VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh so heres the deal. When i get on it the turbo will start to spool then around 3 grand ish i can hear the dv leak out boost. I've tried the following: New DV ( old one was good), New N75, New MAF, alot of hours vag com-ing ( when the car does boost the ecu has no controal of the boost, it will ask for 18 and the trubo will boost 23) Does anyone have any clue? Oh and when the car dies off at 3 grand theres a honking sound. Please help im out of ideas!!!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Re: Someone HELP ME!!!! (Landspeed_Gl)

This may sound silly , but check the intake tube(boost tube ) where it connects near the right wheel, It may have come disconnected.

·
Registered
16,076 Posts
Do you have a gauge? I'm guessing you do.
Next do you have a CAI? That could be what you're hearing, just air rushing up the tube.
What kind of DV do you have? Shim it if you're chipped/running an N75.
Also, it may be "set" to 18, but it'll peak higher than that, it's normal. As for when you let off the gas that's the boost being released I'm guessing.
PS: I saw in your sig. you're using an Audi TT DV. Well, if it does need shims, you're screwed, cause you can't do that. You need an aftermarket one, like forge 007 or turboXS.

Modified by -Khaos- at 3:24 AM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I do have a gauge
Yes i do have a CAI and Yes the HONKING sound is coming from it.
Shim it? I dont understand explain to me ok.

·
Registered
16,076 Posts
lol, it's HONKING? Dude, you blew the DV, it's caput. Go buy an aftermarket DV.
Shimming is what people do with piston design DV's, they use springs, and by taking up more space that was originally for the spring (via use of shims) you place more tension on the spring, making the DV stiffer.
It's honking not because it's not "stiff" enough, but because the seal on the diaphram is broken. You'll either have to buy another one the exact same and go through this mess again, or get a piston design (TurboXS or Forge 007 gets my vote).
Just so you know, the Forge 007 needs to be lubricated (every oil change), the TurboXS doesn't. Both can take the boost, but the 007 can be reversed to be made louder (whistles).

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its not the dv i've replaced it. the spring can still hold the boost just fine. Its a computer problem I think. When I reset my ecu the car runs great. But after I trun the car off then back on. It starts honking agin.

·
Registered
16,076 Posts
That doesn't make sense to me... How would the computer ask the DV to leak boost? It wouldn't, it would use the wastegate, and you couldn't hear that.
See if you can borrow someone's DV. These Bosch DVs cannot hold the extra boost, they can hardly hold any boost whatsoever! Yes, that includes the Audi TT DV if that's what you replaced your old one with.
If it sounds anything like this your DV is dead. It doesn't matter if you put it in two minutes ago or not.

Modified by -Khaos- at 8:21 AM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
16,076 Posts
Re: (-Khaos-)

ALSO:
"
( when the car does boost the ecu has no controal of the boost, it will ask for 18 and the trubo will boost 23) Does anyone have any clue?
"
That's what changing the N75 valve does. It's a mechanical way of increasing boost. For example, my APR chip is 1bar. The computer is telling the turbo to boost... 1 bar. But with my N75J it's letting me get out 2 or 3 more PSI out of it.
You said you changed the N75, I'm guessing you did upgrade it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No My buddie put the j valve in his car and gave me his old n75. So its not upgraded. And my honkind sound is no where near that sound. I did find a post in the tech section about this sort of problem. It might have something to do with my Intercooler Piping. But that still doesnt make sence to me.

·
Registered
16,076 Posts
It doesn't make sense to me either... I'd really have to hear it to help you, just from the description I'm 87% sure it's the DV, but if you say it's not, then...? :shrug:
As a last resort check all the piping. You can use a smoke machine if you have to. But try a new DV just to humor me, it's an easy fix if it is.
The OEM clamps are known to come loose sometimes, just don't know why it would honk like that from letting off the gas...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts