VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just recently found the vortex...thank God! Kudos to all.
My question. I read a lot of bolt on this, bolt on that. So how much torque/HP can the lower end of a stock VR6 handle before meltdown. What is its weak link? I'm moving toward some mods but I want to be logical about it. Duhhh, gee george, my car ran great with the S/C until I spun every bearing on my crank!#@$.

Help.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Re: So, what can the VR6 handle? (Don't H8)

well, I dont know very much, but I do know that the supercharger kits out there for the most part will run fine and reliable without any bottom end work. It seems the new Vortech VF charger or whatever it is would be your best bet. If you want to go all motor you can do that too, but honestly its hard to get numbers out of this engine without a lot of money. Numbers arent always the fun stuff, My cars dead fun at like 180hp... but when I tell anyone that they think its a low HP rating, whatever though. It seems to me if your all about the numbers the 12v VR6 is the wrong engine, but if you dont care so much about the numbers but know how you want it to feel everything should be OK

·
Registered
19,612 Posts
Re: So, what can the VR6 handle? (B(C)orrado)

It isn't the wrong engine if your all about the numbers(granted you could get an american V8 for big numbers)...HPA makes a twin turbo kit for the 12V VR6 that is making close to 500 hp. (the 24V VR6 kit makes over 500hp)...
I think that is pretty impressive for a 2.8l Vr6...
It isn't cheap though....

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Re: So, what can the VR6 handle? (gizmopop)

I meant moneywise... a lot of peeps dont have that kind of moola. Any engine is the right engine with the money. I just LOVE saying I got less valves than most sport compacts, but can smoke most of them too

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Re: So, what can the VR6 handle? (Don't H8)

Crank, rods, and block usually go when its not thier fault. IE detonation from lean or to much timing, overrev by missed gears or whatever. I know crap happens, but if you can keep it to a minimum, you are less likely to break something. Obvious, yeah, a little. (It sounded better B4 typing it out)
But as far as top amt of power from stack internals? I would have to think around 500 is conservative, but not 100%. After tearing down a VR, the webbing of the block is great, and the crank is heavy as sh!te. Seemd really strong to me. And I have experience with a TON of different engines.

·
Banned
868 Posts
Re: So, what can the VR6 handle? (gin8122)

Well know one has really found the true limit yet cause most people end up blowing there motor due to poor tuning, like Gin said. Too lean/too much timing etc...
But based on what we have seen with our cars. Stock bottom end, with a low compression copper headgasket and o-ringed head.
Properly tuned fuel etc. 475ish whp. Currently 425whp is the most anyone has rung but none of the people who are running stock bottom ends, reason we are doin that is cause we can't afford internals, also means we can't afford standalone which is the only way you can properly tune it to actually find out what the most is can make is...
But i doubt you plan on doing anything that crazy any how.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts