VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are heated debates on the new rabbit/jetta 2.5 inline 5, so I am just curious to hear from the masses. Who here thinks that the engine is detuned via ecu, or through other methods, ie cams, intake, exhaust.
From what I have heard that this is a strong engine, but others say no... we need to get to the bottom of this.

· Registered
20,901 Posts
Re: So who here thinks that the 2.5 inline 5 is detuned??? (konafoci)

honestly, i believe not too many people know alot about this engine, myself included. we will not get to the bottom of this, unless someone (or many people) mod their 2.5s.
if this engine was detuned, i DO believe they put a bottleneck on it by through the intake, exhaust, ECU, AND cams. i think it can easily create 170whp and 180w lb-ft.
the only way to get to the bottom of this is to just mod the 2.5.
create an OEM-like intake, like the one found in MKIVs and the New(er) Beetle.
install a freer flowing exhaust system, but nothing that screams "im modded people!!! hear me ROAR!!" but it MUST have a cat, because the object is to be OEM-like (OEM+ maybe?) for the intake/exhaust.
remap the ECU, raise the redline higher ONLY if its safe to do so, and if its safe to run at those speeds for longer-than-usual amount of time.
design cams that are made for slightly better performance (both down-low and up-high)
if only i had the resources http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif someone better try this

· Registered
2,168 Posts
Re: So who here thinks that the 2.5 inline 5 is detuned??? (konafoci)

I guess it all depends on what you mean by "detuned". This engine was produced specifically to make low RPM torque...not HP (which requires more RPM). That means that it's "tuned" to the lower end of the RPM band (more restrictive intake/exhaust and cams). I'll guarantee there's 180+HP in this engine with the proper tuning, but you'll lose some of the low RPM pull that it was "tuned" for in the proccess.

· Registered
644 Posts
Re: So who here thinks that the 2.5 inline 5 is detuned??? (exteg)

You can tell with a manual car. Well I can tell, When you try and exceed a high speed, the car is slugish like it wants to put more power out but just holds itself back, Like personally when in the drivers seat and actually having the feel of the car during that time you can feel it. With automatic obviously its different but with a manual I know I can feel it. Somewhere is that hidden extra HP from what im hearing and It needs to be let out.
Its time we really feel this 5 Inline.

· Registered
2,655 Posts
Re: So who here thinks that the 2.5 inline 5 is detuned??? (omni1)

Quote, originally posted by omni1 »

With the Unitronic chip and the VWPartsMTL CAI, things will only get better.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
533 Posts
Re: So who here thinks that the 2.5 inline 5 is detuned??? (omni1)

maybe we can toss some chicken entrails on the ground and do a horsepower dance to let those horsepowers free

Quote, originally posted by omni1 »
You can tell with a manual car. Well I can tell, When you try and exceed a high speed, the car is slugish like it wants to put more power out but just holds itself back, Like personally when in the drivers seat and actually having the feel of the car during that time you can feel it. With automatic obviously its different but with a manual I know I can feel it. Somewhere is that hidden extra HP from what im hearing and It needs to be let out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.