VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,791 Posts
Re: so say i had some 16x7" et +52 5x115mm bolt pattern wheels... (Trev0rBr)

Thickness of the adapter?
Should be "okay", but what is your current offset and rim size and how much space do you have on either side before you rub?

· Registered
1,791 Posts
Re: (Trev0rBr)

Quote, originally posted by Trev0rBr »
i just have castellettes right now

Size and ET on your wheels? It should say on them.
As it sits a 7" with an et of 52 will rub on the spring, Them fitting depends on the size of spacer you are going to run. I want to know the exact numbers so I can run run them and tell you how much you are going to change. This is far from rocket science, but it is nice to have someone walk you through the first time, And say; Your outer lip will be x/y" towards the fender, and you inner lip will be x/y" towards the spring.

· Registered
7,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
indeed and i appreciate it, they're 14x7 stock vw et, which is 38 or 42? i forget i have no spacers at all i dunno how much room, its all the same size a stock snowflake with 185/60 tires which are the stock size

· Registered
I have a thing for Mazdas
7,333 Posts

You should be good to go with some 25mm adapters. That would make them 16x7 et27, which shouldn't pose any problems (for reference, 15x7 ATS Cups are commonly et28) though you'll probably want to roll your fenders if you're going low. Or if you run a 20mm adapter you'll be at et32 which shouldn't pose any problems. I run 15x7 et35 and if anything I wouldn't mind having a little more clearance between the wheel and suspension. Tire choice is going to be more crucial for you than anything. 195/45/16 will get you within a few tenths of an inch of the stock rolling diameter.
BTW stock Castellettes are 14x6 et 38 - not 14x7.

Modified by retro_rocket at 5:51 PM 8-4-2008

· Registered
1,791 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Trev0rBr »
indeed and i appreciate it, they're 14x7 stock vw et, which is 38 or 42? i forget i have no spacers at all i dunno how much room, its all the same size a stock snowflake with 185/60 tires which are the stock size

That makes it easy if they are a seven et 38. Just get 15mm spacers/adapters and you will be golden. Ie the same as what you have.
But i doubt your current wheels are a seven.
Go for a bigger adaptor and bring them even farther out.

Modified by Hannebauer at 2:50 PM 8-4-2008

· Registered
1,791 Posts
Re: (retro_rocket)

Quote, originally posted by retro_rocket »
You should be good to go with some 25mm adapters. That would make them 16x7 et27, which shouldn't pose any problems (for reference, 15x7 ATS Cups are commonly et28) though you'll probably want to roll your fenders if you're going low. Or if you run a 20mm adapter you'll be at et32 which shouldn't pose any problems. I run 15x7 et35 and if anything I wouldn't mind having a little more clearance between the wheel and suspension. Tire choice is going to be more crucial for you than anything. 195/45/16 will get you within a few tenths of an inch of the stock rolling diameter.
BTW stock Castellettes are 14x6 et 38 - not 14x7.

What he said... lol

With no spacer your lip is in the same place and the extra inch of backspacing puts the inner on the stut.
That will give you an idea how far you want to bring it out.

· Registered
784 Posts
is there meat in the centres for a redrill to 4x100 then use spacers to take it off the inner wells? 4x100-5x112 is tight for adaptors but you can!! get steel adaptors(alloy hasnt got the metallurgical properties required for the proximity of the almost divergent hole(its tight basically)))but you may squeeze a redrill out a 5x115(probs 114.3 dude)or get custom steel adaptors out of your local machine shop. Give them the size of your mk1 hub and centre bore and the pcd and centre bore of the desired adaption(5x114.3 C.B.?)and they'll rattle you up a set of hub-centric steel adaptors,just depends on your budget and whether the wheels deserve it
are the wheels deserving of such treatment?you got pics?have you tried obtaining the wheels in 4x100?
at et 52 you will get away with up to 32mm adaptors but 25's are probably safer,depends on ride height and if your arches are already rolled
ps i run et20 8x15s on a decked A1,slight wheel whore and usually available for hints

Modified by dubbed_up_daz at 7:36 PM 8-4-2008

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.