VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 91 gti with a sohc 8v 1.8 liter engine. I've done lots of head work and would still like more power. Can I swap my 1.8 head onto a two liter block. I've heard they bolt right on but I would love a parts list and talk to a person who has actually done this.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: sohc 1.8 head on a 2.0 block, anybody done this? (ghostrider)

but when I race the 2.0 cars like the mk3 they are slow. is that from the weight only or is there engine weak. I've heard that you can't rev those engines as hard either. Plus I've already built my head with the cam, springs, porting. shaving. cam gear, and don't want to loose it.

· Registered
7,285 Posts
Re: (brandon002)

Quote, originally posted by brandon002 »
From what I have heard the 1.8 head on the 2.0 block is much more fun then a full 2.0 setup. I know that everything is pretty much a bolt on, the only thing that needs modifying is the distributor.

maybe more fun but its still slower

· Registered
5,728 Posts
Re: (ghostrider)

Did mine a year ago this month, go to the techtonics site and click on engine swaps, it'll tell you most of the parts that you need. My old 1.8 had almost 300,000 miles on it so I went kind of nuts on mine, new techtonics head, Kent 266 cam, steering rack was leaking so I threw in a new rack and of course my 2nd and 3rd gear synchros were going to so I got a Kraftwerks 9A with a tall 5th gear. Bought the car new in '86 so I thought she deserved it for her 16th and I should be good to go for 16 more. Oh, European Car did a pretty good 2 part article on this in May-June 2000 and they still have those issues in stock if you want to read up on it.

· Banned
1,371 Posts
Re: (ghostrider)

I would doubt that it would be slower, seeing as a stock 91 1.8L would take a 2.0L crossflow off the line easily. Unless you meant slower than a X-Flow in an A2... in which case you're right. But with his head mods, he'd take a X-Flow A2 setup no problem should he follow through with the hybrid swap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.