreciating this thread quite a bit, and I'm glad to see it pop towards the top again. :)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
What's the motor swap status? I've been appreciating this thread quite a bit, and I'm glad to see it pop towards the top again. :)
I've not yet made the drive to Virginia to pick up the engine, had a couple weekends planned to pick it up but weather got in the way. It won't likely be started until the summer, currently have the engine out of our '72 VW bus and am awaiting arrival of our '75 Mercedes that has to be done by spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 385 Posts