VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I would start this thread. I've been on Vortex for quite a long time. Put together couple different European cars. I'm the founder of SoCalEuro.com and founder of the annual Big SoCal Euro Gathering

Here's some background of couple previous cars. I've had 2000 Jetta 1.8t, 1999 GTI VR6, 2002 Audi A4 Avant, 1994 Volvo 850 Turbowagon, 1986 Volvo 760Turbo, 1979 VW Rabbit, 2000 BMW M5.

E39 M5 went through couple facelifts

2002 Audi A4 Avant featured cover of both European Car and Eurotuner

So here is the new projekt. 2013 Volkswagen Jetta GLI with Autobahn/Nav/HID/LED

Installed:
HRE Wheels - FlowForm FF01 19x8.5 ET47
Toyo Proxes T1 Sport - 225/35/19
SDTint.com - CTX Film 50% darkness all windows including windshield
SDTint.com - Gloss Black vinyl roof
ST Suspension - Coilovers MK6 GLI Part number 90873
GIAC - ECU Stage 1 upgrade
GIAC - DSG Stage 3 upgrade
Hotchkis Suspension - Front/Rear swaybars
Magnaflow Exhaust - Part number 15158

Future mods:
Downpipe
Maybe K04 or Stage3 turbo?
... and more

Special Thanks:
SDTint.com
Pure Motorsport
GIACusa.com
ST Suspension
Mossy Volkswagen

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the exact same car! Just picked it up last week. Where in SD are you? Where are you getting your work done? Have been looking around for a good shop.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Mad props man. This thread seems like it will be promising. That's one sick M5. And I've seen the B6 before on Audizine. Looks awesome man! Props on the forum, too. Great stuff man. good luck! :popcorn::beer:

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the exact same car! Just picked it up last week. Where in SD are you? Where are you getting your work done? Have been looking around for a good shop.
It's at SD Tint for tint and vinyl work. I work with a lot of local San Diego shops. What did you need?

Mad props man. This thread seems like it will be promising. That's one sick M5. And I've seen the B6 before on Audizine. Looks awesome man! Props on the forum, too. Great stuff man. good luck! :popcorn::beer:
Thanks man! I'm subscribed to your thread :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was looking for a shop to install some springs (DG springs for the MK6 GTI). Im also looking for a good place to get my tint and maybe install an auto-dimming mirror and sound deadening material.

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installed:
SDTint.com - CTX Film 50% darkness - All windows including windshield
SDTint.com - Gloss Black vinyl roof
ST Suspension - Coilovers MK6 GLI Part# 90873
GIAC - Stage 1 ECU software
GIAC - Stage 3 DSG software

Pictures:

BEFORE

INSTALL @ Pure Motorsports

ST Suspension coilovers

AFTER

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Reviews:

I refer all of my SoCalEuro members to SDTint.com for vinyl and tint. I wanted something light but reflective from heat. They recommend CTX Film at 50%. Which is perfect for my taste. Their installation is always perfect. I've used them on my 2006 S4 Avant, 2000 BMW M5, 2009 GTI and now the Projekt GLI. I also had them wrap my roof in Gloss Black vinyl to finish off that exterior.

I got the GIAC ECU software and DSG software upgrade about 2 weeks ago. Wanted to get some miles on the car to get some seat time to write this up. First off, the DSG software is a must for anyone with a DSG GLI. The shifting and shifting dynamics are night & day. Garrett from GIAC explained to me how simplistic VW made the DSG software that it almost acts like an automatic. This was by far the largest improvement I felt. The shift points are more intelligent and shift speeds are quicker. The car is much more pleasant to drive now. The ECU upgrade of course is typical of most ECU upgrades. It's a must have to unlock the power of the 2.0T TSI motor. I would like to get the car up on the dyno to give you some numbers. The drive-ability in low RPM is wonderful. Being that I'm older than some of the typical Vortex'rs nowadays I can tell you, the car is even better feeling as a daily driver than in stock form. My MPG has stayed equal or if not improved from OE. I have had a mix of different chip companies from Autotech, APR, GIAC on previous vehicles.

The ST Suspension is amazing! I dropped by Pure Motorsport of San Diego to get the coilovers installed. They are the go to guys from VW/Audi in San Diego. For the price point of around $900 retail you get a full coilover backed by KW Suspension. The build quality is excellent. The ride quality is on par with OE. It takes on bumps without issues. I am not going for a slammed look, but rather wanted a sport stance. The ST Suspension gives me everything I am looking for for a street performance setup. The car is much more nibble and stable around on ramps and turns. Once I get more seat time, I will update.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Love LOVE the way the car sits on these coils. Really been debating doing it. This confirmed how good I thought it would look. To achieve this look, were they installed as is from the box to the car? Or what did they adjust it to look this way. Glad the ride doesn't suffer.

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love LOVE the way the car sits on these coils. Really been debating doing it. This confirmed how good I thought it would look. To achieve this look, were they installed as is from the box to the car? Or what did they adjust it to look this way. Glad the ride doesn't suffer.
The default setting from ST is very high. I set it down about half way on the coils. The ride quality is perfect. I recommend the ST setup for anyone. The price is pretty good, I think $899 retail.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Nice review. Glad to see more GLI's going with GIAC, and a fellow Californian at that. :thumbup::D

I'm still debating about the DSG flash as i'm concerned about my MPG's dropping since I've read that shift points are higher even in regular D mode. However, you're saying your MPG hasn't been affected at all. Was your DSG flash based on your review of it driving in D, manual, or Sport mode? Also, how did you decide on a stage 3 flash versus 1 or 2?

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice review. Glad to see more GLI's going with GIAC, and a fellow Californian at that. :thumbup::D

I'm still debating about the DSG flash as i'm concerned about my MPG's dropping since I've read that shift points are higher even in regular D mode. However, you're saying your MPG hasn't been affected at all. Was your DSG flash based on your review of it driving in D, manual, or Sport mode? Also, how did you decide on a stage 3 flash versus 1 or 2?
I drive 98% of the time in D. I would assume city driving might have been effect a little, but I would say 60-75% of my driving is highway. But I can say that my average MPG is pretty much identical to what it was before. Everyone's driving conditions and behavior is different but for me it is identical to my previous averages. Keep in mind, I don't speed around. But I do like to go with speed of traffic. If you see my list of vehicles in signature, I've had my share of fast cars. GLI isn't meant to win races :)

As for the Stage 3, I really didn't ask the differences. But I would say the DSG program is my favorite part of the upgrade. I feel like my GLI got lighter. The shifting is so much more dynamic and intelligent. If I keep my foot conservative, it shifts close to 2K RPM, but if I drive more brisk it'll hold til around 2500-2700 rpm. And if I'm being very spirited (even in D) it knows. Haven't really had a need to put it in S lately.

I highly recommend the DSG flash. It's a huge different in the feel of the car.

·
Registered
682 Posts
...I would say 60-75% of my driving is highway.
Is this percentage based on time or mileage? Meaning, do you drive 75% of the time on highway, or 75% of the miles you drive is highway?

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I think I'm the first GLI with DSG software :)

Might want to check with your local GIAC or GIAC direct.

·
Registered
653 Posts
nice review on parts installed :thumbup::thumbup:, thanks for correct part number on st coils. now i feel safe to buy these. thanks :beer::beer: any chance you have actual pics of front coils installed ?

·
Registered
8,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice review on parts installed :thumbup::thumbup:, thanks for correct part number on st coils. now i feel safe to buy these. thanks :beer::beer: any chance you have actual pics of front coils installed ?
Will this picture suffice?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fixed vs Adjustable Dampening

Hey all,
Thanks for a good thread. Really appreciate the info thus far. Wanted to get some advice on my set-up.

2012 GLI
Stage 2 APR software
APR Carbonio Air intake
BnB downpipe

Looking to get coilovers. Saw the review on ST and found it so helpful. Was looking at whether I should go with another brand and get adjustable dampening. All I want is a more aggressive stance and improved handling. maybe an inch drop or so. Saw FK automotive has a coilover with dampening for right around 1100. Just curious what you guys thought...or is there a brand I haven't looked into yet.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts