VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suppose your given 6k well in my case thats actually the budget im willing to set on my jetta. What mods would you recommend? (going for a good combination of performance and reliablity) Im thinking of doing a K04 (the 225hp TT) turbo mod

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Re: So you have 6k and a stock 1.8t (koss2010)

If I had $6k I'd be looking at something bigger. I'm guessing you want 'more power'... how much more power? Depending on how much power you want depends on what to do with that 6 G's.

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
Re: So you have 6k and a stock 1.8t (Nightrider)

If I had 6grand and a stock 1.8t, I'd put the 6g's in savings so I have something to fall back on everytime something broke on the 1.8t.

In all seriousness hold on to the cash. You can spend 6 grand on the car to make it faster, but to do it right, you would need more.
If you want speed, use the 6 grand to buy a bike.

Modified by T-Boy at 6:55 PM 1-8-2009

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
FV-QR

Eff what these guys are saying!
Chip, exhaust, FMIC, suspension and mounts and save the rest.
That'd be one bad car.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Re: So you have 6k and a stock 1.8t (koss2010)

If i had to do it all over again, I'd just get a chip, with the rest get a bike
check my sig for my current situation

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
FV-QR

Get one of those twizzler dispensers like in Wayne's World too.
Couldn't be more than $40.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: So you have 6k and a stock 1.8t (Nightrider)

Quote, originally posted by Nightrider »
If I had $6k I'd be looking at something bigger. I'm guessing you want 'more power'... how much more power? Depending on how much power you want depends on what to do with that 6 G's.

Well im tired of stock and its ****ty 150hp. i want somewhere around 225 hp with a decent fuel mileage. How does rebuilding the engine sound? any info on that?
Also to the comments about the mk4's being unreliable mines is at 125k and drives amazing hasnt given me too much to complain about.Although working on the car is a bitch.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
If you really want to do it, here's how I'd do it, if I were to do it all over again.
$2,000 - clutch, flywheel, LSD, installed
$3,000 - CTS 50 trim kit with fueling, intercooler
$1,000 - Koni Yellows with Ground Control Coilover sleeves, 450 lb/in front and 400 lb/in rear.
Take another $100 out of your next available pay check and do Hawk HPS pads, and ATE Super Blue fluid.
Go have a blast.
I wouldn't go the chip/bolt on route if I were to do this all over again. I can't go BT yet b/c of autox classing, but if it were just a driver, i'd go BT.

Modified by DIAF at 4:36 PM 1-8-2009

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Re: (DIAF)

Quote, originally posted by DIAF »

$1,000 - Koni Yellows with Ground Control Coilover sleeves, 450 lb/in front and 400 lb/in rear.

I'll second that... it would have actually saved me money had I gone this route initially.

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
Re: (Nightrider)

keep the 1.8t stock for a DD, buy a fox body 5.0 mustang, and throw a 125shot at it.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Re: (PanCubano)

6 g's buy a used 1.8t quattro A4 and sell the jetta for parts money.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PanCubano »
6g's on a 1.8t goes no where. Trade it in and get something else.

I listed a way to spend $6k and have 300+ whp, handle well, and put the power to the ground.
I would say that goes somewhere.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PanCubano »
6g's on a 1.8t goes no where.

What?
6gs and you can just about double your torque and increase HP by like 50%, and still have thousands left over if you're content.

Modified by Buschwick at 10:34 AM 1-9-2009

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: (DIAF)

Quote, originally posted by DIAF »

Go have a blast.
Modified by DIAF at 4:36 PM 1-8-2009

If you really wanted to spend the 6g's on your car this is the way to do it. Also check out PagParts vbanded kits. 300whp with a good suspension and a solid drivetrain is a god way to spend 6g's
Or you can go with ImTheNacho's route. Im actually debating whether I want to BT my '03 GTI 1.8T or sell her for around 10gs if possible and buy a 99.5 or 2000 Audi A4 1.8T quattro for around 5-6gs and use the other half to BT the A4....LoL
Still debating while I save up some chippers.
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Re: (Buschwick)

Quote, originally posted by Buschwick »

What?
6gs and you can just about double your torque and increase HP by like 50%, and still have thousands left over if you're content.

+90hp. your driving a way cooler car not some car that blue books for 7,000. go for the r.

Modified by Buschwick at 10:34 AM 1-9-2009

1 - 20 of 46 Posts