VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a disscusion with my uncle, and he's telling me that once you get HID lights, you are suppose to have that little washer that cleans them, because whenever the healight cover gets dirty, it's performance decreases due to those dirty light covers. (you know how audi has it, that little washer nozzle that comes up from the bumber and pressure cleans those light cover)
Is that true, or is my uncle bullsh*ting me, or does he have no idea WTF he's talking about.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Re: Something about HID (silverGTI2000)

that goes with any headlight including HIDs but no, you don't "NEED" them and trust me, they HIDs will perform through a film of dirt. do all cars that come with HID's from the factory have a headlight washing system? no, the don't. don't you think that if it was required for HID's that they would? tell your uncle to find another approach to try and stop you from spending your money.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Well, in general, when your light covers are dirty, less light will get through. Is that what you wanted to know?

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (mfs378)

no , he meant to say that if they get dirty, they will decrease their performance forever. like they won't be performing as good as they used to. that's what he meant

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Re: Something about HID (silverGTI2000)

They´re mandatory with HIDs in most European countries (and in some Skandinavian countries on all cars), that´s why some European cars sold in the US have´em. They´re obviously not mandatory in the States.
And dirt decreases performance on all lights, but it´s probably even more disturbing on HIDs.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
i know the washers are also used for dirt but i thought mainly because of when salt is on the road and gets kicked up to your headlights

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Re: (silverGTI2000)

Quote, originally posted by silverGTI2000 »
no , he meant to say that if they get dirty, they will decrease their performance forever. like they won't be performing as good as they used to. that's what he meant

Tell him to put down the pipe

·
Administrator
87,830 Posts
Re: (silverGTI2000)

Quote, originally posted by silverGTI2000 »

I think what he meant was that dirt (on the front lens) will refract light in different directions than it was designed to go.
So, the more dirt you have on the outside lens the more glare you will have.
Always keep your outter lens clean after driving in the rain or behind a dirty truck...it makes a HUGE difference to other drivers' eyes!
Later,

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Re: (nater)

I just apply Rain-X to mine....

·
Banned
704 Posts
The dirt/stuff causes glare - bad for other drivers
headlight washers are required in most european countries, but not the US
you are not required to have auto-levelers on HIDs in the US (e.g. S2000/NSX)

·
Administrator
87,830 Posts
Re: Something about HID (fahrfrumlosin)

Quote, originally posted by fahrfrumlosin »
Carry a bottle of windex and some rags with you in your car - problem solved

That's exactly what I do!!! It really isn't that big of an issue at all but plenty of ppl drive around w/o knowing how much glare that can cause.
RainX works fine too but will repel water quite well...but it has a bit more trouble with dirt.
Later,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts