VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

EDIT: THE VEHICLE IS SOLD

VIN: WVWRF7AJ1CW291115

Over $20k worth of upgrades made to it, and would cost twice what I’m asking to accomplish piecemeal.

Happy to discuss its history and features in detail and go for test drives. I have all of its upgrades in a binder from the two previous owners, one of which is a good friend of mine who I bought it from.

We do have a lien on the car, with experience selling a few other cars with liens, so don’t be turned away by that fact.

Most recently, I have:
Replace shifter cables per dealership’s recommendation
replaced the Garrett turbo, as it was burning a bit of oil
reinstalled new windshield wipers, front/rear
Replaced tires and brake pads
Had a second key made

Bought this car in early 2018 from a buddy with the intent to make it my next supercar-slaying track beast (I drive/instruct for NASA AZ) but I had some life events and a divorce hit which have pumped the brakes on spending for that hobby for a while, and this car won't see any action from me, which is a travesty.

I knew this car for a couple of years before buying it and when my buddy finally listed it for sale I couldn't resist. I've watched this beast pull on 911 Turbos, Nissan GTRs, and even hold off a Mclaren at Firebird Main during HPDE sessions. It's the ultimate sleeper car. It's also the somewhat-rare 2-door no-sunroof combo, which saves about 200lbs. It dyno'd at 420WHP (see below) hence the 500CHP claim - very conservative for AWD.

It hasn’t been driven much the past 18 months, as I was holding onto it for a buddy who wanted to buy it, but he has undergone cancer treatment and has had to back out of purchasing it for obvious medical reasons. On the plus side, low mileage.

I have receipts for all upgrades and most services in a binder as well. My local servicing has largely been done at Tuning Gruppe in Mesa and We Dont Lift Racing in Tempe, with one visit to Camelback VW.

The list of upgrades includes:
APR Full Stage 3 GTX turbo kit
APR Intercooler
APR Carbonio Intake
APR FSI High Pressure Fuel Pump
APR 3" Downpipe and Exhaust w/ Black tips
APR Runner Flap Delete
South Bend stage 3 Clutch & lightweight flywheel
Spullen short shifter and cable bushings
Spullen spherical catch can
Sport RR 36way adjustable Coilovers w/ camber plates (removed, currently stock)
Epic Euro Tubular control arms w/ Hemi joints
Whiteline Front and Rear Sway bars
Whiteline swayer end links
HPA Haldex Controller
ECS slotted rotors
ECS steel braided rear brake lines
EBC yellow brake pads
APR rear wiper delete
Vent Boost Gauge w/ pod
18x8 Enkei pf01

I have taken the very rough sport suspension off (pictured) and put the stock suspension back on. I've kept the former, in case you'd like to re-swap them, but I recommend leaving it. Makes it a really fun daily driver now without shattering your spine or risking scraping undercarriage.

The car also has APR’s No Lift Shift feature, where you can keep the gas pinned while accelerating and shifting, and only put in the clutch. It’s spooky to do at first, but it hold boost safely (for about ¼ second before it gives up on you) and allows you to keep the turbo spooled while shifting, making it EVEN faster.

CL ad with pics:

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
So much want!~~but just searching the VIN shows that this car has been bought and sold several times and this exact ad was used for one of its previous sales.One price was in 2018 on a site called Deadclutch for $29.5K and the latest was a site,Built for Backroads for $20.5K.It is also currently listed on Craigslist :unsure: .Seems a bit suspicious to me.GLWS but shoppers really need to research this one very carefully.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
EDIT: THE VEHICLE IS SOLD.

So much want!~~but just searching the VIN shows that this car has been bought and sold several times and this exact ad was used for one of its previous sales.One price was in 2018 on a site called Deadclutch for $29.5K and the latest was a site,Built for Backroads for $20.5K.It is also currently listed on Craigslist :unsure: .Seems a bit suspicious to me.GLWS but shoppers really need to research this one very carefully.
Appreciate the thoroughness, and you aren't wrong on its ad history necessarily... Yes, I had a very similar ad on VW Vortex up in 2018 (two actually?), as I've owned the car for about 3 years, but then I took it down, because as I mentioned, a buddy of mine wanted to buy it, and we got it fixed up and I waited on it for him while he had a large health complication come up, but ultimately his life priorities changed and he had to bail on the commitment, and so I'm still sitting on this car. That's already addressed in the ad, full candor.

I was notified of the Built for Backroads article, when they saw the CL ad I also have up - really appreciated it. Not sure why having it listed in more than one place is "sus"... Unless there are some terms somewhere of exclusivity for VW Vortex, but I'm not aware of it, that seems ludicrous, but almost what you're implying? I've also got it listed on Cars.com and Facebook. I want to sell the car. Why would I not?

It has definitely had at least 2 other owners besides me, one of them being my friend Joseph Calderon. Never attempted to hide that.

Research the car all you want, I'm an open book, and will do my best regarding what I know, but the criticism feels unwarranted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts