VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
401 - 415 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
As much as I would like to see this kit it's been 3 years and realistically 1 kit made. I understand this was a side project outside of work but given the very slow delays not much confidence that you will ever get a complete kit any time in the next year or so. Rushworth have assured a kit for the MKV by Xmas if anyone's shopping for a rotrex kit outside tvs and carliceous options. And no I'm not affiliated with them

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 VW R32 - (Rotrex Supercharged)
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
As much as I would like to see this kit it's been 3 years and realistically 1 kit made. I understand this was a side project outside of work but given the very slow delays not much confidence that you will ever get a complete kit any time in the next year or so. Rushworth have assured a kit for the MKV by Xmas if anyone's shopping for a rotrex kit outside tvs and carliceous options. And no I'm not affiliated with them

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
I can’t argue with you on that. You gotta do what you gotta do. The only thing I can say is this one is well sorted and has so many tweaks to it that it no longer feels like a research kit. When it does finally release, its very safe to say that it will be the most reliable kit available. It’s got more hours and iterations than any other kit you can find.

I have to give Vito a lot of credit for sticking with it so long, with the idea being he doesn’t want to sell someone a kit that could cause them problems down the road. It’s been an expensive project for him so far. He has created and tested a flexible way of packaging the system that can be adjusted to meet different power goals. The concept is now being copied to varying degrees by at least two others. I guess they say “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”... so the concept is that good. The ideas have been snapped up by others who are running faster towards a production kit. Just be advised that there are more lessons learned here than just a bracket kit. It’s not just making a SC fit the space. There are quite a few differences between the MKIV and MKV that need to be addressed, before you should just slap on a kit and go, or else risk getting into your own multi-year science experiment. Vito (and passively me) are taking those bullets so you don’t have to.

I too wish others could enjoy this package as much as I have. It sure is fun to drive. Looking forward to many more years with it.

I am still hopeful that Vito can manage a way to get to production. His attention to detail is still unmatched. And you are spot on, that the car has been in his garage for the better part of three years. We have been fully transparent about the reasons for delays and have shared what have become the solutions. So you all are benefiting in those small ways to this point and I am happy to continue to share lessons learned if you decide to tackle the challenges yourself.

Wish you the best - which ever path you take.

For now, just call me PeeWee. I’m a loaner (Dottie).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
783 Posts
I can’t argue with you on that. You gotta do what you gotta do. The only thing I can say is this one is well sorted and has so many tweaks to it that it no longer feels like a research kit. When it does finally release, its very safe to say that it will be the most reliable kit available. It’s got more hours and iterations than any other kit you can find.

I have to give Vito a lot of credit for sticking with it so long, with the idea being he doesn’t want to sell someone a kit that could cause them problems down the road. It’s been an expensive project for him so far. He has created and tested a flexible way of packaging the system that can be adjusted to meet different power goals. The concept is now being copied to varying degrees by at least two others. I guess they say “Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”... so the concept is that good. The ideas have been snapped up by others who are running faster towards a production kit. Just be advised that there are more lessons learned here than just a bracket kit. It’s not just making a SC fit the space. There are quite a few differences between the MKIV and MKV that need to be addressed, before you should just slap on a kit and go, or else risk getting into your own multi-year science experiment. Vito (and passively me) are taking those bullets so you don’t have to.

I too wish others could enjoy this package as much as I have. It sure is fun to drive. Looking forward to many more years with it.

I am still hopeful that Vito can manage a way to get to production. His attention to detail is still unmatched. And you are spot on, that the car has been in his garage for the better part of three years. We have been fully transparent about the reasons for delays and have shared what have become the solutions. So you all are benefiting in those small ways to this point and I am happy to continue to share lessons learned if you decide to tackle the challenges yourself.

Wish you the best - which ever path you take.

For now, just call me PeeWee. I’m a loaner (Dottie).

I couldn’t agree more with Dave. I am a huge fan of Vito’s work and waited just as long for his kit. But you can’t wait forever... I Made numerous attempts to reach out to him but never got an answer back. I can’t wait for Dave to get his car back and start enjoying it finally.

I have opted for a TVS stage 4 kit with the c38 blower. It will be on the car at Wookies and if Dave’s car is back we can compare the kits side by side.

The only kit that is a close copy of Vito’s is the rushworth kit. The TVS kit has been on market for 10 years in Europe so I gotta give them credit for that. The only thing that is the same between E9 and TVS is blower and pipe routing...

TVS mounting-

Rushworth (mk4 been assured it’s gonna mount pretty much the same)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
I couldn’t agree more with Dave. I am a huge fan of Vito’s work and waited just as long for his kit. But you can’t wait forever... I Made numerous attempts to reach out to him but never got an answer back. I can’t wait for Dave to get his car back and start enjoying it finally.

I have opted for a TVS stage 4 kit with the c38 blower. It will be on the car at Wookies and if Dave’s car is back we can compare the kits side by side.

The only kit that is a close copy of Vito’s is the rushworth kit. The TVS kit has been on market for 10 years in Europe so I gotta give them credit for that. The only thing that is the same between E9 and TVS is blower and pipe routing...

TVS mounting-

Rushworth (mk4 been assured it’s gonna mount pretty much the same)

That’s cool Tony! Can’t wait for a ride!

·
Registered
7 Posts
thats mk4 though, I only have 2 pics of the TVS mk5 kit as they are very strict on people duplicating there kits. Ultimately the UK boys seem to run the RUF/carlicous kits because of price and convenience. The TVS kit although a great set up costs a kidney and that is without install costs. For me it was wanting to base my kit off the the C38 unit and build from there. I dont know why but rushworth will offer the kit in two phases, food for thought for people really wanting to start there project SC builds

·
Registered
783 Posts
thats mk4 though, I only have 2 pics of the TVS mk5 kit as they are very strict on people duplicating there kits. Ultimately the UK boys seem to run the RUF/carlicous kits because of price and convenience. The TVS kit although a great set up costs a kidney and that is without install costs. For me it was wanting to base my kit off the the C38 unit and build from there. I dont know why but rushworth will offer the kit in two phases, food for thought for people really wanting to start there project SC builds
Actually I think the TVS kit is a great value.

It includes every nut , bolt, gasket, spark plug, tunes and all for about $8200. That’s installed turnkey our the door.

I was going to run the RUF kit too but ultimately the TVS guys made me a great deal and have been awesome to work with. The Rushworth kit is going to be nice but I’m not getting my hopes up for the XMAS time frame... TVS is telling me about 5 weeks and it will be on my door step.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Thats a great price what stage is that? Thats only slightly more than stage III carlicous kit
That’s stage 4

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #409 ·

·
Registered
2008 R32 CW Track Monster
360 Posts
Just curious - did you need to upgrade the cooling system(s) to handle the extra heat from your setup? I have the larger DSG cooler which has helped some, and I'm thinking of adding the aux radiator on the driver's side. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 ·
Just curious - did you need to upgrade the cooling system(s) to handle the extra heat from your setup? I have the larger DSG cooler which has helped some, and I'm thinking of adding the aux radiator on the driver's side. Thanks!
I have an intercooler for the intake. There is a dedicated radiator for the Rotrex system. Thinking about an aux cooler for the engine oil, but that is kind of a traffic jam of radiators in the front of the caR... have not considered a larger DSG radiator.

I don’t race, so temps never get out of the normal range, so those are nice to have but not a priority at this point.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 ·
Update:

I’ve had my ups and downs with this build. Two years ago, had oil leaks. Got that sorted. Last year had electrical gremlins - turned out to be a waterlogged ECU - that was all fixed by April this year. Then the cog belt and pulley died - all better now.

Right now, all is running great, fun to drive and hoping the caR will go forever!

Reactions: DJNastie

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #413 ·
Picture from one of the Hagerty Cars & last August.

Pretty, Pretty,

Pretty Good.

Reactions: HurfADurf

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #415 ·
Looking good and clean! Are you a noise-pipe remover?
Amongst a **** load of other stock parts!

Sent from my iPhone 13PM, using Tapatalk

401 - 415 of 415 Posts