VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
15,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I asked what it would be like if I took out my resonator and just ran a pipe where it was. I got a slew of responses from, "It will hurt your performance because of lack of back pressure." to "It will give you better performance".
So, I want to settle this. If I take out my resonator, will it:
A) Ruin my performance because of lack of backpressure?
B) Sound like crap?
Someone said that I would only loose power if I run a bigger sized pipe, ie 3.5 or something. I'm just looking at keeping stock piping, so they said I wouldn't loose any backpressure or power. Some say I will regardless.
Some say it will sound like crap, some say it's awesome.
Can we settle this?

· Registered
2,671 Posts
Re: (Minker17)

I took the suitcase out of my mk3, replaced it with stock piping. No difference in power, and its just loud enough to make people pay attention when I want them to.
Im definately looking at the 2.25 magnaflow setup tho. Sounds so much better.

· Registered
9,411 Posts
Re: Solve This Resonator Question Once And For All.... (Minker17)

Just go to a performance exhaust shop and have 'em weld in a 2.5" system with a Flowmaster outlaw instead of the OEM resonator. I think just removing the stock resonator wouldn't sound too great. $300 total will get you a magnaflow muffler, outlaw race resonator and welded up. Sounds amazing on the VR6, too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.