VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question. If the dealership was to fix/replace the synchro, would you remove the front cover all the way back to the radiator?

My car was leaking coolant like crazy. I turn it in and they said the radiator had fallen down into the core support. They also said that I would have to pay because this was improper repair or previous damage.

I feel like I'm getting screwed here. I had no coolant problems till after I got it back from them for doing the tranny synchro issue.....

Should I call them out? I do t even know what the hell is going on here.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Well, ask them "what's up", since you took it in to have the synchros worked on, (I'm assuming you mean shifter synchros), and now your radiator falls off. Radiators don't just come loose and fall off on a car this new -- was there an accident? You bet I'd call them out on it, if they did a repair recently.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well.......... Carmax sold me a previously wrecked R......
I don't even know right now.... Im about to Hulk out.

Car wrecked in the front. whoever reinstalled the radiator pushed it waaaay to close to the engine and the fan had shredded the coolant line to the radiator. no noises everything ran fine...I cant believe I didnt notice this!

mechanic said the radiator was also not bolted to the support core properly.....

car was then probably sold to carmax....and then sold to me....I feel so stupid right now. I cant believe i did this to my self...

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not sure how long ago you bought it, but Carmax may very we'll take care of it.

Did they not offer you a Carfax at the time of sale? They usually don't sell vehicles with "significant" prior damage repair.

It would be wise to have it checked out completely now that you know.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
i got it a few months ago. here is the story.

carfax was given prior to purchase. I was assured the car was "clean,no accidents" I stated I am super picky and anal. "this car is clean sir"

I took the car in for the 20k at vw at 17.5k told em 6th was a little ruff. they said the synchro was in bad shape so they replaced them. "cracked in half was what the mechanic said"
I took the car to Austin this weekend. Sun I got "coolant low check" light. It was empty. Filled it. It came back on in a few hours. Filled it. started the drive home. It came back on every 75 miles or so.

Got back last night and took it straight to the dealership. They called me saying it looks like there was some prior work and that's why you are leaking. I immediately went down so I could look at the car.
The mechanic showed me everything that was wrong...the radiator was not in the right spot...the fan was cutting a hose....the radiator mounts are jacked... he showed me all the stickers that come on parts that don't come from the factory but from the dealership parts bin.

He determined everything in the front was replaced....by someone. not a dealership and that the work was bad. Hence the thrashed hoses. He assured me both fenders had never been touched as well as the hood. there was radiator fluid all over the place....the fluid was spraying into the rad fan and all over the bay....I noticed this...The weather was screwed so it looked like I was getting the ice and sand/salt in the bay from the ground.

I feel if carmax did their "125 inspection" to insure that it was "carmax quality" that they would have known it had damage......they would have noticed that the fan was shredding a coolant pipe... so either they didn't inspect it or they did and should have known the deal....a vw dealership would know so should they. I really feel I have been duped here and all I wanted was a clean car.. and now I have a car thats been to the dealership for MAJOR repairs 2 times in the 3 months Ive had it.

Im calling their service supervisor tomorrow. I honestly don't want the car...I want this righted. I want what I thought I was getting.. now the car is worth probably 10-15k less than what it is now. Not to mention the problems that are going to pop up from this in the future. so much time wasted. and now im in the hole.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I vote prior damage. Dealer would not touch lock carrier or radiator for trans repairs.
i asked about that. they said there is no need. all work was done from the bottom. easy peezy.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Not sure how long ago you bought it, but Carmax may very we'll take care of it.

Did they not offer you a Carfax at the time of sale? They usually don't sell vehicles with "significant" prior damage repair.

It would be wise to have it checked out completely now that you know.
I told him to go through every screw (also because he found many non Oem screws and many missing)
He apologized for the bad news and I said "screw that dude you are helping me out here"

·
Registered
558 Posts
That's rough. I would go to Carmax immediately with the info you have, ask them why none of this damage was found during their inspection and why the carfax didn't return any accidents.

Sadly, I think you should part ways with the car. Sounds like whoever owned the car first was not nice to it and either doesn't know how to drive manual or abused the transmission. See what Carmax says and what they'll do for you. If you can get a straight up return on funds that would be ideal. Then you can get to looking at another R.

Post up your VIN so that no one else gets screwed over by this car.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
You might be screwed. CarMax says nothing about guaranteeing the car hasn't been in an accident or had repairs - just that it has no frame damage, flood damage or salvage title. And it looks like you discovered your issue outside of their 30-day warranty. :(

While not helpful to you, let it be a lesson to everyone else that if you purchase a used car (or better, before you purchase a used car) pay $100 to a mechanic to look it over for an hour.

·
Banned
53,529 Posts
You might be screwed. CarMax says nothing about guaranteeing the car hasn't been in an accident or had repairs - just that it has no frame damage, flood damage or salvage title. And it looks like you discovered your issue outside of their 30-day warranty. :(

While not helpful to you, let it be a lesson to everyone else that if you purchase a used car (or better, before you purchase a used car) pay $100 to a mechanic to look it over for an hour.
Actually, with the damage described anyone that would bother to ope the hood or look at the front of the car would have seen this during their initial inspection. The owner just didn't do his job and now he is whining about it.

·
Registered
25,084 Posts
get on facebook and make a stink like everybody else as well as going to the dealer.

unfortunately buyer beware.

:(:beer:

radiator coolant and hoses are all part of the 125 point checklist

"CarMax quality is knowing that you can depend on your car, day after day, year after year. Every car we sell is carefully inspected and reconditioned to the best condition possible—in fact, we spend over 12 hours, on average, on each used car."

so in 12 hours they didn't catch these issues.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow dude, so sorry to hear about this. I have been in a similar situation before, and I try to avoid buying cars from used car dealerships now because of it.

In 2008 I got my first job out of grad school and wanted a G35 coupe, as I'd dreamed of having one for years. Found one at a local used car lot, everything looked ok, etc etc. It did have a CEL when I bought it but was assured it was still under warranty (27k) and to just take it to the Infiniti dealer. I take it into the Infiniti dealer to find out that it was previously turbo'd, raced, crashed, had the engine blown, and had an engine replacement out of pocket by the previous leasee. Because of this, they absolutely refused to do any work under warranty. none of this was on the carfax.
I went back to the used car dealer and basically threatened to sue the **** out of them.
When I finally got to the manager the next day, they bought it back, payed off my loan, and then gave me another one at the same price (2k below asking) which was in much better condition. I basically explained to them that if they didn't rectify the situation we were just going to sue them for fraud. They wanted no part of any legal action. All the while they claimed they had no idea blah blah, but whatever, screw them.
I ended up driving the G for 4.5 years before I grew tired of RWD in MA, and the fact that those feel like econo ****boxes on the interior. My R is much nicer in every way, I'm glad to be rid of the Infiniti.

I would recommend getting a lawyer and taking it up with Carmax.
If you specifically asked about damage and they lied to you, I think you have a pretty good case for fraud. But I am no lawyer.

Sorry man, its a tough situation. Best of luck to you.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.