VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2020 MK 7.5 White
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had a windshield scratch so easily. The windshield is "worn" where the wipers run across it. It is so bad I am thinking about replacing it. What's the deal with German glass? Anyone else see this as an issue? Thx. JHB.

· Registered
2 Posts
I've had the exact same problem with my BMW. BMW told me that when the windshield gets pitted, and it will, polish it BY HAND with BON AMI cleanser and water. BON AMI is very fine grit cleaner almost a pumice. It works well on the BMW glass I have not needed to try it on the VW however I would try it before I spent the $$$.$$ for a new one.

· Registered
10 Posts
i've noticed this glass wear on my passat as well.
the windshield has also been cracked for about a year (rock from the road -> smack!). i suspect the crack has more to do with my tailing semis than it does the weak glass

· Registered
3,386 Posts
Re: (horatio)

Glass is not soft so much as sensitive. Hasn't rained for a week ? Haven't used your wipers ? Well road grime,tar,oil,etc build up. Park under/near any trees ? Well pollen and other kinds of spores & buds can build on the wiper edge and sit there like a lip of sand. Turn them on that way enough times and the pollen/spores,etc acts like that Bon Ami and slowly created wear in the glass. The road grime acts like a glue and bonds those spores,etc to the blade. Go out to your car right now. Take a paper towel and spray some Windex on it and rub the edge of the blade. That "black" that you see isn't simply bleeding from the blade. It's the grime & dirt. Actually, run your fingers down the blades edge before the Windex. You'll feel what I mean.

· Registered
1,488 Posts
Re: (92ragtop)

Quote, originally posted by 92ragtop »
I've had the exact same problem with my BMW. BMW told me that when the windshield gets pitted, and it will, polish it BY HAND with BON AMI cleanser and water. BON AMI is very fine grit cleaner almost a pumice. It works well on the BMW glass I have not needed to try it on the VW however I would try it before I spent the $$$.$$ for a new one.

Bon Ami works great. For years my mom used it on the glass shower doors. Polishing them also kept them clean longer. But, don't use the Bon Ami on the windshield unless you've practiced with it on a piece of junk glass in your garage. You need to make a paste with it on a very wet sponge and have clean water nearby for rinsing thoroughly.
Best is to hose it off the glass, (and your paint).

· Registered
275 Posts
Re: Soft German Glass? (jhbjr)

Minor scratches can be polished out of glass. I recently ran across a glass polishing kit from some auto supply vendor on line. I was searching for water spot removal info. Can't remember the site, though. I'd much rather restore my old glass than replace it and risk leaks.

· Registered
3,386 Posts
Re: Soft German Glass? (WMD)

Most good glass shops would do it for you. Leave it to a pro.

· Registered
2020 MK 7.5 White
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Soft German Glass? (VWGUY4EVER)

At least I am not alone. One accidental bump of the wiper switch on a dry day and and the windshield is a mess. The Bon Ami idea makes sense but scares the beejebbers out of me. I am sure I would make a lovely mess of it. Next stop glass shop. Do you think the replacement glass is a VW part (ie. many $$$)? Alas....

· Registered
525 Posts
Re: Soft German Glass? (jhbjr)

A friend of mine who owns a glass shop says that the PPG or Pilkington replacement glass is better than the OEM VW one. I took a golfball sized rock last week so got a replacement Pilkington with built in mounting bracket for rain sensor.
It looks IDENTICAL to the VW one but without the distortion over on the passenger side. He swears this glass will hold up better than the OEM.
He also says that VW is one of the ONLY vendors that makes windshields with specs that allows replacements to be identical to OEM. Their specs require moldings to be part of the windshield. Most other cars--BMW even--dont' do it that way. He says this really insures a perfect install and less problems. He wishes everyone did it as well as VW.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.