VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Well - I think I did it. I have a cheap and easy solution to fix the side mirror whistle that seems to plague a lot of MKVI Jetta owners.

It took a considerable amount of time to figure out what exactly was happening. I tried tape, putty, little pieces of plastic - nothing worked. What finally clued me in was a rainstorm. I was driving home from work in the rain the other night and noticed that the ride was QUIET. Just wind noise and no whistle. When I pulled in to my garage I took a look at the drivers side mirror and noticed that rain had filled a small gap between the black plastic housing and the painted mirror cap.

The next morning I took another look at the mirror and the rain had dried. The small space was now very evident. I don't know why I hadn't seen it before. It almost looks like the mirror housing is not properly aligned or tightened to the mirror cap. This creates a small space where air can enter the mirror. THAT'S WHERE ITS COMING FROM! I think this might be a mold issue from the factory or maybe just a bad assembly on a lot of different cars.

So - here's how I fixed it.

I took some electrical tape and masked off the black mirror housing. I then put another strip on the painted mirror cap about 3mm away. I bought some black automotive silicone at the auto store and filled in the area. I smoothed out the silicone at an angle so that the crack was filled and there was a nice 45 degree angle. I made sure to put silicone across the entire top and down the inside of the mirror. I let the silicone set for about 2 minutes before pulling off the tape. The result looked great - you can't even tell its not a factory seal. I did this for both mirrors.

I let this dry for 12 hours before driving. I didn't want to risk it moving around.

Whistle gone. It was very windy too with lots of crosswinds. I kept expecting it not to work, but so far it's been 4 days of driving with no whistle. There's still normal wind noise - but I can totally deal with that.

I will post pictures tomorrow of the process and what materials to buy so someone else can try it. I think the fix cost a total of $10 in materials and took about 45 minutes to do.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
POST pics! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Yeah this solution has been around in the early days of the mk6 forum. People freaked out about it. It's calmed down a lot more now. I think the rattle thread has the solution posted there as well. I just took some black matte vinyl and covered the signal and it took care of it.
See here:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As promised - pics of whistle fix process

OK, here you go!

Items needed:

• Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning the area
• Q-Tips or cotton balls to clean with alcohol (iso alcohol pads would accomplish both obviously)
• 1 tube of Permatex Black Automotive Silicone found here for $4.63
• Professional level electrical tape like DuckTape Professional found here for $2.99
• A rigid plastic applicator. A caulk applicator would work. It should have a hard, sharp edge that can achieve an angle in the silicone.
• Towel or wet rag to wipe off excess silicone.
• Gloves - I made the mistake of not using any. This silicone does NOT mess around. It gets everywhere and will not come off of your skin for days. It stains bad. Just be careful with it!

Here are the pictures of the process:

This is the offending gap between the painted mirror cap and the black mirror trim - NOTE: It is NOT the bigger gap that is painted - it is the small gap directly to the left of the black plastic. I recommend filling in the entire length of the mirror. The whistle comes from any air getting inside the housing. Time to fill it in!

Items needed for the process - I had already used the silicone once for the passenger mirror - note the mess. Ugh.

Isopropyl alcohol and Q-Tips at the ready for any mess. Trust me, there will be.

Tape off the black plastic trim with electrical tape. Be sure to seal the tape firmly right up to the very edge. You want clean lines here! NOTE: I had already done some of the silicone on this mirror and had to take it off because there was an air bubble. No big deal - once it dries you can dig it out and do it over as I am doing here. It just blends right in with the good portion.

Tape off the painted side and leave about 3mm clearance in the gap. Make sure your line is tight and you PRESS down the tape hard. You want a nice clean line when you pull it off. If you get sloppy here you might as well plan on doing it over. Clean the area with alcohol first and let dry. You want good adhesion with no wax on the surface.

Fill with Permatex - any silicone that gets on the car can be removed with iso pretty easily.

Squish it in there good!

Use the caulking tool to spread it out at a 45 degree angle. The goal here is to not allow the air to hit the hard edge of the black mirror trim. In one fluid motion, pull the silicone across the mirror with your caulking tool. It should look something like this when done. NOTE: I also filled in any gaps down the inside of the mirror!

If you need to try again make sure to clean off your spreader. It gets messy otherwise.

Wait about 60 seconds and then carefully pull the electrical tape straight up. The silicone should stick well and leave a nice clean line. This one turned out great - blends right in!

Here is the passenger side just for comparison

Thats it!:D

I let this dry in the sun for about 12 hours before I drove the car. The silicone is really tough - its not going anywhere. Worse case scenario I may have to do this again in a few years if it chips or pulls up. No big deal - I don't think it will though.

The thing that annoys me about this the most is that it cost me under $10 in materials (that I only used a very small portion of.) If VW cannot find a way to cheap way to "mass fix" the gap in the mirror housing then there is no reason that they cannot produce a small rubber seal or gasket that fits around this piece. They could either stick it on with silicone or produce a piece that has some 3M tape on it. It would cost them about $1 per car. Seriously. :mad:

Its funny that someone else did this too in almost the exact same way I did - I thought I was the first :)

Hope this helps guys.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nice find and fix.

Seriously though, why do we have to track down and re-engineer fixes to all of the rattles, clicks, creaks, and whistles these cars make due to poor engineering, cheap materials, and poor assembly practices. Where is this "German Engineering" VW brags about?!?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Nice find and fix.

Seriously though, why do we have to track down and re-engineer fixes to all of the rattles, clicks, creaks, and whistles these cars make due to poor engineering, cheap materials, and poor assembly practices. Where is this "German Engineering" VW brags about?!?
"You get what you pay for" as they say. I've never driven one but I assume that Audi's aren't like this.

Also good find :thumbup: Will try this later

·
Registered
169 Posts
"You get what you pay for" as they say. I've never driven one but I assume that Audi's aren't like this.

Also good find :thumbup: Will try this later
You get what you pay for, unless you are talking about the TDI. Then you are paying $25k for a $16k car, with a diesel engine in it!

Golfs, JSWs and Audis don't have the Craptastic build quality issues that the new Jettas have...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You get what you pay for, unless you are talking about the TDI. Then you are paying $25k for a $16k car, with a diesel engine in it!

Golfs, JSWs and Audis don't have the Craptastic build quality issues that the new Jettas have...
I don't share the same opinion I guess. I agree that the MKVI Jetta has some opportunities when it comes to interior build quality. No argument there. BUT the engineering and the engine are still pretty darn amazing. I know I am happy.

Would I like an Audi or a BMW? Yep. Am I at a place in my life where I can afford one? No.

Every modern car was designed by thousands of people with computer precision. The assembly is where they got it wrong in my opinion. Just not as much care for exacting standards.

VW should realize this and at least focus on what they CAN do after the car leaves the factory - fix the little issues that seem to be widespread because of sloppy assembly. If they just took that route I think people would be much happier knowing that thy are upholding the original vision of the designers and engineers that made this car.

I really love my Jetta and I don't mind fixing little issues - I actually enjoy it. My goal is to get it as close to factory perfect as possible so that I know I am driving the car that it was ultimately designed to be.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hey everyone,

Well - I think I did it. I have a cheap and easy solution to fix the side mirror whistle that seems to plague a lot of MKVI Jetta owners.

It took a considerable amount of time to figure out what exactly was happening. I tried tape, putty, little pieces of plastic - nothing worked. What finally clued me in was a rainstorm. I was driving home from work in the rain the other night and noticed that the ride was QUIET. Just wind noise and no whistle. When I pulled in to my garage I took a look at the drivers side mirror and noticed that rain had filled a small gap between the black plastic housing and the painted mirror cap.

The next morning I took another look at the mirror and the rain had dried. The small space was now very evident. I don't know why I hadn't seen it before. It almost looks like the mirror housing is not properly aligned or tightened to the mirror cap. This creates a small space where air can enter the mirror. THAT'S WHERE ITS COMING FROM! I think this might be a mold issue from the factory or maybe just a bad assembly on a lot of different cars.

So - here's how I fixed it.

I took some electrical tape and masked off the black mirror housing. I then put another strip on the painted mirror cap about 3mm away. I bought some black automotive silicone at the auto store and filled in the area. I smoothed out the silicone at an angle so that the crack was filled and there was a nice 45 degree angle. I made sure to put silicone across the entire top and down the inside of the mirror. I let the silicone set for about 2 minutes before pulling off the tape. The result looked great - you can't even tell its not a factory seal. I did this for both mirrors.

I let this dry for 12 hours before driving. I didn't want to risk it moving around.

Whistle gone. It was very windy too with lots of crosswinds. I kept expecting it not to work, but so far it's been 4 days of driving with no whistle. There's still normal wind noise - but I can totally deal with that.

I will post pictures tomorrow of the process and what materials to buy so someone else can try it. I think the fix cost a total of $10 in materials and took about 45 minutes to do.
Dude!!! If this works then I will just fall over and cry. I cannot stand that DAMN sound!!!

BTW - same thing here: if it rains the noise stops!!!

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk, yo!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello all, I had the mirror whistle issue as well on both mirrors. I informed my dealer and they said there was a TSB bulletin to correct the problem. What they do is replace the exterior mirror caps (the black part housing only) The new part actually fills in the gap shown in the photos. My invoice said that they performed TSB 66-11-03. Have been driving for a week and no wind noise. Hope this helps! Note: Removing the mirrors must be tricky, because the dealer broke one of the mirrors and had to replace it.

·
Banned
1,913 Posts
Good fix and great DIY.

I'm sure it'll be stickied.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello all, I had the mirror whistle issue as well on both mirrors. I informed my dealer and they said there was a TSB bulletin to correct the problem. What they do is replace the exterior mirror caps (the black part housing only) The new part actually fills in the gap shown in the photos. My invoice said that they performed TSB 66-11-03. Have been driving for a week and no wind noise. Hope this helps! Note: Removing the mirrors must be tricky, because the dealer broke one of the mirrors and had to replace it.
I wish the dealership I use had offered this. They told me that the noise was a known issue but that there was nothing that could be done on my model. This was LAST MONTH btw.
The first thing I wanted to try was tightening up the black housing but I could not figure out how to do it. It looks like the entire mirror has to be removed. Quite a job.

Interestingly enough, my wife's 2012 Tiguan has the exact same mirror design - hers however is built correctly with no gap at all. Her Tiguan is quiet as a mouse when you drive it - NO engine, road or wid noise. Must be the "built in Germany" quality.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I wish the dealership I use had offered this. They told me that the noise was a known issue but that there was nothing that could be done on my model. This was LAST MONTH btw.
The first thing I wanted to try was tightening up the black housing but I could not figure out how to do it. It looks like the entire mirror has to be removed. Quite a job.

Interestingly enough, my wife's 2012 Tiguan has the exact same mirror design - hers however is built correctly with no gap at all. Her Tiguan is quiet as a mouse when you drive it - NO engine, road or wid noise. Must be the "built in Germany" quality.
My vehicle has been at the dealer 8 different times over the year, for different issues and rattle noises. Yesterday I just heard another new creaking noise, thinking its coming somewhere underneath the dash. Noises in this car seem to never end. I've owned Honda's and Toyotas, and they had plastic interiors as well. The Jetta is the noisest by far. The quality in the way the car was put together (interior wise) is very poor. I can deal with a plastic looking interior, but the assembly part on putting the pieces together needed to be more thought out. The car drives great, but I can't enjoy the driving with all the noises the car makes. I feel like I need to call the dealer once a month just to see if any new Tech Service Bulletins have been issued, and see if they apply to my car. Unfortunatley, this will be the last VW I purchase. It's funny, I sold my 2010 Civic EX to purchase this Jetta SE w/Conv Pkg, because the Civic had alot of road noise. I guess now I know I can deal with road noise more than I can rattles in a car. I'm disappointed, because I really like the way the car drives and looks. That's what sold me on it. By the way, where abouts in Michigan are you located? I am just outside of Grand Rapids.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts