VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
581 - 600 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Here is some stuff that I figured some of you may like.

"Pulling A Hat Out Of A Rabbit

This was the theme of a Volkswagen campaign Mr. Smykal dreamed up himself and then sold to Volkswagen of America. The dealer promotion involved a hat, which Mr. Smykal designed and made, which was in the back of a Volkswagen Rabbit. "People would come into the showroom and pull a hat out of the rabbit," he says with a smile."
Source: http://claymarketing.com/tcmgtpm.html
Ha, I have one of each of those hats. Never knew the story behind them. Thanks!

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
1,190 Posts
Really like the running bunny badge. Might have to go on a hunt for one (maybe even two) for my Caddy.

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
1,190 Posts
Good luck there. Other than the silver one posted earlier, these are the only 2 I've seen in the last 30 years.
I figured as much. If I decide to put running bunnies on it I'll probably just have someone make them in vinyl.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I figured as much. If I decide to put running bunnies on it I'll probably just have someone make them in vinyl.
Shouldn’t be too hard to scan and 3D print right? There’s a nice guy on Facebook and I think Etsy (Henry G Silva aka “Badge Badger?”) that does really nice repro badges including the bunny, so shouldn’t be hard for him to do the bunny on its own.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Re: Some Mk1 history tidbits I wasn't aware of... (Vegeta Gti)

There are a few facts that are incorrect in the article.
-round-headlight rabbits. All Rabbits up to 79/80 had round headlights.
-wider track of the GTI? Due to the wheels maybe. The A-arms and rear beam are the same as a non-GTI Rabbit
-pronounced fender flairs?
If you're going to go thru the effort to write an article on the subject, why use a modified car in the photos? And why not use a car that had been washed recently....

-Dave
* to '79 and '81 for diesel, i.e. '78 was the last year for rounds on the gas model, and '80 was the last diesel with rounds.

581 - 600 of 610 Posts