VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I be able to use a knock sensor on my solid lifter head. I have heard that the noise the lifters make could cause the KS to retard the timing. Is this a constant problem or will it only happen occasionally. My car is pinging under load and I need a solution. What are my other options? I have 11:1 compression and the best gas I can get is 92 octane.

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: Solid Lifter head + knock sensor (vwnut82)

toluene dude.
sherwin-williams
duron
any "serious" paint store.
Dump a 10-30% mixture in and your pinging will be gone, and you will haul much ass.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Re: Solid Lifter head + knock sensor (mrkrad)

Myself and many others run knock sensing ignitions with solid lifter heads and have no problems. My motor is also near 11:1, although I can get 93/94octane. The issue of "engine noise" triggering the ks is within the realm of possibility, but I think it's probably fairly far down on the list of "wtf is wrong with my engine?".

[Modified by Andrew Stauffer, 5:15 AM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Re: Solid Lifter head + knock sensor (Andrew Stauffer)

quote:[HR][/HR] The issue of "engine noise" triggering the ks is within the realm of possibility, but I think it's probably fairly far down on the list of "wtf is wrong with my engine?". [HR][/HR]​
Different frequency, the "microphone" will not "hear" it.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Re: Solid Lifter head + knock sensor (vwnut82)

I haven't heard any real life issues with this via all the info I have gained re: Audi 2.0 liter 10:1 bottom end w/ K/S & Solid Lifter JH head hybrid.
No problemo.
TBerk

·
Registered
3,523 Posts

The knock sensor can pick up valve noise but it has to be abnormally loud for it to do so (to large of a valve lash). Have seen this happen on hydro heads with a bad lifter (very loud).
Should not be a problem on a properly working solid head.

·
Banned
14,893 Posts
Re: Solid Lifter head + knock sensor (gearhead455)

The Knock sensor is tuned to a very narrow frequency range, lot's of different engine noises can be picked up by it, a noise like a valve tap isn't at just one frequency, the tap will emit a sound through a range of frequencies, if the sensor is within that range it will get picked up.

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

Yea, solid lifters don't need to be noisy, hydraulic lifters were introduce to avoid having to adjust them, there should be no problem using a knocksensor with solid lifters but the correct clearance is more important than without the sensor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.