VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of us 04.5-05 GLI 1.8T owners have noticed, our cars come with some really above-decent wheels and tires.... Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 is standard... One thing that I did not consider, and I'm sure many others overlooked, is that eventually we will have to replace these tires. We also hardly ever think pre-purchase that unless we are ready to accept a sometimes hefty downgrade in performance, ride, and handling, we are looking to spend a lot of money (somewhere in the area of $1000 for all 4 tires).
These tires come standard on the million or so 1.8T GLIs (extreme exageration.. but it sure feels like it, doesn't it...) and the 5000, if I recall correctly, Golf R32. After reading countless threads in the R32 forum about tire bubbles in the F1s, I was wondering how Volkswagen of America (VWoA) was dealing with the obvious defect with a product that VW has decided to put on their car standard. The answer.... nothing. There is absolutely no warranty option within the VW system to remedy this problem. This, needless to say, worried me.
I drove around a couple of months not really thinking about it until WHAM.... hit a pothole (oops). The 1/4 mile or so drive for me to look for an opportune place to pull over and inspect what I assumed was going to be a large golf-ball looking peice sticking off of the side of my tire was the second longest 1/4 mile of my life (longest was in my buddies built Civic haha).... But I got lucky, no tire damage. This event caused me to really think about what options I would have if something bad were to happen to my tires because I as a college student would be left high and dry should I have to replace a tire or two due to a tire bubble.
I decided to contact the tire shop closest to me (which I also happen to trust), Discount Tire, and asked them what I could do to not only protect myself from getting a bubble, but also to protect my wallet should something happen. He told me about somethign that I wish most people knew about (which is why I am doing this write-up)... I could buy a road-hazard warranty for my tires EVENTHOUGH they were not new and also were not purchased through the store...
The Roadhazard warranty is an all-inclusive, non-prorated, warranty for the life of the tire. In non-business talk that means that if anything happens to your tire other than regular wear and tear, they will replace it for free... even if it is your fault. Just to make sure, I asked what every logical person would ask... "What if I run over a spike strip during a high-speed chase" and the gentelman answered with a completely straight face "Eventhough your tires wouldn't be anywhere close to your biggest concern, we will change it for free". Bubbles, rips, tears... anything. The warranty cost me a total of $94 dollars to cover all 4 tires and since its purchase, has replaced two bubbles (one major and one very minor... but still replaced for free).... Total cost of warranty: $94 initial and $20x2 (to re-buy the warranty for the new tires)=$134. Cost of 2 brand new Goodyear Eagle F1s... somewhere in the area of $500.
GET THE TIRE CERTIFICATIONS basically is what I am saying. Not only is it nice to have a peice of mind, but don't you insure most other things (especially when you have previous knowledge that you will more than likely have a problem with the product in the future).

Brandon

· Registered
893 Posts
Re: SoCalDubbers.com Write Up: Protecting Your Wallet.... Roadhazard Warranty (SoCalDubber)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I have a discount tire where nearby and even though the tires are a bit more ($10 or so per tire) the road hazard is why I am getting it from them.

· Registered
7,713 Posts
Re: SoCalDubbers.com Write Up: Protecting Your Wallet.... Roadhazard Warranty (SoCalDubber)

IIRC VW does not warranty the tires cause Goodyear does...also from a financial planning point of view, spending $100 on $1000 worth of insurance is a waste of money

Modified by SuckerPunch at 5:27 PM 4-11-2005

· Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: SoCalDubbers.com Write Up: Protecting Your Wallet.... Roadhazard Warranty (SuckerPunch)

Quote, originally posted by SuckerPunch »
IIRC VW does not warranty the tires cause Goodyear does...

But Goodyear has a weird-prorated thing which will not cover against road-hazards (such as getting a screw in the tire)

· Registered
419 Posts

Great post, and to add to that, I thought I would share my buying experience.
When I went to take delievery of my GLI, I was lucky (I guess?) to get it at invoice. But I knew beyond that there would be a million purchase options...some of which as I grow older I have learned are really very worthwhile. As a 25 year old, not far out of college, I have learned that often payments make possible what you cannot pay for in lumpsum. Which is one reason why my 72 Westfalia Bus is still sitting.
Well I went over all these with the credit guy. Here is the math:
My GLI at invoice was $23,135 after TT&L, and options, my total was $28,7ish. Now you can figure a bit more than 2K is TT&L. That leaves me around $3400 in options. And you say, what did I get for that?
Let me tell you:
GAP insurance - for anything really bad that happens to me and the car, I won't be upside down
Extended warranty - mechanical coverage like the original (EVERYTHING besides wear parts) to 100K miles, plus roadside, free towing, etc.
Service Package - free service vouchers every 5000K miles for the first 48 months
Road Hazard - Exactly what you describe above. I am not sure of all the limitations (I don't have my paperwork with me at the moment) but I am pretty sure it is similar in coverage. Anyone else have it?
So, at least for me, I am pretty happy with adding that money to my note due to the piece of mind I have (assuming there are no looming conditions) I did the same thing with my harley a few years ago, I figure as long as I am paking payments, I might as well not pay for anything else, right?
That being said....can we replace tires under our 12K wear and tear warranty?

· Registered
847 Posts

I made the dealer do this for me. In fact, under the type of tire, he left the description blank so that I'm covered no matter what tires I have on them.

· Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: SoCalDubbers.com Write Up: Protecting Your Wallet.... Roadhazard Warranty (rabbitGTIgirl)

Quote, originally posted by rabbitGTIgirl »
I made the dealer do this for me. In fact, under the type of tire, he left the description blank so that I'm covered no matter what tires I have on them.

Sweet http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
115 Posts
Yeah, I got the roadhazard plan when I bought the car and used it within the first month. A nail decided to find its way into one of my tires. The only bad thing: I had to cover the cost of repair....and the insurance later wrote me a check which came in the mail a month later.

· Registered
777 Posts
Re: (volkan_04GLI)

man i wish i would have known about this when i bought my car
my passenger side rear tire has a small/medium size bubble in it right now. sooooo im going to go to discount tire tonight and talk to them about this! oh well, the dealership extended my warranty to cover the term of my loan since its along ****er

· Registered
2,588 Posts
Re: (pbnerd)

SoCalDubber, good write up. When I finallizing the paper work for my GLI the finance mgr poined out an out of lease/road hazard contract. I am gratefull and so is my wallet that I got it. I've blown 2 ties so far ($400) and will probably pop alot more during the next 4 years. Best investment for my car. And it was only an extra $7 a month for it.

· Registered
8,224 Posts

this is interesting, http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
thanks for pointing that out......

now i gotta tell my homie about this.....he just got two fat bubbles in his F1's.....cheap a$$ tires.

· Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: SoCalDubbers.com Write Up: Protecting Your Wallet.... Roadhazard Warranty (mozcar78)

Quote, originally posted by mozcar78 »
cheap a$$ tires.

They're not.... and that's the problem
If you don't have it, go get it.... You can still purchase it for your tires even if you have noticable wear.... It's def. worth it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.