VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
10,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in no way responsible if your wheels don't fit after reading this - had to get that out of the way.
This is a quick and dirty version on how to fit wheels on a MKIV. There are so many variables when it comes to wheel widths/offsets and tire selection that I could write a book. This is just a quick guide that most people should be able to handle.
The question always goes....will this wheel fit on my car? You need to know two things. What width/offset combination sits the wheel flush w/ the fender? And what is the difference between the front and rear track?
8.5et30 sits the wheel flush w/ the fender up front
The rear track is 10mm narrower than the front.

And the Holy Grail: http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
Just plug the numbers I gave you and compare to the specs of the wheel that you're fitting. Quick and dirty but it works.
As a little more info. When you get into custom wheel 8.5et30 might not be flush. Numbers shouldn't lie but they do. There are differences in lips and barrels that result in wheel sitting slightly differently. As an example. I have a set of Forgelines at 8.5et25 that sit flush. It's 5mm but that can make or break the tire selection.
Why is there a difference in the rear track? My numbers might not be exact(since I know someone will say so). The rear beam is 8mm narrower and each fender is about 1mm wider. You can use 8mm as the difference but 10 is a nice round number. 2mm really shouldn't make or break the fitment.
This is more for tire selection but I'll put it here. Why should I roll my fenders and how come people say you can't do it in the rear? When you push your wheels flush w/ the fender you run the risk of hitting the lip on the underside of the fender. This lip is only present in the front. There is nothing to roll in the rear so you don't have to worry. You can rent rollers for very little money. And most shops don't charge much to do it. When you push the wheels out I suggest you roll the fronts. It's an ounce of prevention that can save you some serious rubbing issues.
I think that's enough for now. Coming Soon....My guide to tire fitment. The quick and dirty version....Run properly sized tires

·
Registered
10,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: So you have a question about MKIV offsets??? (JettaGT8V80)

Since adapter threads come up all the time as well.
So the wheels I want are a different bolt pattern, will they fit? This is just a general rule of thumb and it will depend on the width of the wheel. The initial offset needs to be at least 40. If it's a narrow wheel you might be able to get away w/ a lower offset. If the wheel is wide, the higher the offset the better.
So I know the offset before adapters but I don't know what it will be after? You take the initial offset and SUBTRACT the adapter thickness from it. A wheel that is et40 will be et20 after a 20mm adapter.
Certain companies do make adapters less than 20mm but I would not recommend it. Considering it's the only thing keeping your wheels bolted to your car you want them to be as strong as possible. I'm sure if H&R though it was safe to run a 15mm adapter they would be selling them. I can write a lot more about adapters but this is just the quick version. Maybe I'll get around to writing up a big guide that encompasses everything w/ fitting a wheel & tire selection.

Modified by dragon813gt at 8:37 PM 7-2-2007

·
Registered
464 Posts
Re: So you have a question about MKIV offsets??? (dragon813gt)

f'in awesome! this will definitely help most wheel offset/adaptor n00bs . great work and thank you for doing this steve

·
Registered
28,542 Posts

good stuff homie.. now riddle me this..
i want to run a 9 inch front wheel. same as before. but with a bigger dish and a smaller barrel.. i would like to keep the Brembos, if possible, and still have room to keep the inner barrel off the airbag.. now my question is.. if train A is traveling at a rate of 55mph from New York to San Francisco and train B is traveling From San Francisco to New York at a rate of 35mph, in which state will the two trains cross paths?

·
Registered
10,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: So you have a question about MKIV offsets??? (CAPiTA)

I'm thining they'll collide in Canada

As far as your wheel question. I've been drinking and that's to much math. Simple solution, leave the barrles, get bigger lips and pull the fenders more

·
Registered
10,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Post info in the MKIV Forum = the thread dies quickly
Post some bad pics of a stock ca(that's owned by a girl) = 30 page thread

Maybe a pic will help

·
Registered
7,344 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dragon813gt »
Post info in the MKIV Forum = the thread dies quickly
Post some bad pics of a stock ca(that's owned by a girl) = 30 page thread

Maybe a pic will help

That always helps! Awesome post man! I am really tired of explaining this crap to people! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by skatingzooyork at 5:02 PM 7-3-2007

·
Registered
10,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: So you have a question about MKIV offsets??? (Clean PG)

I posted the wrong damn pic

I actually have useful one but hostdub......I'm tired of beating that dead horse.

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
Re: So you have a question about MKIV offsets??? (Clean PG)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif much needed info, now use it people!

·
Registered
3,370 Posts

I actually have useful one but hostdub......I'm tired of beating that dead horse.

Oh you mean it's still down? Lol. You've seriously said that a million times.
Thanks for posting this up right after I get my wheels.
Just joking, but seriously this will be very helpful for people. Well done.

·
Registered
10,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: So you have a question about MKIV offsets??? (friedguy)

Quote, originally posted by friedguy »

Oh you mean it's still down? Lol. You've seriously said that a million times.

I know I have. It's a pay service. It's not like it's free. They lost a good portion of the pics I had there and I still can't log in. I know I'm not the only one that's pissed at this. I'll upload the pic to photobucket when I set up an account in a little bit. It's been two months and hostdub still isn't working

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Re: So you have a question about MKIV offsets??? (friedguy)

Good info. Maybe it will eliminate so many of the "will these 18x10 wheels with an off set of 4 fit before 20mm adapters?"

·
Registered
3,370 Posts

I know I have. It's a pay service. It's not like it's free. They lost a good portion of the pics I had there and I still can't log in. I know I'm not the only one that's pissed at this. I'll upload the pic to photobucket when I set up an account in a little bit. It's been two months and hostdub still isn't working

I don't blame you -- I'd be pissed too.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

I thought I started learning something then all of a sudden.....
NIPPLES!!!!!
thats all I can remember after reading this whole thread.

·
Registered
10,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: So you have a question about MKIV offsets??? :)staygold:)

Got some pics hosted. I hate to move everything over but I think I'm going to. So here is why offset is so important when it comes to fitting a wheel.
This is 8.5et30(I didn't mount the 5mm spacer for brake clearance yet) and 9.5et25. I did my best to edit the pic so you could see the rear. The original pic is horrible and it took a lot to get it to this point.

And some shots of the rear

For those wondering

The offsets allowed me to run properly sized tires. I thin I'll take down my favorite pic evar from cleaned.be so this doesn't run off topic

Modified by dragon813gt at 6:00 PM 7-3-2007

1 - 20 of 52 Posts