VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'll try to be as thorough as possible. This is my daily driver and has left me completely stranded (luckily at my house.) It has had 0 symptoms leading up to this moment. I go out to my car and the key won't turn at all. I immediately figure "ignition lock cylinder housing." So I order a replacement, take off the old one (which was indeed completely locked up - freed it up with a hammer and got the old tumbler/key out.

Put on the new housing, but same key/barrel, same ignition switch. It now turns fine, has resistance, etc. BUT now the car does almost nothing when turning the key. Turning to the first position results in the DRL light coming on the dash (no other accessory dash lights/indicators.) Turning it to the "start" position turns off the DRL and does nothing else.

So in summary,

ISSUE: After ignition lock cylinder replacement (which failed out of the blue), when turning the key, only the DRL comes on, and nothing else happens.

Tests:
1. Tried a new ignition switch, no go. (Also tried turning EACH ignition switch itself while connected, outside of the housing, but had the same exact results.
2. Tried a new, generic tumbler/key barrel, no go, same results.
3. Pulled every fuse in the engine compartment and resistance tested them, all good.
4. Tried jump starting (for the heck of it.)
5. Radio works.
6. Windows do NOT work.
7. Power locks work.
8. Door-open chime works when key is in ignition and door is open.
9. Interior lights work.
10. Multifunction display ONLY comes on when I open the doors. It soon after turns off. Turning the key does NOT illuminate the MFD, only the "DRL" dash indicator and lights.
11. Double checked that every connection was firmly seated.

I'm about to lose my mind on this one, lol. I thought this would be simple and straight forward swap, but now I literally can't do anything with this car. Any help or references is extremely appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So the car was running fine before you started the swap of the lock housing, might want to go back and check all the connections, Have a scan tool?
Thanks for the reply! Correct, it ran fine with 0 problems until the cylinder locked up without any warning the other day. Took everything part pretty carefully, and re-connected it all two times now to make sure I didn't miss any connections. Everything seems pretty firmly seated in its appropriate place. I do have a generic OBD II scan tool, will that give any info or do I need a VW specific tool?

Update: SOLVED. Pin 18 on the steering control module port was bent and not making a clean connection. Straightened it out, and everything came back to life. Found a thread on here of someone else who had a bent pin that wouldn't go back in after they took it out the first time, so shout out to him, as well!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts