VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my most recent project car came sans audio system, entirely. I wanted to keep it simple and wasn't looking forward to a same-old cd player in the console(42Draft 3 gauge panel where cd player should go from the factory). I don't use cd's and there aren't many radio stations up here that you can listen to and not lose the signal of after driving for 15 minutes. Most of the ipod only systems I found when searching were using the audio jack only (headphone output). Anyway, enough background- here's how you do it using the proprietary output:
1) Buy an Ipod RCA cable off ebay. Expect to pay about $15 shipped. Be sure to get the proprietary output model so you can charge your ipod while playing music in the car and get slightly better sound quality:

The next piece was a little tricky to find. It's a volume control device for audio signal on rca cables... $35 from Crutchfield in their home entertainment section. You need this between the ipod and the amplifier because the volume on the rca output is not adjustable by the on-screen control on the ipod. You can do technically do without this but your volume will be the same all the time...

Lastly, connect your speakers directly to the amp and you're done. I have the ipod and amp triggered to turn on by using the key-in wire on the back of the ignition switch (brown with red stripe).
I'll post up pics once it's 100% buttoned up and pretty- I have a couple days of interior work left. Enjoy.

·
Registered
25,085 Posts
Re: Solved for the masses - Ipod Only Audio in MK2 (DieGTi)

Quote, originally posted by DieGTi »
Be sure to get the proprietary output model so you can charge your ipod while playing music in the car and get slightly better sound quality

Recommended vendor/brand?
I've got a amp sitting around to do just this once the car is running.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Re: (F14MK2)

Quote, originally posted by F14MK2 »
looks like i gotta try this so no one will try to steal my radio

you won't have a radio to steal

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (VRClownCar)

Boosted20v - Buy whatever brand you're comfortable with. The one I bought off of ebay is unbranded but I figure they're all made in China anyway.
The series of the system is: ipod - ipod rca cable - crutchfield rca inline volume control - amp - speakers.
Here's a link to the rca volume control device:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1...p=552
Here's a link to the exact seller/item for the Ipod proprietary RCA adapter that I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-RADIO-...%3A50

·
Registered
354 Posts
quick note, ive seen those rca knobs at lowes and home depot in the home audio/video section if you dont want to order them online.
i cant wait for the full write up, because im sick of having a deck in my car.

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
FV-QR

lookin forward to seein the finished product

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: FV-QR (Erratic)

You could pull that knob off the shaft (jokes here pls _______________) and replace it w/something from Radio Shack that's black, plastic, smaller, and generally more car-like.
...come to think of it, a mirror adjustment knob off a Mk4 would be nice.

Modified by Jman5000 at 8:33 AM 1-28-2009

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Re: Solved for the masses - Ipod Only Audio in MK2 (jettaowner718)

Quote, originally posted by jettaowner718 »
you can also just get a amp that has a remote volume knob
Or if you are like me and have 3 black PPI art series amps and a PPI PAR-225 Pre Amp EQ you'll find a way to make it stealthy and cool :p

Modified by iwanaleya at 6:56 AM 1-28-2009

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Re: Solved for the masses - Ipod Only Audio in MK2 (jettaowner718)

Quote, originally posted by jettaowner718 »
you can also just get a amp that has a remote volume knob

A lot of Rockford Fosgate amps come with those.

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Solved for the masses - Ipod Only Audio in MK2 (iwanaleya)

The control knob will be mounted to the top of the cubby hole from behind (*chuckle*), under the kneebar in the console. You won't be able to see it at all and only the knob will be poking through the hole (naughty!).
I would like to see people take this information and go organize their own setups and post back results. There will be a wide variety of components with different results. I would have preferred the same guts in a car audio appearance but for my application/installation it won't make a difference- and I couldn't find one in car audio format. If you have a link to the car one, post it up.

·
Registered
8,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

A lot of amps come with inline gain control. I believe the internals of the gain control will be different than the volume control posted here. The amp I'm using has gain control which does control the output volume but it does not go to zero, more like conversation level volume. If someone else wants to jump on that comparison then I would be all ears.

·
Registered
7,051 Posts

IIRC Mason and Chris G had Ipod audio in their rigs, but were using carputer hard drives to run them.
I like your idea better and may use it in my Passat.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

you wont have much adjustment as far as eq unless u add one in...or front to rear bias unless ur amp has these controls

1 - 20 of 118 Posts