VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OHHH Great and faithful forum, I need your help!
My 87 VW GOLF has a very unuseful querk... It has gotten into a habit of not starting just when I need it tooo... At first I thought it was the plugs because it seemed to not be getting fire. I changed them and it ran. Then a few day and the prob. is back... I would clean the plugs and pow back again, then down!!! I recently replaced the tank pump and the filter, I though I had it narrowed down to the main pump but then I put a gallon of gas in it and pow! it ran!!! I thought, well the gage is not working sooo I went to fill my dub up... It only held about two gallons! I am stuck!!! Can a pump work one day and not another only to start three days later???
PLEASE, I need help

· Registered
3,416 Posts
You say you cleaned the plugs and it started? Were the plugs fouled with oil or something? If so then bigger problems await. Could be valve seals or piston rings. Also check the plug wires, maybe they are bad and when you reconnect them they work, only to come loose or arc out once the engine vibrates. Also check your cap and rotor for cracks, carbon tracks etc.. Also VW rotors like to make contact with the points inside the cap, make sure the cap is on perfectly straight.

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (brandon002)

thank you sir, I have looked at your suggestions... During my investigation I pulled everything off, cleaned it (did not seemed to be fouled with oil{THANK GOD!} ) put it all on and no go... It would not start, but a few days later,,, BAM it fired right up

· Registered
4,558 Posts
Re: (harddaznight)

it's the hall sending unit located inside you're distributor...it is responsible for the spark and if it's old and has too many miles, it will crap out. I just changed this on my Jetta and the thing runs like a dream!

· Registered
74 Posts
Re: (Ted)

My car had the same problem. Turns out on the distributor cap there is 5 wires, the middle on was a cheap company, and when my brother would try to start the car, sparks would fly out. Car ould not start. I went to the junkyard, got some old Bosch stuff, started up on the first crank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.