VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think ive more or less decided what i wanna do with my Jetta. think of it as a "STAGE 01" engine modification, possibly with more on the way someday. i wont quite reach my 110HP goal (until later)....but this is what im thinking of going with.
1.8L JH 8valve engine
2.25" TT exhaust
diesel dual downpipe and manifold
TT 268 Cam
Some kind of throttle body, Audi 4K? any other suggestions?
and i know, i know. thats what everyone has on their MK1, well its what i want too, to get me started....
anyone have any ideas on costs and power gains of the following?
01) port and polish
02) electronic ignition
03) lightened flywheel (how does this one affect the drive-ability of the car?)
and how much of a PITA is it to install a flywheel and the elec. ignition? thanks guys...any help would be great.
also, anyone know how close this would get me to putting out 110HP at the wheels?

· Registered
3,723 Posts
Re: so....what if i.... (themaestro007)

Sounds like some good mods http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I can tell you about the flywheel though. The lightweight flywheel will not add too much HP if any but it will allow the engine to rev more freely and make shifting and rev-matching a bit easier. You will have to take the transmission out then a few bolts and the flywheel will come off. Give yourself about 5 hours to do it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: so....what if i.... (Je2tta)

thanks for your help dude. yeah, i was just wondering about the whole wheel bound HP, if anyone has similar mods to these, let me know what your dyno told you. i want to know real #s based on a dyno, not just estimates....y'know?

· Registered
800 Posts

The Audi 4k or 5k (or any MK2 VW throttlebody) will be a good upgrade, especially coupled with the exhaust manifold.
the JH is a low-compression 1.8L motor so thats going to be your biggest bottleneck.
The simplest way to increase power is to increase displacement and/or compression ratio.
you can see gains of 10-12 hp but bumping the CR from 8.5:1 (stock JH) to 10:1 (stock just-about-everything-else)
if you swapped out the bottom end for an ABA block (2.0L 10:1) you'd hit your 110hp goal no problem. (but that would be too easy wouldn't it!
)
LOL!

· Registered
970 Posts

Higher compression can be attained by using a thinner head gasket, or shaving the head or block. Never done it, but i think taking .020" off will boost it pretty good. Definitely get that verified before rushing into it though.

· Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: so....what if i.... (RIPkevsGTI)

thanks for the info RIP. as a novice to this sort of thing, im glad to have vortex and all of your minds as a resource.
and yeah, ive got a little time, a friend and i are swapping engines in early March, so for now, im trying to get ALL the info i can before the swap, so i can have time to gather parts and $$$.
so ive got about 2 months. *sigh*

· Registered
235 Posts
anticipation makes the thing that u're waiting for that much more beautiful...... I know how u feel.
U can never go wrong with what's on ur list.....and if that fails.....then 2.0l that thing.....and if that fails......turbo that thing.....and if that fails.....lysholm (supercharger) that thing......and if that fails 16v that thing.......and if that fails......vr6 that thing......and if that fails.......1.8t that thing......and if that fails......
Man I tell u......we VW guys have sooooo many options. I love it.

· Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (92VdubSLC)

Quote, originally posted by 92VdubSLC »
the proper way to bump the comp ratio in your JH is to swap out the pistons for a set from an 85-92 golf/jetta 8V motor. they have less dish in the piston thus bumping the comp ratio.

so the pistons would go right in? and there wouldnt be any other parts that needed swapped? or does that "piston swap" become an involved process?

· Registered
418 Posts
I swapped in the higher comp pistons last year in my GTI. The pistons came out of a 90 Jetta. Simple swap. I took the opportunity to replace bearings and seals even thought the engine only had 140,000kms.
I have no idea of the hp numbers but I did notice a pretty good difference. I am running a G grind cam, eurosport 4-2-1 header and a weber TB with a 2H box. Great for street light racing crappy for highway cruising!
newfoundgti

· Registered
970 Posts
Re: (newfoundgti)

Yeah, never thought about swapping pistons. Seems like a better idea, but maybe a little more difficult, especially for a home-project. I definitely wouldn't trust myself taking rods/pistons apart.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.