VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 724 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend in the Mk2 Forum has mentioned this kind of thread and I figured why not try it in the diesel forum?
Screw the whole copy cat issue, I don't care... This is strictly for fun so no Mk1 & 2 Gassers whining about it..
I'll state the obvious...
Put 11 Gallons of fuel in it @ $5.29 http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Cut apart a TT exhaust system I had on my old GLI in preperation for fitment on my Coupe. The other day I replaced the harmonic balancer and serp. belt tensioner pulley. A few days after that I replaced the Ebay"rebuilt" alt. I bought last year w/a genuine Bosch reman'd alt 'cause the armature shaft was worn beneath the pulley side bearing. Once I finish rebuilding this Multiquip 25Kw genset in my garage I'll fit the exhaust to Dumpy (hopefully next week).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: So... What did you do on your Diesel Today???? (dieselwagen)

Quote, originally posted by dieselwagen »
made a ghetto ram-air setup out of cardboard
behind the pass. ..

I love cardboard mods! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Camero6989)

Quote, originally posted by Camero6989 »
Rotated my engine to TDC locked it there.... the proceeded to take apart a injector while still on the engine.... and lost the shim....

Did you ever find the shim???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: (Four_Footed_Beast)

I pulled a stupid move..... I forgot to remove the injector locking pin and tried starting the car! Lost my flywheel TDC mark, Luckily I marked TDC on my crank pulley, found TDC again,locked in the cam, and Injector.... and it started right up again. This was the first time the Rabbit has been started in almost 2 years. I replaced the old motor with a 1.6 Motor from an 85 Jetta. Sounds good so far....This has been a spring project, but thats what I did today.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did find the shim. Plugged up the injector hole, and sprayed the engine out with some high pressure water. Then ran a old speaker magnet across the ground. Lucky me I found it right away. Still doesn't run, though the POS jetta still does... (hmmm maybe I should start calling the one that doesn't run the POS...) anyway Today I bought my very own Bentley Manual. Replaced all my turn signal bulbs and one head light. Fixed my break issue (corroded fuse socket) and wired my jerry rigged alternator light to the fuse panel. The POS is almost back together. Just need to find a coolent temp relay.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (G60ING)

Fixed my ignition switch, Replaced the drivers wing window, rolled up the rear window(broken regulator), re keyed the hatch lock and removed my sunroof crank. Sunroofs been glued shut sense winter!!!
O, and drove it 200 miles round trip to the beach!!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Kevin

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Re: (Four_Footed_Beast)

My elbow/shoulder are finally getting back in shape to work on the car again after a boating related accident Fathers Day weekend. Thank you Lord.
Monday- removed dash bezel to re-install original radio properly (it was just kinda laying in the hole when I got car). Discovered it wasn't even necessary to remove the bezel because it just "clip fits" in the bezel hole and has a guide pin stud to hold it up in the rear.
At least I know how to remove the dash bezel and etc,,, if ever needed.

Then removed rain tray to clean and prep it for a repair. Removed hood insulator pad for some cleaning. Sprayed a can of degreaser in some areas of engine bay and the insulator pad.
Tuesday- masked and painted both quarter panels that I had previously stripped to metal and epoxy primered.
Wednesday- primed an area on the roof. Went and bought a big metric bolt and two matching nuts to use as tool to remove tranny drain plug and tranny fluid level inspection hole plug.
Checked a few more local places for a suitable air inlet hose - still no luck. But finding more last resort possibilities along the way.
By end of the weekend hope to paint roof, rebuild shifter relay linkage, weld/repair a spot on exhaust pipe in front of muffler, engine oil change and fresh tranny lube.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tried to make a puller for an injector pump sprocket. Then went out in the back allies and made a deal for more VW Diesel junk to haul home. The way I look at it a guy can never have enough VW diesel parts. I love/hate the little bastards.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Painted the roof on car.
Rebuilt the shifter relay linkage assemblies along with a new selector shaft boot. Turned out great -- and looks SO much better. That sh!t was a mess in that dark hole down there.
Popped in my new timing hole bung with new bung plug (lol), and new hood prop rod retainer clip. wooooooo its getting fancy now.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Re: (NoSurrenderAG)

Quote, originally posted by NoSurrenderAG »
325,000 on the original engine and I demand 150,000 more.

Keep it rolling Killer. Good luck on your inspection.
I got a late start today. HOT too.
Getting the muffler pipe joint to come loose/apart from the resonator pipe joint gave me a damn fit today !! Determination finally got the better of me - and the pipe. Broke it off just in front of muffler where I was gonna repair it. Then I got the pipe joint seperated/apart - finally.
Might be for the best since it changed my attack plan on the repair to a higher level. Just sucks that it broke - I'll have to put it all back on car to fit it up - tack it - then pull it back off and finish weld. But its gonna be a better repair.
I told a few people I thought this was the original exhaust system still intact. They said NO WAY with 330,000+ miles. That it must have been replaced by a VW dealership with Genuine parts.
Well I cleaned the muffler up with scotchbrite today and rinsed it off, lo and behold theres a date code on it. 04/89 - car was built 05/89.
DAMN ! This car is so original and well kept mechanically it blows me away. I'm expecting another 300,000 out of it going by how it is now. Doubt I'll live long enough to break a Million.
These little freight trains impress the heck out of me.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Re: (Baron VonZeppelin)

Got my 2003 Golf TDI 130 aboout two weeks ago.
Refueled it today and got in 28 liters (about 7 gallons at $8.95 per gallon) Had driven about 540 km on that fuel so I got an average of 5,3 litres/100 km or about 44-45 mpg...
Also have ordered some parts for it just to make it alittle more personal....
Here's what it looked like when I got it home...

1 - 20 of 724 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.