VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
601 - 610 of 610 Posts

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
Sorry if this has been covered, but did you know there were at least three versions of the classic MK1 steel wheel?

I knew there were 4.5" and 5" width versions both ET 45.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Automotive exterior

13x4.5J ET45

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

5Jx13H2 ET45

Now I have discovered that the spare from my 1982 Jetta is actually 5.5 inch width with ET 38.

White Automotive tire Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Bumper

5 1/2Jx13H2 ET38

I would love to find three more 5 1/2s. Does anyone have more information about the story behind the different width 13" steel wheels?

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,758 Posts
now find 5 jettas and take their spare tires! ....

i knew the black spare in rabbits was thinner, didnt realize there was a 5.5
from now on every jetta scrapper i see im going to dig in the trunk carpet to see whats in there

the black spare depended on year i guess. my 78 had a full silver spare, my 81 had a black one that was thinner.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Back in the day, spares were full size tires, so it is still a spare.

Many newer cars have those space saver spare tires, pretty much worthless but it does get you back on the road. Those are called spare tires too.

Some newer cars have no spare tires, they usually have run flats or a compressor. There will be a time when people will wonder what a spare tire is.

I suspect that knowing what a spare tire is will determine your age.

·
Registered
78rabbit1.5LGP & 82rabbitpickup1.6DGC
11,758 Posts
well no, the black spare was a standard vw steel wheel, it was thinner and obviously painted black inside and out
these days its just on a stack of other wheels without tires
if normal stock wheels are 4.5inch, it must be a 4inch wheel. i dont have access to it currently but im looking through my old photos...

--edit
yep here we go

appears to be factory paint
and yes i remember when i painted my 4 wheels i compared it to the spare and determined its a 4inch wheel

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
Did any of the US cars have the silver/black painted steelies? View attachment 174670
I saw a beautiful, early 80s Convertible Rabbit that sold on BaT a year or two ago that had wheels like that. Don't know if they were original or not, but it was a ridiculously low mileage car, as I recall.

I think they look beautiful like that, but am too lazy to do two tones for my steel wheels.

601 - 610 of 610 Posts