VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Plans as of now is to build a street-able car capable of running 10.99 or better with a little bit of show mixed in

Hey everyone, thought I'd finally post up a build thread to help keep me inspired to do this car.
I've had the car for a little over a year and managed to keep it mostly stock. I wanted to keep the car 100% stock since at the time I had two other projects. A drag civic and a rallycross hyundai. Now that they're gone, I'm focusing on my jetta.

When I first got the car from a nissan dealership,

The long beaches on it Need a lot of work, Two has curb rash and one needs paint, I'm thinking of having them done back to stock color or pearl black. I eventually want to get a set of gli wheels.

First mod was to get a boost gauge

Debadge

Painted front grill

Had to do the mandatory stickers :laugh:

And just to give you an idea of how much of a 180 this is for me this was my last project :p

Ordering coilovers on payday. And euro rubstrips a little after that. I should start doing joey mod headlights this week.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Looks like a good start. Another reflex silver Jetta :thumbup:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got a little sidetrack and didn't get around to ordering the coilovers. :( But I did make a quick little intake for it

Also just had a gonzo tuning stage 2 tune installed. Going to be ordering the dv so I can safely run at full boost. Anyone who's on the edge about gonzo, go for it great tune and the people are great to work with.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The name Gonzo Tuning sounds as sketchy as that tune probably is...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Been I while since I did anything to the car. installed a eurospec dv, and changed the plugs. I've been working on a rally car that I'm trying to put together, and taking welding school, so my car has been on the back burner.
It doesn't seem to like hauling around all my welding gear.

Took it down to waterfest and it turned into a nightmare. Saturday I ran in the drag race and couldn't keep the intercooler couplings on. I couldn't get more than 60 feet down the track with out it popping. Gave up on the drag race and limped it to the hotel to get her ready for the next day. Bought new turbo clamps and tightened the hell out of them.

Sunday I enter the autocross. Same problems, the couplings won't stay on. To get through the day I had to baby it out of first and get off the throttle in the straight. Killed my times and ended dead last. Limped it home and found out that my stock side mount has a broken mounting spot. When the car either wheel hops or the system flexes due to the psi, the couplings shake off. Needless to say a fmic is in the near future.

So pissed off at the car's performance, I decided that my punishment should be a set of ultimos.

Not going on the car till after winter.

I plan to weld up a new turboback exhaust and front mount inercooler for the car after winter. I'll also be filling the notch, and a few other small goodies.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Been real so going since my job has been cutting back, I finally did manage to get my coilovers on and plasti dip the rub strips for now.

Yes, my driverside door is off tone, A full paint job will come one day.

Can't lower it anymore until I get some spacers up front. I'm just barely clearing the coil.

I've fried the clutch, and since I'm almost at the 70,000 mile mark this winter I'm have the car down to do my timing belt and clutch.

Next up will be some new wheels one work pics back up.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got new front spacers so was finally able to lower the front a bit more. Now Im riding on the sway bar, so a extended end links will be coming in soon.

One of my wheels was losing its clear coat so I dipped it white, then took it to the local meets and let everyone sharpie it. was going to do all four like that, but I've grown to like just one being done. Some of the ink is fading off.

Then some one was nice enough to hit the rear of my car and run off.:mad:

So now the car will be needing new paint. I'm buy a new beater so I'm going to have some down time on this car. New plans for the winter is full gli lip kit and skirts, black suede headliner, new stange two clutch fmic, 3 inch turbo back, new wheels, and some other goodies.

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
+1 for the NES controller.

Search username Nito, he is selling GLI valences and skirts for dirt cheap in Orlando.

·
Registered
169 Posts
IF you saw my long beaches, you wouldn't be complaining! :p Going to be a little while before I can buy a set of new wheels...planning on getting miro 111's, and with that, I know I'll be needing spacers.

Quick question:

You said that when you put the spacers on your car, you're riding on your sway bar and that you'll be needing an extension...so, if I purchase a new set of wheels and grab spacers, will I have to purchase extensions as well? If you don't mind, can you give a quick explanation on how this works? #imanewb

Hope to see more updates on your car soon!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IF you saw my long beaches, you wouldn't be complaining! :p Going to be a little while before I can buy a set of new wheels...planning on getting miro 111's, and with that, I know I'll be needing spacers.

Quick question:

You said that when you put the spacers on your car, you're riding on your sway bar and that you'll be needing an extension...so, if I purchase a new set of wheels and grab spacers, will I have to purchase extensions as well? If you don't mind, can you give a quick explanation on how this works? #imanewb

Hope to see more updates on your car soon!
When I got the new spacers I lowered the front a little bit more. So now when I hit a bump the axle contacts the sway bar. It's due to the angle of the driveshaft coming out of the trans. My friend has a 2.0 and his angle is different, hes just about at the same height as mine and he clears the sway, but he is closer to the frame and will need to notch his before I do mine. At least as far as I can see. You may not need to run the extended sway bar links, if your clearance is to close you can also either cut out your swap bar or get a new one that allows the driveshaft to clear. Since you have a vr6 I'm not sure if you'll have the same problem that I have at my height.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Going a little slow on thing car. About to pick up a new beater (miata) and I have a drag civic thats getting shipped back up to me in march. so my time/ money/ attention is a bit divided.

Did my joey mod headlights, didn't come out perfect but I'm not to worried about it.

Headlights started the day out like this.

Then ended like this

On the car bad shot

Stood out in 38f degree rain while removing and putting the car back together. I like how they came out, I'm going to take them apart again in spring and retro fit projectors and fog lights so I'll touch it up then.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I broke one of my struts. As much as I'd love to fault the build quality of racelands, I hit a real bad pot hole that shot the front in the air.
Hard to see but its cracked all the way around.

So I've been letting the car sit. But while shes down I've been collecting parts for it.
Gli pedal set

Three spoke wheel

Then I wanted it to look like a 337 wheel so did red stitching

And got a set of gli taillights

Also I'm buying a set of rc off a friend.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts