VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone with a MK3 Bentley manual could flip to the trans section, and find the little table (I'm assuming it is set up like the MK2 Bentley) that lists the trans codes available in the MK3 models.
A picture of the page/table would be ideal, if possible....but just a listing on the codes should do the trick.
I don't really need to know anything other than which 020 trans were used in the MK3.
Thanks in advance!!
Broke

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: Someone with MK3 Bentley answer a question for me please.... (Broke)

You wont get any help from these Muppet's, most of them can't even drive, anyway why don't you go buy a Bentley if you need to know something, you've got no chance of getting the answer here.
Seeing as this is the mk3 forum you'll need at least 1 pic for them to look (not great at reading) so here's one for you.

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Someone with MK3 Bentley answer a question for me please.... (Amazed reader)

Quote, originally posted by Amazed reader »
You wont get any help from these Muppet's, most of them can't even drive, anyway why don't you go buy a Bentley if you need to know something, you've got no chance of getting the answer here.
Seeing as this is the mk3 forum you'll need at least 1 pic for them to look (not great at reading) so here's one for you.

Thanks for the bump and the pic, but I was hoping to get a pic of the table for the trans codes. Just looking for info on the 020 trans that was availble for the MK3, like the 2.0L 4cyl models....

I suppose I could buy one, but all I need (right now) is the possible 020 trans codes in the MK3 models.
Is that so hard of a question to answer, or do you just find it fun to post unrelated matter and offend people?
Broke

·
Registered
95 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Broke »
Is that so hard of a question to answer, or do you just find it fun to post unrelated matter and offend people?

It looks like it doesn't it and who's offended i didn't say anything not true, did i?

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Someone with MK3 Bentley answer a question for me please.... (Amazed reader)

It looks like it doesn't it and who's offended i didn't say anything not true, did i?

I'd venture to say that if they own cars, then chances are they know how to drive. The reading bit, as I'm sure you are aware is just silly. Nearly everyone knows how to read.
Writing, as clearly shown in your post, is not one of YOUR strong points though, is it?
There should be a comma before 'doesn't it'.
There should be either a comma, or a question mark after 'doesn't it', and if you used a question mark, the first letter of the next sentence shouldn't be in lower case, like your use of the letter 'i' when you must have meant to use'I'.
So, if you don't know the answer to which 020 transaxle codes are in the MK3 models?, then you shouldn't post.
Broke

·
Registered
225 Posts

This is that you need?
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Someone with MK3 Bentley answer a question for me please.... (Vw_Power)

Quote, originally posted by Vw_Power »
This is that you need?

Very nearly, and I wonder if maybe the MK3 Bentley doesn't have the same type of table the MK2 does....
Here is a pic of the MK2 table I am referring to....

You can see the codes under the engine types (trans codes ACH, AGS, AOP, 4S, etc), and then under the codes it lists the ratios. It looks like in your pic the 3 letter codes would be the engine codes, ACC, AAZ, and ABA.
Thanks for the reply! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Broke

·
Banned
9,489 Posts
Re: (lucid INTERVAL)

Two of them are "CHE" and "DFQ", they're different codes but the same gear ratios... I'm not sure if there are any other MK3 020 trans codes other than these two...

·
Registered
24,439 Posts

You are just one big bundle of joy and hope, aren't you, Skippy? You're just adding to the MkIII forum rep.

Broke is a MkII guy looking for an answer and doesn't want to spend $40 on a MkIII manual that he'll probably never need again just to find out a couple of stupid codes.
How about the next time you need an answer to something, we all tell you to go out and spend $40 or $50 to find out for yourself?

Cool star chart, though.
Brian, the ABA engines came with AMC, CHE, or DFQ code trannies.
Other 020 tranny codes listed for the MkIII are the APW, CHB, DFN (90hp 1.8L), and ATH, CHD, and DFP (for the 75hp 1.9L). I checked and from what I can tell, all the 020 trannies in the MkIII came with 100mm drive flanges.
If you need a hand comparing gear ratios, lemme know direct.

·
Registered
24,439 Posts
Re: (lucid INTERVAL)

Quote, originally posted by lucid INTERVAL »
if you have a 2.0, then look under the ABA section. i didnt thinkt aht was so hard...

In the MkII manual that Broke has, the only 2.0L listed in the 9A 16V, so he's not going to find a cross-reference for the ABA engine that's in the MkIII, will he?

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Someone with MK3 Bentley answer a question for me please.... (DonL)

Quote, originally posted by DonL »
ABA engines came with AMC, CHE, or DFQ code trannies.
Other 020 tranny codes listed for the MkIII are the APW, CHB, DFN (90hp 1.8L), and ATH, CHD, and DFP (for the 75hp 1.9L).

I was nearly done with a long post with lots of figures and numbers in it, when the power flashed.

OK. Here is where I am at....I thought that all MK3 8V cars were equipped with a trans that has a 24mm input/main shaft (measured at the seal). That is the rule always thrown around, MK2 16V and MK3 8V trans are stronger because of the 24mm input/main shaft.
I also thought (because of some VW factory papers I have seen) that the trans that came with a 2.0L engine used a larger output/pinion shaft as well, in the 4th gear area. They also are equipped with an additional circlip for 4th gear.
OK, so the AMC, CHE, & DFQ should all come hooked to a 2.0L engine, that's what I thought originally, you confirmed it, and some papers state that also....also between the 3, all of them are the same ratios, I believe, and the pic from the MK3 Bentley above suggests this as well, that all 2.0L engines had same ratios in the trans.
I have a CHE and a DFQ torn apart, and the output/pinion shafts are not the same. The DFQ (made in 97) has a "small-splined" 4th gear, the CHE (made in 95) has a "big-splined" 4th gear. DFQ uses one circlip for 4th, the CHE has 2.
This would make the papers wrong, or it means I have a DFQ with a swapped in pinion shaft.
I reckon I'll just have to get more MK3 trans in stock and torn down to figure out what the rule is on these 4th gear splines.

Thanks for the reply though! It took me a second to remember those 2.0L gaskets and seals so kindly provided to me many years ago
Broke

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

OK, the 2.0L is the x-flow ABA, right? I think so, I stuck one from a 94 Jetta into my old 87 Golf....but the other engines....
What is the 1.9L, a diesel?
I didn't even know MK3s used a 1.8L, what is it? Gasoline? Is it found in the Golf and Jetta, or is it for another model, or what?
Broke

·
Registered
24,439 Posts

OK, the 2.0L is the x-flow ABA, right? I think so, I stuck one from a 94 Jetta into my old 87 Golf....but the other engines....
What is the 1.9L, a diesel?
I didn't even know MK3s used a 1.8L, what is it? Gasoline? Is it found in the Golf and Jetta, or is it for another model, or what?
Broke

Yeah, the 1.9 is a diesel, and the 1.8 came in the Canadian-spec CLs.
I'm gobsmacked about the 4th gear shafts.

I double checked the Bentley, and the code designations are manufacturing date-dependent. The AMC from 10/91-8/92, the CHE from 8/92-12/95, and the DFQ from 12/95 on.
The Bentley doesn't cover the guts of the tranny, so I don't know what else to tell ya. Either the engineers learned something, didn't learn something, or found they can save 20¢ with the smaller shaft and single circlip.
BTW, whatcha mean "have to get more MK3 trans in stock"? How many do you need, anyways?

Editted to correct DFQ manufacture date initiation.

Modified by DonL at 2:27 AM 5-24-2004

·
Registered
2,108 Posts

anybody have a bentley they want to sell me, a spare one in readable condition

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Yeah, the 1.9 is a diesel, and the 1.8 came in the Canadian-spec CLs.
I'm gobsmacked about the 4th gear shafts.

I double checked the Bentley, and the code designations are manufacturing date-dependent. The AMC from 10/91-8/92, the CHE from 8/92-12/95, and the DFQ from 12/92 on.
The Bentley doesn't cover the guts of the tranny, so I don't know what else to tell ya. Either the engineers learned something, didn't learn something, or found they can save 20¢ with the smaller shaft and single circlip.
BTW, whatcha mean "have to get more MK3 trans in stock"? How many do you need, anyways?

So they were using both the CHE and DFQ then from 12/92 to 12/95 then...ok.
I'm wanting MK3 and MK2 16V trans for rebuilding. I'm "gearing up" (bad pun) to rebuild the 020 trans for something to do from home. I've invested in the proper tools and equipment, set the garage up for everything, I've gathered a small stock of 020 (about 13 or so) trans, and have them stripped and inspected, tossing any worn or damaged parts, leaving me with the need to get some more gearboxes http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I'm planning on finding a junkyard to supply me with some, getting more than one at a time to save money, and rebuilding them, then selling them on an exchange basis to keep stock in and rotating.
I wanted to be able to get trans from "93-99 2.0L Golf/Jettas" when I called these junkyards, knowing I should get (assuming the trans wasn't swapped from original) one of those 3 (DFQ, CHE, AMC), and knowing they are all the same, same input and output shafts....but it looks like it won't be that easy

If it was, I suppose every one would be doing it

Anyway, that's why I'm digging into the guts and specifics of these things

I plan on selling a few rebuilt 020 boxes, then using that money to tool up for the 02A/02J/02M boxes, where the money is http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Broke

·
Registered
24,439 Posts

So they were using both the CHE and DFQ then from 12/92 to 12/95 then...ok.

B-money, I'm a typographically-challenged idiot. The DFQs ran from 12/95 on, not from 12/92. They ran the AMC, CHE, and DFQ in sequence.
Sorry.

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

B-money, I'm a typographically-challenged idiot. The DFQs ran from 12/95 on, not from 12/92. They ran the AMC, CHE, and DFQ in sequence.
Sorry.

No prblem, i was kind of wondering, since the CHE trans picked up right when AMC ended, etc....ok then.
I'll just buy what I can, compare them all, and eventually learn it all by heart
Broke

1 - 18 of 18 Posts